Davis Talks Offseason After Frustrating Year (mlb.com)

Aristotelian

Wow, I can't remember a player being this hard on himself out in the open. I don't think he was wrong in his assessment, unfortunately.

https://amp.mlb.com/257008770-orioles-chris-davis-discusses-offseason-plans.amp.html

"I just feel like as a veteran player you have to be able to make an adjustment, and I did not do a good job of that this year on a day-to-day basis and it showed," said Davis, who entered Sunday's season finale batting .216 with 193 strikeouts in 127 games.

"It's been extremely frustrating for a number of reasons, but one of the main reasons being that I just feel like there were so many nights out there when I was just a name in the lineup. I didn't feel like I had contributed. Maybe defensively, but definitely not with my bat. And I look at the numbers now and the year as a whole and I feel like I'm a better player than that and I feel like these guys deserve a better product than what I've been giving them.

"There were times when I felt good and for whatever reason I wasn't able to consistently produce, and then there were times where I felt like it was kind of an uphill battle," Davis said. "And I think that's where you see a lot of the called third strikes. That bothers me. And anybody who's watched me play at all over the past few years knows I'm an aggressive hitter. I like to swing the bat. I think that's obvious. So, that in itself was inexcusable and it's extremely frustrating. But I think there are definitely mechanical things that I can do to give myself a better chance and ultimately at the end of the day that's all you can do."

I'm glad Davis is aware of how poorly he hit and how it affected the team, and that he seems motivated to try to address his issues.    But it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to bounce back, or whether he's simply a guy whose skills are eroding as he ages.   

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm glad Davis is aware of how poorly he hit and how it affected the team, and that he seems motivated to try to address his issues.    But it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to bounce back, or whether he's simply a guy whose skills are eroding as he ages.   

Frobby I think his skills have eroded. I would like for him to bounce back but I don't think he will. 

14 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Frobby I think his skills have eroded. I would like for him to bounce back but I don't think he will. 

Davis' ability to hit  a baseball seems very much diminished. I don't know enough about hitting a baseball or about Chris Davis to have a meaningful opinion as to whether that ability can be regained but it sure doesn't look like it can. I hope I'm wrong.

I still don't understand why a LHed hitter who is slugging .341 and striking out about 40% of the time (CD's September numbers) doesn't try to drop a bunt toward third base when the team is in need of a base runner.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Davis' ability to hit  a baseball seems very much diminished. I don't know enough about hitting a baseball or about Chris Davis to have a meaningful opinion as to whether that ability can be regained but it sure doesn't look like it can. I hope I'm wrong.

I still don't understand why a LHed hitter who is slugging .341 and striking out about 40% of the time (CD's September numbers) doesn't try to drop a bunt toward third base when the team is in need of a base runner.

I understand that just fine.

What I don't understand is all the strikeouts looking. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.   If he was swinging at pitches and was unable to drive them consistently, I'd feel like it was definitely a case of rapidly diminished skills.

But watching him take third strike after third strike, I feel there has to be some sort of mental or eyesight component involved.   Which I would hope is fixable... then we could FIND OUT whether his skills have completely diminished or not (bat speed, etc).

25 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Because it's not as easy as it looks.   The one time I recall him trying it this year, it went straight back to the pitcher.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because it's not as easy as it looks.   The one time I recall him trying it this year, it went straight back to the pitcher.    

Should practice it with great determination during this offseason.

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That's what I recall, and so far as I know that was the only attempt. You'd have to practice it a little. But the Orioles are the hardest working team in baseball, or so I've heard, and I don't see why a few hours of practice wouldn't enable him to bunt a low fastball successfully half the time.

I don't have any numbers, but it seemed to me that Chris had fewer called strikes and more swings-and-misses over the past couple of weeks.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agree the looking SO's were mind boggling, I mean ALOT of them were fat pitches right down the pipe. I mean even if you were late the bat should have been moving?

Archived