It's Time to Play the Youngins

sportsfan8703

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really believe Buck isn't as big a fan of Sisco's as everyone else is. Hasn't started at all, even to give Castillo or Joseph a break or DH role. Doesn't get as much "garbage" time as others. If this is your "catcher of next year," don't you want to get him some time with the pitching staff he would be dealing with? Also, with him being a lefty, give him shots against right handed starters and relievers. He could even DH, like Alvarez did tonight.

It's kind of mind-boggling to me, I would think he'd want to evaluate Sisco with his own eyes in real games even if he wasn't sold on him.  I want to evaluate him behind the plate, it's much easier with the better video quality than watching Norfolk video. 

I don't think it's a knock on Sisco though, I think it's a knock on Buck.  I get the feeling ever since the trade deadline when DD wanted to sell, Buck fought against that, and now even when the playoffs are a distant memory he's still trying to prove a point that he was right about wanting to not sell. 

I like Buck, he changed the culture here, and that is extremely important, but maybe there is a reason his previous teams didn't win big until he left.  The Orioles aren't the kind of team that can't thrive on veteran talent alone (I don't know if any team can anymore), they need homegrown, cost-controlled talent.  Buck seems to have trouble differentiating recently between guys he likes as people and guys he likes as baseball players. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't have Sisco's game calling ability messing up our SP. Haha

At this point in the year are the Rays players really trying to run wild on the base paths?  If they do, who cares, let's see what the kid can do. 

Heck, have him catch Miley. Miley control the run game by himself. Plus what signs does he need to learn?  Fast ball nibble, repeat 85 times through 5 innings. 

Sisco is a CA guy I believe. He should be spending the offseason in Brady's boot camp. Adding 10 lbs of muscle for ST next year. 

The funny thing is, Mr. Defense, Austin Hays is getting starts and kicking and bobbling the ball around like a little leaguer. Missing cut off men. Buck will deal with those growing pains. Sisco just must not have a lot of "want to", or whatever cliche Buck justifies his decision with. 

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really believe Buck isn't as big a fan of Sisco's as everyone else is. Hasn't started at all, even to give Castillo or Joseph a break or DH role. Doesn't get as much "garbage" time as others. If this is your "catcher of next year," don't you want to get him some time with the pitching staff he would be dealing with? Also, with him being a lefty, give him shots against right handed starters and relievers. He could even DH, like Alvarez did tonight.

I think you're right.  Buck cares a lot about defense, or at least he claims to.  I think it's apparent Sisco's defense isn't at Joseph's or Castillo's level and thus he's not playing.  But that being the case, Sisco shouldn't have been brought up just to be an emergency 3rd catcher...it should have been Pena.  It makes absolutely no sense to start your #1 prospect's service clock just to sit on the bench as a 3rd catcher.  And Buck's claim on how beneficial it is for rookies to just soak up the major league experience is overblown, and much less important than having an extra year of team control for your top prospect.  And it's even more important for an organization that is not really successful at extending contracts of their young players.

7 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think you're right.  Buck cares a lot about defense, or at least he claims to.  I think it's apparent Sisco's defense isn't at Joseph's or Castillo's level and thus he's not playing.  But that being the case, Sisco shouldn't have been brought up just to be an emergency 3rd catcher...it should have been Pena.  It makes absolutely no sense to start your #1 prospect's service clock just to sit on the bench as a 3rd catcher.  And Buck's claim on how beneficial it is for rookies to just soak up the major league experience is overblown, and much less important than having an extra year of team control for your top prospect.  And it's even more important for an organization that is not really successful at extending contracts of their young players.

I think it's arguable who is better defensively between Sisco or Castillo.  If you put any weight into some of the pitch framing data, Sisco would just need to be an average framer to make up for Castillo's ability to throw out runners.  

Obviously, this is just the eye test (Sisco hasn't caught enough in the bigs to have any real data) but Sisco looks like a better target/receiver than Castillo.

It's mind boggling that Sisco is riding the bench. 

