Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Seeing Boras moan means that people have wisened up to him

I'll wait until the players sign before i make a decision on if they have wised up.  If Martinez and Hosmer still get 7 year deals at 25 per year i think the owners haven't learned.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Did JJ Hardy officially retire?  Surprised he hasn’t gotten an invitation to ST from some team. 

He’s still waiting for the logjam to break.    Ryan Flaherty has to set the market.   

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Did JJ Hardy officially retire?  Surprised he hasn’t gotten an invitation to ST from some team. 

I heard he was serving as a counsellor at the Brewers' Fantasy Camp, I think last week or this week.   Mostly the guys that do that are retired, but I don't think  it's a requirement.   Would a guy hoping to find a job do that, or would the fear of injury while not under a contract preclude that?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I heard he was serving as a counsellor at the Brewers' Fantasy Camp, I think last week or this week.   Mostly the guys that do that are retired, but I don't think  it's a requirement.   Would a guy hoping to find a job do that, or would the fear of injury while not under a contract preclude that?

More:

http://www.12up.com/posts/5957971-jj-hardy-clears-up-retirement-rumors-after-being-spotted-working-at-brewers-fantasy-camp

1/3 of baseball in the tank?  O-fficially, the Orioles say they are playing to win this year, despite what the LA Times says.

Spring training opens in two weeks, and hope and faith is dead all across America.

The Atlanta Braves have yet to sign a major league free agent, and not because they are fully stocked with championship talent. Same for the Baltimore Orioles, Miami Marlins, Pittsburgh Pirates and Tampa Bay Rays. If you're a fan of the Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Philadelphia Phillies, Detroit Tigers or San Diego Padres, good luck.

That's a third of the teams in Major League Baseball that do not appear to be playing to win this year. It did not seem unreasonable to ask Rob Manfred, who succeeded Selig, what problems that might pose for the sport.

"I don't agree with the premise of your question," Manfred said.

League attendance last season declined for the third consecutive season, to its lowest level since 2002 and down 8.6% from the record high in 2007.

A decade ago, teams would sign a veteran stopgap or two and proclaim they would be competitive, if not contending. Now, there is no shame in losing 100 games, in the name of tanking for better draft picks and a bigger signing pool for Latin American teenagers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-baseball-tanking-20180201-story.html

There's some hate for agents and some shade thrown at overpaid free agents in this thread, but I would much rather see the players get a big chunk of the money than the owners keep it. It looks like that's what is going to happen this offseason. The players union was played and now the players are gonna pay. Maybe I should have asked for a beat before I wrote that sentence. But seriously, do you really think owners are going to invest the saved money into their organizations? 

Archived