Right Now, I Hate Baseball.

ORIOLE33

3 hours ago, mrpennybags said:

Right now, I'm liking baseball (at least compared with a week ago.)

o

When the Yankees made the late comeback in Game Four against the Astros, it was looking very much like the 1996 World Series in which the Braves won the first 2 games, lost Game Three, and were winning Game Four by 3 runs late in the game until Mark Wohlers coughed up that big lead, and the Yankees subsequently won the game in extra innings.

Instead of the Braves being up 3 games to 1 with a stranglehold on the series, the Yankees were right back in it at 2 games apiece, and then proceeded to win Games Five and Six to take the World Championship.

Similarly, the Astros failed to get that same 3 games to 1 stranglehold on the 2017 ALCS when their bullpen blew a big lead late in Game Four, and the Yankees then beat Astros ace Dallas Keuchel in Game Five. At that point, it was really disheartening thinking about the similarities between those two postseason series that occurred 21 years apart ........ thank goodness that the more recent one had a different ending than its historical predecessor.

o

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to hate that all World Series games are now played at night because the kids can't stay up to watch the whole thing. Now, I hate it because I can't stay up to watch the whole thing.

One of my favorite baseball moments of all time was walking home from school and turning on the TV just in time to see Bill Mazeroski's home run defeat the Yankees in the 7th game of the 1960 World Series. It was the ultimate walkoff, ending the game and the series. Even as a seven-year old, I hated the Yankees.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I used to hate that all World Series games are now played at night, because the kids can't stay up to watch the whole thing. Now, I hate it because I can't stay up to watch the whole thing.

One of my favorite baseball moments of all-time was walking home from school and turning on the TV just in time to see Bill Mazeroski's home run defeat the Yankees in the 7th game of the 1960 World Series. It was the ultimate walk-off, as it ended the game, and the series. Even as a seven-year old, I hated the Yankees.

o

I remember the last afternoon World Series Game.

It was Game Six of the 1987 Fall Classic, and Les Straker was the starting pitcher for the Twins in a must-win situation (they won.)

o

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I used to hate that all World Series games are now played at night because the kids can't stay up to watch the whole thing. Now, I hate it because I can't stay up to watch the whole thing.

One of my favorite baseball moments of all time was walking home from school and turning on the TV just in time to see Bill Mazeroski's home run defeat the Yankees in the 7th game of the 1960 World Series. It was the ultimate walkoff, ending the game and the series. Even as a seven-year old, I hated the Yankees.

I remember that game. Yes World Series used to be in the afternoon. Those were the good old days. 

13 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I like baseball again since the Stros won the game last night. 

13 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't need afternoon, but is 6PM too much to ask, most people are home from work by then.

I don't totally understand why baseball won't play the World Series on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I assume that it has to do with not wanting to compete with the NFL and college football, but there's still Sunday Night Football and a lot of the premiere college matchups are in prime time as well, so what's the difference?

6 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't need afternoon, but is 6PM too much to ask, most people are home from work by then.

I'd like to see them start like a normal game time, 7PM. This gives everyone enough time to settle in, get dinner or go out and meet some folks at a place to watch the games.

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

I don't totally understand why baseball won't play the World Series on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I assume that it has to do with not wanting to compete with the NFL and college football, but there's still Sunday Night Football and a lot of the premiere college matchups are in prime time as well, so what's the difference?

I don't fully buy it, but I get why they won't play on Sunday afternoon. I don't get the avoidance of Saturday afternoon games.

I would jigger the schedule so that the World Series starts on Saturday., and play the Saturday game or games in the afternoon (maybe 1:00 or 1:30 in the time zone where it's being played) and one of the weekday games in the other city in the afternoon (maybe 3:00 Eastern time). Of course, rain could screw up the Saturday games, I would play at least one weekday game in the afternoon in that city, too. 

If I were an owner or player, I hope that I could understand that whatever revenues are lost by having afternoon games represent an investment in the future of the game.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't fully buy it, but I get why they won't play on Sunday afternoon. I don't get the avoidance of Saturday afternoon games.

I would jigger the schedule so that the World Series starts on Saturday., and play the Saturday game or games in the afternoon (maybe 1:00 or 1:30 in the time zone where it's being played) and one of the weekday games in the other city in the afternoon (maybe 3:00 Eastern time). Of course, rain could screw up the Saturday games, I would play at least one weekday game in the afternoon in that city, too. 

If I were an owner or player, I hope that I could understand that whatever revenues are lost by having afternoon games represent an investment in the future of the game.

I always liked games in the afternoon. 

Archived