Jones To Talk With Ownership In Offseason

Can_of_corn

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-adam-jones-20171001-story.html

I would not be an advocate to rebuild and all that stuff,” Jones said. “I’m only getting older. I want to win. I think you throw all your cards out there next year and see what you’ve got. Obviously, the All-Star break, the trade deadline and the waiver deadline are all significant dates to know where you’re at and where you stand, where you can either buy more or sell off and officially rebuild, but I don’t think you can mention that word ‘rebuild’ to Buck or Dan [Duquette] and them be too happy.

Maybe they should talk about Jones' declining defense in Center?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess the O's are supposed to just care about next year for Jones. Does anyone think he would move to RF of LF if it helps the team win? I don't. He has too high an opinion of himself to admit that he's not a good CF anymore.

I don't remember seeing a poll about whether or not the organization should go for a rebuild or not, but I have seen several posters wanting the rebuild. Who cares if Duquette and Showalter don't like it. I'd rather start a rebuild this offseason so that in 2019 we might have a team that will be good for several years, rather than one that might be good next year and then be lousy for several years.

If you posters are right that Jones wanted Davis, O'Day and Trumbo resigned, he has already made it impossible to do a total rebuild for at least another 2 years. Many thanks to Jones. Hopefully after next season he's chewing his gum for another team.

Jones is a highly competitive aging athlete in the last year of his contract.  I would expect and hope he wants the team to do everything it can to win in 2018.  I want players who want to win every single game regardless of its importance.  However, Buck/Duquette/Angelos are responsible for having a long term view and plan for the O's to be competitive now and in the future.  They shouldn't even entertain any opinions from a player on the long-term plan for the organization.  Unfortunately, it seems our front office/ownership are just as short-sighted as Jones.

I really don't see a reason to be nasty to Adam.  His OBP is the highest its been since 2012.  His OPS is the highest its been since 2013.   His RBIs fell  some but that is mostly because he agreed to leadoff.   The talk about him moving out of center should be tempered with the answer to the question "Who do the O's have that is better?

As far as his meetings with Peter,  yes he did want O'Day and Davis signed. And that is fine.   O'Day is a leader in the pen.  Adam didn't tell Peter to sign Chris for 7 years or to spend 161m.   That is on Peter.   As far as Trumbo goes,  I don't remember Adam leading the charge to re-sign him.  Adam's thing last year was to improve the outfield defense which was more about getting Trumbo out of the outfield.  I would expect if Adam talks to Peter he will promote spending on starting pitching which is a good request.

Adam's contract expiring is any interesting topic.   He will play 2019 at 33 years old.   It would appear that whether the O's resign him for 2019 has a lot to do with how he plays next year.  And probably how many years his next contract needs to be to keep him.

Overall I don't get the Adam thinks too much of himself argument.  Adam is confident leader.  A spokesman  for the team.   His confidence is a necessary element of who he is.   I see that as a plus not a negative.

To each their own but I didn't see any comments I would call "nasty".

Remember Adam did make statements about the outfield defense after last season.  If he wants it to improve than him moving out of Center would be a good step.  I have no idea if Jones in Center and Hays in Right would be better or worse than Hays in Center and Jones in Right.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To each their own but I didn't see any comments I would call "nasty".

Remember Adam did make statements about the outfield defense after last season.  If he wants it to improve than him moving out of Center would be a good step.  I have no idea if Jones in Center and Hays in Right would be better or worse than Hays in Center and Jones in Right.

Nor do I.

Saying that Jones could talk to  Peter about accepting a trade borders on nasty IMO.

Archived