Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I actually really like this move. Cortes is the kind of player that you can find in a Rule-5 draft: an undervalued skill set. He's a soft tossing lefty. He doesn't have the velocity that will impress scouts and, as a result, people will always be skeptical of his success. That success may not translate to the Majors, but I think it's worth a shot to throw him into the No.5 starter mix and see if he can Jamie Moyer his way through lineups.

Or maybe he could work with Scott McGregor and be even better!

Roch posted this tidbit:

Seeking a left-hander for their staff, the Orioles chose 23-year-old Nestor Cortes from the Yankees organization. He’s 25-14 with a 2.08 ERA in 84 minor league games, including 40 starts, with 344 strikeouts in 324 1/3 innings. He pitched at three levels this summer, including Triple-A, and went 7-4 with a 2.06 ERA in 30 games (13 starts).

Executive vice president Dan Duquette said Cortes will compete for a spot in the rotation.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  Self congratulatory back pat.    I predicted who the O's would protect (Harvey, Wynns, Hess) and also predicted we would lose no one in the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft.    Thank you.    Wildcard, where are you?

Does Cortes make the SR as the 5th starter?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Depends on who the Orioles acquire.   If the 5th spot is open, he'll compete with the usual suspects and Castro.   He has a fallback as being a long man in the pen.  I think there's a good chance he sticks but probably as a long man.

On the surface, his metrics are very appealing. Are the Yankees really that deep, that they couldnt keep him?

47 minutes ago, murph said:

#4 on Philly's list. 

#1 and #2 had already been taken. 

I listed Cortes as a target for the O’s, he’s definitely an option as a starter.

He has really poor stuff, like you know how Alex Wells gets knocked for his stuff, Wells has better stuff than Cortes.

Cortes manipulates the speeds of all his pitches. Changes his windup, pace to the plate, and arm slot from pitch to pitch.  He does the Cueto thing where sometimes he just pauses mid delivery, sometimes he steps towards first base and throws sidearm across his body. He’s extremely unorthodox and despite the mechanical craziness, he still shows near plus command.

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

#1 and #2 has already been taken. 

I listed Cortes as a target for the O’s, he’s definitely an option as a starter.

He has really poor stuff, like you know how Alex Wells gets knocked for his stuff, Wells has better stuff than Cortes.

Cortes manipulates the speeds of all his pitches. Changes his windup, pace to the plate, and arm slot from pitch to pitch.  He does the Cueto thing where sometimes he just pauses mid delivery, sometimes he steps towards first base and throws sidearm across his body. He’s extremely unorthodox and despite the mechanical craziness, he still shows near plus command.

Poor Stuff?

Granted, his fastball is just 88-92, but from I was reading on the internet, he has at least 3 pitches that he can throw for strikes, who has very good control of his ball and is a pitcher that understands how to pitch.

Sounds a bit like a left handed Mussina.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Other than the deception, how does he differ from, say, TJ MacFarland?

34 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yea I saw they were gone early, made me wish we got one of those two even more!   That delivery should be entertaining to watch at the very least.  I like Cortes already!

Archived