Fanfest

Going Underground

As to Manny, I wonder if it’s possible that the O’s are close to pulling the trigger on a trade and therefore didn’t want to drag him to Fanfest only to trade him in the next week or so.    Of course, they’d never say so.

I’d be really surprised if that’s the reason Schoop has been canceled, however.   

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, theocean said:

Yeah - O's hands are kind of tied. Only thing they could really do is bench them for a game or two - but that seems kind of pointless and hurts the fans more anyway.

Sit them for a week in the middle of spring training and don't explain why.

Or make them go to road games in spring training.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or what?

Seriously if they called up this morning and say they were not going to be there what real recourse do the O's have?  Bring it up with the Union?  Publicly refuse them permission and watch them not show up anyway?

I guess it depends on what it states in their contract.  There could be monetary penalties

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to Manny, I wonder if it’s possible that the O’s are close to pulling the trigger on a trade and therefore didn’t want to drag him to Fanfest only to trade him in the next week or so.    Of course, they’d never say so.

I’d be really surprised if that’s the reason Schoop has been canceled, however.   

Cards could have said we need Schoop too if you want Flaherty & Reyes +

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Its one day that they know about weeks in advance.

It isn't a lot to ask for these guys to clear one day off of their offseason schedule.

At the very least pull out before the announcement saying that you will be there.

I think Manny was probably not planning on going after all that has transpired this offseason. He probably should have bailed much earlier.

Schoop, who knows. It's not really for us to speculate, but I know that if my job wanted me to do something optional but were also dragging their feet figuring out my salary, I wouldn't want to do that optional thing. Perhaps that's the case. 

Anyway - I've said my piece plenty in this thread so I'm not going to beat people over the head with it. The situation sucks. Whether or not you blame the organization or the players, the fans lose out either way. Blame is just a way for people to direct anger or disappointment. The way I like to think about things is that poor fan engagement starts at the top and trickles down. Morale is extremely low right now for both players and fans. I think we're seeing the effect of that, potentially (I stress potentially because we just don't know), in a couple of its young players.

4 minutes ago, Birdfan21 said:

Cards could have said we need Schoop too if you want Flaherty & Reyes +

Wishful thinking, though Manny and Schoop for Alex Reyes, Flaherty, Hudson, Gomber, and Wong/Gyorko would be something I would strongly consider.  Cardinals may be inclined to make another splash with the Brewers recent moves.

O's probably aren't creative enough or forward thinking enough to trade both though.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think Manny was probably not planning on going after all that has transpired this offseason. He probably should have bailed much earlier.

Schoop, who knows. It's not really for us to speculate, but I know that if my job wanted me to do something optional but were also dragging their feet figuring out my salary, I wouldn't want to do that optional thing. Perhaps that's the case. 

Anyway - I've said my piece plenty in this thread so I'm not going to beat people over the head with it. The situation sucks. Whether or not you blame the organization or the players, the fans lose out either way. Blame is just a way for people to direct anger or disappointment. The way I like to think about things is that poor fan engagement starts at the top and trickles down. Morale is extremely low right now for both players and fans. I think we're seeing the effect of that, potentially (I stress potentially because we just don't know), in a couple of its young players.

I guess we are just different as people.  If I am under contract I don't consider being unhappy with compensation as justification for blowing off company events.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess we are just different as people.  If I am under contract I don't consider being unhappy with compensation as justification for blowing off company events.

Well, perhaps the same for me. But it depends. How do I feel about the company? If it's the Orioles, right now, I feel very badly about them.

But again, we're speculating on behalf of Schoop. Manny I'm writing off in this scenario, because as far as the Orioles front office is concerned, they've indicated he might as well not be on the team, if you're looking at it from the player's perspective. For an emotional guy, the openness in which they discussed trading  him was a bad decision. 

Schoop we just don't know. All I'm saying is it doesn't HELP that they haven't determined their (arguably, if Manny leaves) best offensive player's salary prior to when they want to trot him out in front of fans. But if he says it's a personal matter (and given the suddenness of backing out, that's absolutely plausible), then we should respect that. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And it’s not “voluntary.”    

The more I think about it, the more I think the O’s are keeping Manny away because he’s about to be traded.   It looks like they can’t acquire pitching any other way, per Roch’s blog entry.      

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And it’s not “voluntary.”    

The more I think about it, the more I think the O’s are keeping Manny away because he’s about to be traded.   It looks like they can’t acquire pitching any other way, per Roch’s blog entry.      

From your lips....

Archived