Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I wonder if the Orioles could sign Moustakas to a cheap two year deal with an option for a third year. Then you could put Beckham in the outfield.

That career 103 wRC+ plays great in the middle of the infield. Not as great anywhere else.

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Can_of_corn said:

BTW if the players actually boycott spring training, or worse yet, strike.  Boy are they going to be on the wrong side of the PR fight.

Even when the players were locked out, like in 1994, they were "on the wrong side of the PR fight." Most fans blame the players in every labor dispute, regardless of the reality of the situation, and side with the owners.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

True, but the ones with jobs, dont see to be overly concerned about those without.

Not so sure this is true.  Many players will be in the last year of their current contract.  They see what is happening this year and know that Kershaw, Machado, and Harper are likely to suck up a lot of the money and attention next year.  The market simply isn't paying 30+ year old players, even good ones, like it used to.  And that's the neighborhood where a lot of future free agents reside.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Not so sure this is true.  Many players will be in the last year of their current contract.  They see what is happening this year and know that Kershaw, Machado, and Harper are likely to suck up a lot of the money and attention next year.  The market simply isn't paying 30+ year old players, even good ones, like it used to.  And that's the neighborhood where a lot of future free agents reside.

if there was going to be a boycott, the murmuring would be much louder than what it is now, and you would see players with contracts coming out in defense of those hanging in FA limbo. Is that happening yet?

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

if there was going to be a boycott, the murmuring would be much louder than what it is now, and you would see players with contracts coming out in defense of those hanging in FA limbo. Is that happening yet?

Not saying there will be a boycott.  I don't think there will.  But, I do think the concern is more widespread than just the players still waiting on deals this year.  All of the players can see what is happening.  The next round of CBA negotiations are going to be very contentious.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Not saying there will be a boycott.  I don't think there will.  But, I do think the concern is more widespread than just the players still waiting on deals this year.  All of the players can see what is happening.  The next round of CBA negotiations are going to be very contentious.

i agree, next round will be contentious, but baseball usually does have the most contentious time coming to an agreement.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Last couple of days: Todd Frazier to the Mets, Seung-hwan Oh to the Rangers. There were also a couple minor league deals. 

Still not much going on.

Frazier for 2 years and $17M was a steal for the Mets.  In normal times he would have signed for 3 years and $33M.

Archived