Dave Cameron’s five free agents to avoid

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes he did.   In fact, he was no. 1 on the list, and that was at a projected contract of 5/$100 mm.  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2016-free-agent-landmines/

On the other hand, the year before  that, he had Nelson Cruz on the list.   

Yeah, I think Dave estimated 5/130 mm for Davis, but Gallardo was on their also. You have to give this guy some credit, he has hit quite often. Please send this to DD!

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Yeah, I think Dave estimated 5/130 mm for Davis, but Gallardo was on their also. You have to give this guy some credit, he has hit quite often. Please send this to DD!

On the other hand, they had Gallardo pegged at 4/$56 mm.   So at least the O’s avoided that.   I don’t know if Gallardo would have made that list for the contract the O’s gave him.    Fowler also was on the list, and had a career year.

Just now, Frobby said:

On the other hand, they had Gallardo pegged at 4/$56 mm.   So at least the O’s avoided that.   I don’t know if Gallardo would have made that list for the contract the O’s gave him.    Fowler also was on the list, and had a career year.

Good points all the way around, Frobby. I can only hope DD has the best offseason of his career!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

They didn't know he would fail the physical.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it hadn't been for the Orioles he might not have signed until the draft.

Also worth mentioning that the O’s didn’t offer 4/$56 even before the physical.  I believe it was 3/$35 mm with a team option.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On the other hand, here is Cameron’s list of FA bargains.   Among pitchers, he likes Tommy Hunter (no. 3) and Doug Fister (no. 5).    Otherwise he likes Carlos Santana (no. 1), Lorenzo Cain (no. 2) and Jarrod Dyson (no. 5).   https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2018-free-agent-bargains/

As soon as I saw the title, I figured Lance Lynn would be on the list. He was the first one I thought of.

I'm in on Fister. I will let this fella preach the gospel: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/doug-fister-is-all-the-way-back-from-the-brink/

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On the other hand, here is Cameron’s list of FA bargains.   Among pitchers, he likes Tommy Hunter (no. 3) and Doug Fister (no. 5).    Otherwise he likes Carlos Santana (no. 1), Lorenzo Cain (no. 2) and Jarrod Dyson (no. 5).   https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2018-free-agent-bargains/

Cain is going to do what Cain has been doing. And do it consistently for at least three years, I predict. He's as sure bet as any of the FAs. It's just a matter of whether and what a team wants to pay and how many years they would be willing to commit. I actually was thinking a few months ago about the Orioles signing Cain would be a smart approach. But I talked myself out of that a while ago.

9 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Cain is going to do what Cain has been doing. And do it consistently for at least three years, I predict. He's as sure bet as any of the FAs. It's just a matter of whether and what a team wants to pay and how many years they would be willing to commit. I actually was thinking a few months ago about the Orioles signing Cain would be a smart approach. But I talked myself out of that a while ago.

I think bringing Hunter back is a good idea, and I love the idea of moving Jones to RF and having a straight platoon of Dyson and Hays in CF. Our OF defense would then be legit because Dyson is off the charts in CF and I think Jones would be exceptional in RF also. 

Archived