Jones To Talk With Ownership In Offseason

Can_of_corn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How else would you see it?  Mind you I was using the military equivalents since my prior service was mentioned.

Jones is possibly bypassing Buck and almost certainly bypassing Dan to talk to the owner directly. 

If I am Dan than the fact that someone went by me to convince ownership to give Davis that idiotic contact yes I would be worried that Jones will talk Angelos into an extension.

Well if my contract wasn't up in a year anyway I'd be worried.  As is, I'd be working on my resume.

With all due respect to Jones, I dont care what he wants.  

This should be a situation where the owner sends them back to Buck and Duquette.  

What is the desired outcone of this, other than Jones goes to Angelos, than Angelos goes to Buck/Duquette saying "Adam wants X, Y, and Z, let's make it happen", either on a personal level to Jones or on roster construction.

23 hours ago, joelala said:

Show some respect.  He's been the face of our franchise for the last decade.  He just wants to win like all of us, and of course he wants to keep playing with the guys (Trumbo, Davis, O'day) who have helped the team win in the past, and whom he's gotten to know and love like his family.  He has the right to express his opinion to the front office.  It's 100% the front office's fault for LISTENING to him. 

Please leave Adam alone.

I didn't realize that Jones was such a delicate flower who can't be criticized.

I'm really sorry, MRS. JONES.

Jones talks with ownership every offseason. This isn't a new thing or a thing that means a whole heck of a lot. Angelos will nod and say thank you and then management will make the baseball decisions they think are correct. Some of which may align with Adam's thoughts, some not. It really doesn't matter, but it's good to let the guy be heard. Communication is always good. 

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would remind folks that Nick Markakis also spoke with ownership several times in various offseasons.

Juuuuust sayin.

Good point. Angelos favorite player who didnt get his option picked up. Hopefully Jones chats work out better than they did in the Fowler situation. 

I think this whole chain of command thing is overblown.    Buck decides whether Jones is playing, where he's batting in the order, whether he should play deep or shallow, etc.     If Jones tried to go to Angelos or even Duquette on an issue like that, I'd consider it an inappropriate attempt to go outside the chain of command.    Otherwise, if Jones wants to give the owner his opinion on rebuilding vs. reloading, it doesn't bother me, and it may make Jones feel like his opinions are respected and keep him a happy camper.    At the same time, I don't think Angelos should give Jones' opinions significant weight, just let the guy say his piece.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Jones talks with ownership every offseason. This isn't a new thing or a thing that means a whole heck of a lot. Angelos will nod and say thank you and then management will make the baseball decisions they think are correct. Some of which may align with Adam's thoughts, some not. It really doesn't matter, but it's good to let the guy be heard. Communication is always good. 

Exactly. This is business as usual.

There's chain of command, sure, but in a lot of work places it's entirely acceptable for an employee to talk to management above their day-to-day- supervisor. And, beyond that, this isn't like "most" work places. Adam has a manager, sure, but he's a very senior member of the organization.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:01 PM, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't happen in the Military, at least not from my experience.  You have a chain of command, you use it.  If you still have issues there are mechanisms in place outside the Chain. 

I had an issue with my Battery CO in Germany, I went to EO (They didn't help either but that's not the point).  I could have (and should have) taken the issue up with the Chaplain or with Brigade legal services.  

To me the issue isn't Jones talking with ownership, it is the idea of Jones bypassing Dan and possibly Buck to talk with ownership.

I think you're jumping to the conclusions that you expect but aren't backed up by facts.  

On 10/1/2017 at 8:50 AM, wildcard said:

I really don't see a reason to be nasty to Adam.  His OBP is the highest its been since 2012.  His OPS is the highest its been since 2013.   His RBIs fell  some but that is mostly because he agreed to leadoff.   The talk about him moving out of center should be tempered with the answer to the question "Who do the O's have that is better?

As far as his meetings with Peter,  yes he did want O'Day and Davis signed. And that is fine.   O'Day is a leader in the pen.  Adam didn't tell Peter to sign Chris for 7 years or to spend 161m.   That is on Peter.   As far as Trumbo goes,  I don't remember Adam leading the charge to re-sign him.  Adam's thing last year was to improve the outfield defense which was more about getting Trumbo out of the outfield.  I would expect if Adam talks to Peter he will promote spending on starting pitching which is a good request.

Adam's contract expiring is any interesting topic.   He will play 2019 at 33 years old.   It would appear that whether the O's resign him for 2019 has a lot to do with how he plays next year.  And probably how many years his next contract needs to be to keep him.

Overall I don't get the Adam thinks too much of himself argument.  Adam is confident leader.  A spokesman  for the team.   His confidence is a necessary element of who he is.   I see that as a plus not a negative.

This.  Find a CFer who's better if they want to move him to RF.  Maybe that's Hayes, maybe Mullins, I dunno.  Maybe it's not either of them and they have to explore a trade or FA.  RF is probably the only option, as Mancini is your everyday LFer unless they can somehow move Trumbo, which also wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Bottom line, if they want to have a chance at winning next year, they need to spend $$ on SP.  Cobb and another good starter, at the very least.  I'm not sold on Castro as a starter next year, too much of an unknown.  Same with Ynoa.  If they go into ST with one or both of them slotted for the rotation, then they're just setting themselves up for failure IMO.

Archived