Roch has been told the O's need 4 more starters

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Finisher said:

20 mil per for Cobb or Lynn

14ish per for Vargas or Garcia or Chatwood or Cashner (less for the last two)

6-7 per for Miggy

So about 40 million per to add 3 legit starters WHICH WE NEED TO DO. We're freeing up enough money from departing big contracts to be able to swing this. Move Brach to save a bit. Shouldn't be that difficult although obviously Cobb and Lynn will attract a crowd.

So I assume with this scenario, that extending Manny (or Schoop, for that matter) would not be in the budget?  (Not that Manny is going to sign an extension now anyway) 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's will never invest in a Lynn, Arrieta, Darvish type.

Guessing they go after Cobb and Chacin. At least I hope they do.

Cobb isn't getting $20 million. He made $4.2m in 2017. He'll be 30. He had a poor 2016 coming off an injury/surgery. We've seen a diminished strikeout rate (6.4 SO/9) compared to his typical ~8 SO/9 prior to the injury.

If I'm guessing, I think he gets a contract similar to Ubaldo did w/ the O's....maybe a bit more. Maybe $13-$15m per season.

I'd like the O's to get Cobb and Chacin. They're both turning 30. They both should get reasonable contracts. 

From there you could make a case for them to sign Tillman to a minor league contract and Doug Fister as a #5. 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

There is a decent chance that Tillman will be back with the O's next season.

That's fine, but it can't be on a major league contract or if it is, very low guaranteed money.  If he's as bad as he was this year you have to be able to cut ties quickly.  He's someone to be in competition for a fifth starter spot next year, nothing more IMO. 

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

That's fine, but it can't be on a major league contract or if it is, very low guaranteed money.  If he's as bad as he was this year you have to be able to cut ties quickly.  He's someone to be in competition for a fifth starter spot next year, nothing more IMO. 

I agree.  A low guaranteed, incentive based contract. 

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The national baseball writers have him going to the Pirates or Tigers. Pirates because Ray Searage is good at fixing pitchers. i am sure they are right.>:(

As Buck says, I am sure that whoever gets Chris will have a pitching coach that looks good .

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

The national baseball writers have him going to the Pirates or Tigers. Pirates because Ray Searage is good at fixing pitchers. i am sure they are right.>:(

While the Pirates make some sense  because  of Searage and their ST is in Bradenton I think he stays with the O's.  Its were he wants to be.  They will work something out.

The Tiger make no sense to me.  They are on a downward spiral.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While the Pirates make some sense  because  of Searage and their ST is in Bradenton I think he stays with the O's.  Its were he wants to be.  They will work something out.

It's a job. 

Tigers just might need someone to eat innings next year.

10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The O's will never invest in a Lynn, Arrieta, Darvish type.

Guessing they go after Cobb and Chacin. At least I hope they do.

Cobb isn't getting $20 million. He made $4.2m in 2017. He'll be 30. He had a poor 2016 coming off an injury/surgery. We've seen a diminished strikeout rate (6.4 SO/9) compared to his typical ~8 SO/9 prior to the injury.

If I'm guessing, I think he gets a contract similar to Ubaldo did w/ the O's....maybe a bit more. Maybe $13-$15m per season.

I'd like the O's to get Cobb and Chacin. They're both turning 30. They both should get reasonable contracts. 

From there you could make a case for them to sign Tillman to a minor league contract and Doug Fister as a #5. 

No Tillman. Please no.

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I hope not. I couldn't care less Baltimore is where he wants to be. The O's need to improve their pitching. Chris isn't one to help do that anymore. If they did bring him back and he stinks it up like he did this past season then the O's are stuck again.  So good luck with another team.  

39 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope not. I couldn't care less Baltimore is where he wants to be. The O's need to improve their pitching. Chris isn't one to help do that anymore. If they did bring him back and he stinks it up like he did this past season then the O's are stuck again.  So good luck with another team.  

If he signs an incentive based contract with a low base salary and he stinks the O's are not stuck. They can DFA him.   Its up to Dan sign  enough starting pitching depth to be able to replace him if neessary.

Tillman said all season that his problems were mechanics.   It has been said that he had to lower his arm slot because of the injury.  The lower arm slot made his pitches flatten out.  His job  this off season is to strengthen the shoulder so he can get back to his former arm slot.    If he can pitch over the top again he can regain his effectiveness.  

The training facility is right there in Sarasota were he lives.  The strength and conditioning coaches are there.  Chris is a worker.   I think there is a good chance he can come back from this injury.  He is only 29 year old.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

The national writers are just guessing; they know absolutely nothing.    I'd say if you were to pick a favorite among the 30 teams to get Tillman, the Orioles would be at least twice as likely as any other specific team, due to the familiarity factor.     But at the same time, the odds that Tillman goes to one of the other 29 teams rather than the Orioles are probably 80% or higher.

Archived