Fanfest

Going Underground

Just now, oldfan said:

It's about this team getting better and having a future.

I don't disagree with trading Manny...I wanted them to trade him last offseason.  

Just saying....you make that trade, there wouldn't be much of a future in the AL East facing a lineup with Judge (25), Sanchez (24), Stanton (27), Machado (25), Schoop (25)........and others.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CP0861 said:

I don't disagree with trading Manny...I wanted them to trade him last offseason.  

Just saying....you make that trade, there wouldn't be much of a future in the AL East facing a lineup with Judge (25), Sanchez (24), Stanton (27), Machado (25), Schoop (25)........and others.

The reality for this franchise is that their ceiling most years is going to be the Wild Card. They just aren't organized, rich or intelligent enough to put together a contending team on more than a 1 or 2 year basis.

So when they make decisions like not trading Manny, they're doing so with the Wild Card in mind. "Hey, if we can get IN, anything can happen!!!" It's a real shame, but it's reality.

Unfortunately, they have to be two steps ahead of everyone else and they just don't have the desire/capacity to think that way. It is a different way to thinking to trade a guy like Machado with 2 years left on his rookie deal coming off a "playoff season." But that's reality. They could have NAMED THEIR PRICE at that point. There would have been no talk of negotiating windows or any of that happy horse leavings... teams would have lined up and the Orioles would have come away with a haul that teed them up for another run (or at least given them a real opportunity to do so.) Instead, no trade of arbitration Britton or Manny in the face of the Red Sox and Yankees improving, a last place finish and here we are, wondering who the hell our starting pitching is going to be while really not even having a snowball's chance in hell at the division. Anyone feel confident about the Wild Card?

Me neither.

I wasn't even planning to go and I'm pissed off.  I can't imagine being a parent and having to tell my child that they're no longer going to be able to meet what is likely their favorite player.  Contract BS or whatever it is, those two should be ashamed if there's not some legitimate reason to not be there.  Just embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Got to max out on these guys now, FO has no plan.

This leaves a lot to the imagination to fill in the blanks. 

For or those that say they're human and have lives...I have no sympathy for millionaire entertainers who want any extra day on the yacht. They make millions because people like us pay to see them. 

If this was coordinated in any way by the players because they're upset with the team then I think they should be fined. That's child's play and unprofessional and hurts the organization unnecessarily. I really doubt that's the reason but as with most mysteries, worst case scenarios occupy the forefront of the mind. 

Hopefully this is a sign that Manny is traded. Schoop I'd like to keep around and it's hard to believe Schoop would have something serious come up at the same time Manny is traded but it's possible. Maybe he heard there's a trade and he can't stop crying about losing his best friend. I have no idea.

i hope there are some answers so we don't have to talk in circles speculating.

35 minutes ago, RyanW said:

I wasn't even planning to go and I'm pissed off.  I can't imagine being a parent and having to tell my child that they're no longer going to be able to meet what is likely their favorite player.  Contract BS or whatever it is, those two should be ashamed if there's not some legitimate reason to not be there.  Just embarrassing.

Please remember: don't be mad at the player, be mad at the Orioles.

Why?

1. We don't know what the player's life is like or the actual reason for not attending these things. Maybe it's a very uncomfortable experience for them. Maybe they're dealing with something. Maybe they have visa issues. We don't know!

2. If the Orioles want their players to be at these events, the best way to do that is to prove to your players the organization is stable, treats its players fairly, has a plan focused on winning, communicates well, and operates in a way that is professional. The Orioles do almost none of these things at present moment.

3. Fans are not owed things from players. Fans should not expect anything other than that this player will play baseball for the team he's signed to. It's great when they do these extra things for fans. When they don't, though, we shouldn't hold it against them, we should just understand that they're people. They're not heroes. They're not role models. They're just people.

I understand why people get upset, but to be angry at the player is childish and entitled. Enjoy the game. Teach your kids about the game. Teach your kids that these aren't super heroes, they're people just like them. Do not rely on Fanfest as the main way you engage with the game or your own fandom.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Please remember: don't be mad at the player, be mad at the Orioles.

Why?

1. We don't know what the player's life is like or the actual reason for not attending these things. Maybe it's a very uncomfortable experience for them. Maybe they're dealing with something. Maybe they have visa issues. We don't know!

2. If the Orioles want their players to be at these events, the best way to do that is to prove to your players the organization is stable, treats its players fairly, has a plan focused on winning, communicates well, and operates in a way that is professional. The Orioles do almost none of these things at present moment.

3. Fans are not owed things from players. Fans should not expect anything other than that this player will play baseball for the team he's signed to. It's great when they do these extra things for fans. When they don't, though, we shouldn't hold it against them, we should just understand that they're people. They're not heroes. They're not role models. They're just people.

I understand why people get upset, but to be angry at the player is childish and entitled. Enjoy the game. Teach your kids about the game. Teach your kids that these aren't super heroes, they're people just like them. Do not rely on Fanfest as the main way you engage with the game or your own fandom.

You do know that when a player signs a multi year or a big deal the team makes him pick a charity and some other events to attend.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

You do know that when a player signs a multi year or a big deal the team makes him pick a charity and some other events to attend.

Sure. Fanfest is not one of those things. And that's another good point: despite some players not attending Fanfest, they are still doing great things for the community. Arguably much, much better things than signing autographs.

Archived