Ive really seen enough of the Dan and Buck show. I appreciate what they did and Buck will always be an Oriole legend to me, but it's time to move on. We need to start a new chapter, largely dependent on the Manny situation, not get the band back together for one more season. This could have disastrous consequences for the future as I'm sure he walks with us getting nothing but a pick. 

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's kind of mind-boggling to me, I would think he'd want to evaluate Sisco with his own eyes in real games even if he wasn't sold on him.  I want to evaluate him behind the plate, it's much easier with the better video quality than watching Norfolk video. 

I don't think it's a knock on Sisco though, I think it's a knock on Buck.  I get the feeling ever since the trade deadline when DD wanted to sell, Buck fought against that, and now even when the playoffs are a distant memory he's still trying to prove a point that he was right about wanting to not sell. 

I like Buck, he changed the culture here, and that is extremely important, but maybe there is a reason his previous teams didn't win big until he left.  The Orioles aren't the kind of team that can't thrive on veteran talent alone (I don't know if any team can anymore), they need homegrown, cost-controlled talent.  Buck seems to have trouble differentiating recently between guys he likes as people and guys he likes as baseball players. 

I think you have a good point. It's too bad he won't give Sisco some time behind the plate. It's frustrating to me. 

2 hours ago, Otter said:

I don't think it was Bucks decision on bringing up Sisco. He is just paying lip service to stay professional with that line.

You guys are way too much into drama for me.    The O's have two healthy catchers who've been here all year.    Buck doesn't need to have anything against Sisco not to be using him at C.     He pretty much said this when Sisco was called up.   We'll be eliminated in the next 2-3 days and then you'll see some Sisco.   It's got nothing to do with whether Buck likes Sisco or thinks he can be one of our two primary catchers next year, or some power struggle with Dan.   It's just the way he manages.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You guys are way too much into drama for me.    The O's have two healthy catchers who've been here all year.    Buck doesn't need to have anything against Sisco not to be using him at C.     He pretty much said this when Sisco was called up.   We'll be eliminated in the next 2-3 days and then you'll see some Sisco.   It's got nothing to do with whether Buck likes Sisco or thinks he can be one of our two primary catchers next year, or some power struggle with Dan.   It's just the way he manages.

I agree with what you said about Buck not engaging in a power struggle on this issue, and if I was a pitcher I'd much rather throw to Joseph than Sisco.  However, why did Dan call him up when he knew Buck probably wouldn't play him?  Dan's not stupid, and he's been around Buck for years and knows his tendencies.  He had to know that as long as we weren't mathematically eliminated, Buck was going to continue with the Castillo/Joseph platoon and avoid playing a rookie with questionable defensive ability.  Even if Sisco starts a few games in the last week, I'd still much rather have an extra year of service time.  So yes, for this issue and some others, I do think it's reasonable to raise the question of whether Buck and Dan are on the same page.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that is just the way Buck manages, but that doesn't make me dislike it any less.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hope you are right.

25 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree with what you said about Buck not engaging in a power struggle on this issue, and if I was a pitcher I'd much rather throw to Joseph than Sisco.  However, why did Dan call him up when he knew Buck probably wouldn't play him?  Dan's not stupid, and he's been around Buck for years and knows his tendencies.  He had to know that as long as we weren't mathematically eliminated, Buck was going to continue with the Castillo/Joseph platoon and avoid playing a rookie with questionable defensive ability.  Even if Sisco starts a few games in the last week, I'd still much rather have an extra year of service time.  So yes, for this issue and some others, I do think it's reasonable to raise the question of whether Buck and Dan are on the same page.

I think, particularly for a catcher, there is some benefit to seeing how the veteran catchers prepare for a game, call a game, etc.    You aren't really going to get that in spring training.    I think this time does benefit Sisco.    And I do think he'll catch a couple games this week.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think, particularly for a catcher, there is some benefit to seeing how the veteran catchers prepare for a game, call a game, etc.    You aren't really going to get that in spring training.    I think this time does benefit Sisco.    And I do think he'll catch a couple games this week.   

And neither will he get the experience of catching in ST that he could get now. Watching from the bench and increasing his aptitude isn't impossible, it just doesn't give him the much needed ML in game experience.

Archived