Question for Greg Pappas

Please don't hate me, Greg. :D

I was wondering if you could shed some light on the 2009 draft class yet. Is it true that it's going to be pitcher heavy? Barring injury and/or poor performance, any ideas as to who the top pick(s) will be yet?

I'm not Greg but I have heard that three of the top guys are Steven Strasburg, a RHP out of San Diego St, North Carilina RHP Alex White, and Missouri RHP Kyle Gibson.

Strasburg is considered to be far and away the best prospect this far out.

I'm not Greg but I have heard that three of the top guys are Steven Strasburg, a RHP out of San Diego St, North Carilina RHP Alex White, and Missouri RHP Kyle Gibson.

Strasburg is considered to be far and away the best prospect this far out.

Thanks man. :)

Looks like we'll be after pitching two years in a row. We got a lefty stud this year, perhaps next year we'll go after a righty. :D

Please don't hate me, Greg. :D

I was wondering if you could shed some light on the 2009 draft class yet. Is it true that it's going to be pitcher heavy? Barring injury and/or poor performance, any ideas as to who the top pick(s) will be yet?

To label a draft this early is little more than folly (love an opportunity to use 'folly' :D), as the top prospects and even the draft as a whole can change quite a bit in one year.

There are certainly names that would seem to be prominent heading into the next season, with key college players at the forefront...

Steven Strasburg, a right-handed starter from San Diego State is the phohibitive favorite at this point to go #1 next year... some others of note...

Kyle Gibson, RHSP, Missouri

Alex White, RHSP, North Carolina

Matt Graham, RHSP, Oak Ridge HS, (TX)

Mychal Givens, SS/RHSP, Plant HS, (FL)

Devin Marrero, SS, American Heritage HS, (FL)

Grant Green, SS, USC

Dustin Ackley, 1B, North Carolina

Robert Stock, C/RHSP, USC

Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami-FL

However, this list will change, as a couple of these players may fall, new players will rise and the overall dynamic of the draft will alter to a degree from whats expected.

BTW, I found this to be helpful also... from MLB.com.

"Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, University of North Carolina: This year's Draft was big for college first basemen types, especially those who hit left-handed. Ackley could help continue the tradition with a sweet swing that has enabled him to hit .405 as the Tar Heels entered Super Regional play this weekend.

Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri: Aaron Crow went this year; next year, it will be Gibson's turn. Gibson went 9-4 witt a 3.84 ERA for Mizzou, striking out 96 over 86 2/3 innings and should be its Friday starter next season.

Mychal Givens, SS/RHP, Plant HS, Fla.: A five-tooler and two-way threat, Givens can do it all on a baseball field. He's an extremely athletic infielder with a plus arm. That comes in handy on the mound, where he throws in the low 90s.

Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami: The Hurricanes lost many top hitters in this year's Draft, but Jackson will be around to anchor the lineup. A true shortstop, Jackson has led Miami with a .374 average entering Super Regional play, to go along with a .441 OBP and .528 SLG.

Chris Jenkins, RHP, Westfield HS, NJ: He's 6-foot-6 with big-time arm strength. He throws the fastball in the low 90s, but there were rumors of him touching 96 mph this spring.

Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS, Texas: He might be the top prep pitcher in the Draft class and almost certainly the best southpaw. He's a projectable lefty who can get his fastball up to 92 mph.

Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State: If you were going to pick the top college arm in the Draft, it might be this guy. The All-American went 8-3 with a 1.57 ERA for San Diego State, allowing just 61 hits in 97 1/3 IP (.181 average against), walking just 16 and striking out 133.

Donavan Tate, OF, Cartersville HS, Ga.: It's looking like the Georgia high school ranks will be well represented yet again in 2009. Tate might be one of the best position players from the high school crop next year, he's a toolsy outfielder who's also a top-notch football player, just like his father, former NFLer Lars Tate.

Jacob Turner, RHP, Westminster Christian Academy, Mo.: Big and strong (6-foot-4, 220 pounds) with a quick arm, Thompson throws a fastball in the 90-94-mph range to go along with a good breaking ball.

Alex White, RHP, University of North Carolina: A pretty good prospect back in high school who went in the 14th round because of his UNC commitment, White has been a big reason the Tar Heels are playing postseason baseball now. He's gone 9-3 with a 2.66 ERA, striking out 95 over 81 1/3 innings"

To label a draft this early is little more than folly (love an opportunity to use 'folly' :D), as the top prospects and even the draft as a whole can change quite a bit in one year.

Hence why I apologized in my opening line. ;)

Thanks for the info by the way.

Overall how would you rank the draft? What picks do you like and dont like? Landers and Bundy look like gems. Do you think it was a bad move to pass on Melleville? Man to land him and Matusz would have been really something special. Thanks brutha.

Overall how would you rank the draft? What picks do you like and dont like? Landers and Bundy look like gems. Do you think it was a bad move to pass on Melleville? Man to land him and Matusz would have been really something special. Thanks brutha.

