It's Raining Pitching Coaches - See 1 You Like for the O's?

mdbdotcom

Just two days into the off-season, we know that these major league pitching coaches will not be returning to the team they served this year. Should the O's pursue any of them?

• Jim Hickey, Rays
  • Derek Lilliquist, Cardinals
  • Dave Eiland, Royals
  • Dan Warthen, Mets

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Just two days into the off-season, we know that these major league pitching coaches will not be returning to the team they served this year. Should the O's pursue any of them?

• Jim Hickey, Rays
  • Derek Lilliquist, Cardinals
  • Dave Eiland, Royals
  • Dan Warthen, Mets

I don't know enough about them to form an opinion. 

42 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Buck has publicly supported Roger. It will be very interesting to see if the Orioles replace him. I think the Orioles just need better pitchers rather than a new pitching coach. I could be wrong though.

And a catcher who calls a better game. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

And a catcher who calls a better game. 

There was one thing I noticed this season: It wasn't so much the pitch, but the missed location. Many, many times the catcher (whoever was back there) would set up low and away, and the pitcher would serve up a pitch that looked like he was trying out for the Home Run Derby staff next season.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't matter.  You can't turn Wade Miley into Tom Glavine.  

Don't you guys remember when we had Leo Mazzone?  Doesn't matter who the pitching coach is.  

Agreed,  especially with veterans. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't matter.  You can't turn Wade Miley into Tom Glavine.  

Don't you guys remember when we had Leo Mazzone?  Doesn't matter who the pitching coach is.  

I'd put it differently - a pitching coach can only do so much.     Ask Jeremy Guthrie if Leo Mazzone helped him.   Ask Erik Bedard.    They'd both say yes.     But other guys like Rodrigo Lopez and Bruce Chen would say no.    And then there were guys who were beyond help.  

Miley's actually a guy who might click with the right pitching coach. Here's a guy who had a 2.8 BB/9 for his career coming into the season, and suddenly he's walking 5.2 per 9?   It wouldn't surprise me if some coach could fix him.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd put it differently - a pitching coach can only do so much.     Ask Jeremy Guthrie if Leo Mazzone helped him.   Ask Erik Bedard.    They'd both say yes.     But other guys like Rodrigo Lopez and Bruce Chen would say no.    And then there were guys who were beyond help.  

Miley's actually a guy who might click with the right pitching coach. Here's a guy who had a 2.8 BB/9 for his career coming into the season, and suddenly he's walking 5.2 per 9?   It wouldn't surprise me if some coach could fix him.  

I agree with you on Miley.

I don't know if I'd take the $12m risk though.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree with you on Miley.

I don't know if I'd take the $12m risk though.

Oh, I'm not saying that at all.   Just saying I wouldn't pick Miley as an example of a guy who stinks and who no pitching coach could help.  

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Hickey or Lilliquist

Both teams have had good pitching in the past. I guess one of those. As one poster said the O's need better pitching. Tillman, Miley or Kevin G. are not top flight pitchers. I hope at some time in the future they can draft and develop good pitchers the way they used to do. I yearn for those days when the team had good pitching. I remember when the team had four twenty game winners. I guess those days are gone though. 

Archived