Could The Orioles Sign RHP R.A. Dickey?

PressBoxOnline

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not romanticizing anything.

You can't take a bad core and add older second tier free agents and expect it to turn into anything.

That is what the O's did for a decade.

I'd rather lose 100 than putter around with 90 loss teams that won't go anywhere.

I agree with both of you. It's real hard to win 50 games and keep a fan base. And older FAs don't do it either. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Took the Astros dead last for seven seasons. 

Not true.  It’s not helpful to exaggerate.

2010 - 76 wins, 4th in NL Crntral

2011 - 56 wins, last in NL Central

2012 - 55 wins, last in NL Central

2013 - 51 wins, last in AL West

2014 - 70 wins, 4th in AL West

2015 - 86 wins, 2nd in NL West

2016 - 84 wins, 3rd in NL West

2017 - 101 wins, 1st in NL West

So, a couple of points.   First, the Astros were only last in their division three years in a row, not 7. Second, the first time it happened (2011), it was not the result of a deliberate tanking strategy.   That was the old Ownership/GM regime , and they simply mismanaged their organization     It was really only in 2013-14 that they deliberately sucked, and in part that’s because they were going to suck anyway.

Didn't we just have this thread?

If the Os are set on making one last big push in 2018, then Dickey makes a lot of sense. 

First of all, he was worth every penny of his one year/eight million last season. He threw over 190 innings, and had about the same WAR and ERA as Dylan Bundy. He would have been huge for the Os given our needs.

Secondly, he's a free agent starter, who's had plenty of recent success in the AL East, who would only require a one year deal.  So if we are going to rebuild after this year, we won't have given up any prospects or constrained ourselves with an overpaid Lance Lynn for four years.

I'm not suggesting that Dickey is going to win another Cy Young award, but he's an above average pitcher who suits our timeline. It's really not that crazy.

19 hours ago, PressBoxOnline said:

Even at 42, R.A. Dickey was an innings-eater in 2017, something the Orioles desperately need. 

More from Rich Dubroff: https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/10/25/could-the-orioles-sign-rhp-ra-dickey

Really dumpster diving for stories are we? Since it's been widely reported that he's probably retiring, which wasn't mentioned once in your article. Be better. 

Archived