What is Dan Duquette doing?

oriolediehard

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If this keeps up much longer the players union is going to start complaining about collusion.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

And they may not be wrong.   

Really? It wouldn’t be the market has changed?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Right. Players and agents know that there is a lot of money in baseball, but that should not mean overpaying for talent. 

Not having LA, Boston, or New York bidding has prevented absurd numbers from being thrown around in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m just spitballing.   I’ve seen plenty of plausible explanations of why the market is so slow this year.    But would you be shocked if evidence of collusion emerged?   Nothing shocks me when it comes to greed.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just spitballing.   I’ve seen plenty of plausible explanations of why the market is so slow this year.    But would you be shocked if evidence of collusion emerged?   Nothing shocks me when it comes to greed.   

I agree with your last sentence. I find it hard to believe greed would enter into their decision at this point. With all the information and analysis available when it comes to players nowadays, they (the owners) can make the case for less money and years. And they can support that case extensively.

These owners ain't no dummies when it comes to finances and I think they know this Bull Market we've been riding the last few years is heading towards a Bear.  Its a trickle down effect if that happens.  The effect the stock market has on the owner's personal finances and investments will effect how they manage their team's finances.

I think the fact the the talent pool just isn't worthy of the huge contracts this year. Teams like LA and MY are holding off so they don't go over the luxury tax. Wait until Machado and Harper hit the market and if Kershaw opts out. 

Guys like Cobb, Arietta, Hosmer, Lynn, Darvish etc just aren't those big ticket items that make me want to buy season tickets to see.

I’m as surprised as everyone on this thread that somehow:

1) neglecting the international market,

2) losing draft picks due to bad free agent signings,

3) and trading away competitive balance picks to salary dump relief pitchers we tendered contracts to,

has lead to an unsustainable business model that is dependent on free agent dollars we don’t have. ☺️

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

These owners ain't no dummies when it comes to finances and I think they know this Bull Market we've been riding the last few years is heading towards a Bear.  Its a trickle down effect if that happens.  The effect the stock market has on the owner's personal finances and investments will effect how they manage their team's finances.

Perhaps.

...data provided by Forbes (2013) which indicates that from 2007 to 2008, right in the middle of the recession, total league revenue for the MLB climbed from $5,900,909,733 to $6,021,826,532 (2.04%)...

...attendance levels for American teams, although decreasing slightly at points from 2006 to 2012, remained fairly stable throughout the recession...

https://collected.jcu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://duckduckgo.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1034&context=honorspapers

As to the notion that owners ain't no dummies?  History is a cruel mistress...

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

How much has each team received from the three sales of MLBAM to Disney? 

Owners are rolling in dough and I'm sure they are not putting it all in the stock market.

Doesn't mean they are colluding of course.  Just means that the various restrictions they have put into place to limit spending are working.

Until next offseason.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much has each team received from the three sales of MLBAM to Disney? 

Owners are rolling in dough and I'm sure they are not putting it all in the stock market.

Doesn't mean they are colluding of course.  Just means that the various restrictions they have put into place to limit spending are working.

Until next offseason.

$50 million each. They are all getting state of the art data and video systems. Well, all but one. The Orioles are getting a new IBM Selectric.

Archived