Thanks for asking... :)

Were I grading the draft based on what I think I know (;)), I'd say 'C-'. Melville seemed unsignable, but the Royals had a far greater chance to get him than we would. So not taking Melville seems wise in my view.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I liked our top 4 picks, but would have gone in another direction. However Matusz in particular is a great pick.

To copy a previous post, these are the latter picks I liked...

"RHP-Bobby Bundy (8), LHP-Nathan Moreau (11), LHP-Jarrett Martin (19), C-Xavier Lopez (25), and 44th rounder and Gaithersburg High's RHP-Kevin Brady in particular were picks I liked a great deal, later in the draft.

Matusz was a great pick, and Avery, Hoes and Hudson all have upside as hitters and while Hoes runs pretty well, Avery and Hudson are true burners.

While many of us are a bit forlorn about the choices, Jordan and the scouting staff deserve the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell."

Our Draft is growing on me. I would have loved to seen a couple of mashers in there like Danks or Raban but thats history. I have to say if we sign some of those gems we found in the later rounds i will be very happy. I also have to say the 2nd day made up for the first. I think we got some very nice talent in day 2. Im really hoping we sign Landers, Bundy, Martin, Brady and Hudson. Greg, do you know anything about the 6'6" 1st baseman we took late. Forgot his name i think he was from Cali. Thanks buddy.

Our Draft is growing on me. I would have loved to seen a couple of mashers in there like Danks or Raban but thats history. I have to say if we sign some of those gems we found in the later rounds i will be very happy. I also have to say the 2nd day made up for the first. I think we got some very nice talent in day 2. Im really hoping we sign Landers, Bundy, Martin, Brady and Hudson. Greg, do you know anything about the 6'6" 1st baseman we took late. Forgot his name i think he was from Cali. Thanks buddy.

This is an interesting article I found.. from LexisNexis.com

"Zach Ewing, The Bakersfield Californian

Jun. 7--Jarret Martin watched online as his named popped up as a Major League Baseball draftee, then took a call from the Baltimore Orioles, who'd like him to play with their organization.

There was only one problem for Jarret's mom, Dana.

"I can't find any Orioles stuff in the mall," she said.

Martin, a Centennial High grad, was drafted in the 19th round Friday as the 566th overall pick of the first-year player draft.

Fourteen rounds later, Ridgeview's Art Charles was also taken by Baltimore.

"I was just at home, watching the draft on my computer, and my name popped up," Martin said. "I was like, 'Oh, there's my name.' Then I got the call. It's pretty awesome."

Scouts considered Martin a high-round talent, but because he has signed with Cal State Fullerton, he can command a higher signing bonus than a typical pick.

"That's the reason I didn't go higher in the draft, because my number is so high," Martin said.

It's also the reason Martin could still end up at Fullerton. His "number," or the dollar amount at which he's told the Orioles he would sign, is significantly higher than what 19th-round picks would normally receive (around $25,000).

In the mean time, Martin -- who set a Central Section record with 18 home runs this season but projects as a pitcher at the pro level -- will work out at the Bakersfield College summer program under coach Tim Painton and play a few games with a Connie Mack team, hoping to impress the Orioles into paying.

"I didn't have a great year on the mound, so I scared off a few teams," Martin said. "But I believe I'm ready to get started in my pro career."

Martin might have a familiar teammate if he does. Ridgeview's Charles also was a Baltimore selection, the 986th pick in the 33rd round.

Ridgeview athletic director Brad Harris said Charles also has college options, among them Oregon, Fullerton, UC Irvine and Cal State Bakersfield.

"They haven't sat down and talked, so you don't know what they're going to do," Harris said. "But I know college is pretty heavy in his thoughts, too. Whoever gets him gets a class person, a solid citizen."

And maybe a new roommate.

"Art and I are pretty close," said Martin, who said he and Charles attended an Orioles workout together. "It worked out, and that's awesome that we can start our careers and play on the same team."

That C- is a bit pessimistic, IMO.

It appears we are going to walk away with the top pitcher in this draft and then at least three and possibly five other BA Top 200 guys. If we did that, we would probably blow away slot on several signees. Not sure we can ask for much more than that. I am sure the overall talent haul in that case would be well acknowledged by most draft experts.

Let's see who we sign, but I believe our draft will be well received by the experts.

If the seeding for the 2009 draft was set today the Orioles would have the number 17th pick. There looks to be 4 Top SS in the next draft and we could really use a SS. Should we hope the Orioles start to lose and everybody else wins? I'll take a winning season.

That C- is a bit pessimistic, IMO.

It appears we are going to walk away with the top pitcher in this draft and then at least three and possibly five other BA Top 200 guys. If we did that, we would probably blow away slot on several signees. Not sure we can ask for much more than that. I am sure the overall talent haul in that case would be well acknowledged by most draft experts.

Let's see who we sign, but I believe our draft will be well received by the experts.

This is the obvious question...time will tell.

Archived