Should the Orioles bring back Miguel Gonzalez?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wei-Yen Chen and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad contract.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wei-Yen Chen and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad contract.

I would trade the Davis for Chen straight up?

4 minutes ago, theobird said:

I would trade the Davis for Chen straight up?

The Davis? I hope he’s not representative of all Davises everywhere. “The Davis spoke at the UN today on hunger in third world countries.”

He certainly isn’t going to speak on hitting.

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The Davis? I hope he’s not representative of all Davises everywhere. “The Davis spoke at the UN today on hunger in third world countries.”

He certainly isn’t going to speak on hitting.

Lol. Ok I meant to say trade them Davis for Chen. But I got a good laugh out of your reply. I would love to trade Davis and that horrendous contract for a pitcher with a bad contract. Chen would work for me

37 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He’d laugh about acquiring a replacement level player with 5/115 left on his contract?  Jeter has an odd sense of humor. 

Chen has had elbow problems for the last two years.  He missed most of this past season with elbow problems.  Reports are the he is serious considering Tommy John surgery this off season.  If he does that he  is done for the 2018 season which will be his 32/33 age season (Birthday in July).  Many pitchers that come back from TJ surgery don't do as well the first year back in 2019 which for be his 33/34 season.    He has a guaranteed contract for 2020  which is be his 34/35 season.  And if he pitches 180 innings in 2020, is not on the DL to end the season and comes to ST in 2021 in good health his option vests for 2021 when his be 35/36

So Chen is owed between 3/52m and 4/68m depending on whether his option vests.

So Jeter would get a healthy Davis for 5 years at be 63m or 47m additional.   I think he would take that deal considering that Chen went 5-5 with a 4.96 ERA in his first year with the Marlins.   The Miami writers call Chen's contract a nightmare. 

Everything's relative.   Nobody pitches 180 innings unless they are pitching respectably well.   So, worst case is $52 mm for three years of an unproductive pitcher.    If the option vests, that means things have gone right for Chen.   

Davis, meanwhile, is going to cost $115 mm (that assumes the O's would remain on the hook for the 2016-17 deferred compensation regardless of whether he's traded).   In a scenario where he has five years similar to 2017, that's about twice as bad a disaster as Chen.   Even if he's halfway between 2016 and 2017 for the next five years (say 1.5 WAR/yr), that'd be about as bad as eating the Chen deal.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Everything's relative.   Nobody pitches 180 innings unless they are pitching respectably well.   So, worst case is $52 mm for three years of an unproductive pitcher.    If the option vests, that means things have gone right for Chen.   

Davis, meanwhile, is going to cost $115 mm (that assumes the O's would remain on the hook for the 2016-17 deferred compensation regardless of whether he's traded).   In a scenario where he has five years similar to 2017, that's about twice as bad a disaster as Chen.   Even if he's halfway between 2016 and 2017 for the next five years (say 1.5 WAR/yr), that'd be about as bad as eating the Chen deal.

Chen will be paid 22m in 2020.  If he can pitch, I would think the Marlins would let him.

The thing about Davis is you bet against him hitting 40 homers and driving in 100 RBI at your own risk.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Chen will be paid 22m in 2020.  If he can pitch, I would think the Marlins would let him.

The thing about Davis is you bet against him hitting 50 homer and driving in 100 RBI at your own risk.

I'm not following your point about Chen.    Throwing 180 innings isn't easy.   Only 35 pitchers in MLB did it this year.   Of those, 27 had an ERA better than league average, and only one had an ERA over 5.00.    So my point is, if the option vests it probably means Chen is pitching well, and if he's pitching well, you're glad to have one more year at $16 mm.

As to Davis, I'd definitely bet against him hitting 50 homers or knocking in 100 runs again.    When we signed him, the best chance for him to do that was in the first couple years of his deal.    Of course I'm praying that he turns things around, but I don't expect him to be that good ever again.   The odds of more years like 2017 are much higher.   

Archived