Possible trade with Yankees that doesn’t involved Manny

millertime

10 hours ago, millertime said:

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what to believe and what not to believe about Angelos potentially nixing a trade that would send Manny to New York.  I honestly don’t know what to believe.  My personal opinion is you trade him to whatever team offers the best package for him but I certainly wouldn’t put it past Angelos to step in and nix a trade that would send him to the Bronx.

That being said,the Yankees have someone that I believe they’d at least consider trading if they get an attractive offer (that wouldn’t include Manny).  That player is Clint Frazier.  I know, I know...we need PITCHING.  No arguments from me on that HOWEVER the Yankees OF is LOADED right now so perhaps they’d be willing to trade him.  This is a guy who, not long ago, was being compared to Trout and again, just my personal opinion, had only just begun to tap into his potential.  I have no idea what the Yankees would want in return but shouldn’t we at least inquire???  I pay a TON of attention to prospects and I believe Frazier is the real deal so even though we NEED pitching, what’s the harm in asking what New York would want for him?

So, two things here.  First of all, you touch on something I think we overlook here a pretty fair amount which is this:  A GM should always look for ways to make a team better.  That means if we "like" our guys but someone dangles a piece that is an upgrade we should be open to checking in on that deal.  By the same token, we should listen when someone inquires about any player on our roster.  This is not to say that DD and the Orioles do not do this any more than to say they do....

The second point, is this:  While I like the exercise you propose, and I agree I would not hang up on adding someone like Fraizier, I would only move pitching I controlled for just a little bit of time or someone I thought was at peak value and likely to decline.  I would not move say... Hays.  In reality, you have to know if you are stockpiling talent for a run or for future and for me? 

I'd move pitching to get him (Brach O'Day etc) as I don't see how the needle to competitive is threaded from here but...and there is no way around this, I am not the GM of the Baltimore Orioles. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see them moving Frazier unless it was for a piece that puts them over the top.  They were reluctant to put him in a deal for Cole.   

If Manny is not involved, what else would they want?  

Bundy, Gausman, Schoop?  I think that would be it.

Frazier will likely replace Gardner in 2019.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Yankee bullpen threatens to be historically good.    Anyone who thinks Bleier is the 5th best lefty reliever is kidding themselves.   He had a good ERA in 2017 (1.99).    So did Hart in 2016 (0.49).

weams posted that about Bleier. I obviously was being facetious (or maybe not so obviously).

10 hours ago, millertime said:

Did you miss the part where I said I understand we need pitching?  I even bolded the word “NEEDED”.  My point is a good GM “should” explore any and all trade options if it improves the team.  Would I PREFER they trade for pitching?  Absolutely but would I look into trying to get a highly touted OF prospect if I didn’t have to overpay for him?  Absolutely as well.  My “opinion” (once again I know I have to stress that on this board) is that Frazier is better (or will be better) than any OFer on our roster.  Read up on his scouting report if you have the time.  To suggest however that we shouldn’t look into trading for someone like him simply because we need pitching doesn’t make sense to me.  Hypothetically (and this is VERY hypothetical) if the Astros wanted to trade George Springer to us, should we simply answer the phone and say “Sorry...we’re only interested in trading for a pitcher”?

Of course it's makes sense. if this guy is the next Trout as you seem to think then we will have to give up our best prospects to get him' If we are trading our best then it should be for our biggest need.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Of course it's makes sense. if this guy is the next Trout as you seem to think then we will have to give up our best prospects to get him' If we are trading our best then it should be for our biggest need.

And how has trading our best for our biggest need (pitching) worked out so far?  Once again, just because I believe Frazier is going to be a star in this league, doesn’t mean that you or anyone else (especially the Yankees FO) has to believe that.  I have no idea...I’m not in their heads.  Maybe they have soured on him just a little or maybe they’re more willing to trade him since they are loaded in the OF.  I agree with other posters that Brach alone would never get it done but perhaps a package of Brach and very solid prospect would.

13 minutes ago, millertime said:

And how has trading our best for our biggest need (pitching) worked out so far?  Once again, just because I believe Frazier is going to be a star in this league, doesn’t mean that you or anyone else (especially the Yankees FO) has to believe that.  I have no idea...I’m not in their heads.  Maybe they have soured on him just a little or maybe they’re more willing to trade him since they are loaded in the OF.  I agree with other posters that Brach alone would never get it done but perhaps a package of Brach and very solid prospect would.

And then we could flip him for a pitcher? Something we need?

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

And then we could flip him for a pitcher? Something we need?

Who are we giving up for Frazier? I bet it would include one of Harvey/Gausman. plus at lest one of Mullins/Hays/ Stewart. One step forward two steps back IMO.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Who are we giving up for Frazier? I bet it would include one of Harvey/Gausman. plus at lest one of Mullins/Hays/ Stewart. One step forward two steps back IMO.

Nobody. It would make no sense. I wasn't suggesting we should do it, just reinforcing your argument that we shouldn't.

28 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

My point is why not, at the very least, try and get a feel for what it would take?  If it’s too much then we don’t do it.  If it’s reasonable then it should be considered.  Personally I’d trade Harvey and Mullins or Stewart for him.  Harvey has already proven to be injury prone and there’s zero guarantee he lives up to his potential.  One more time...I’m not saying you have to agree with my opinion...that’s why it’s called my opinion.

11 minutes ago, millertime said:

My point is why not, at the very least, try and get a feel for what it would take?  If it’s too much then we don’t do it.  If it’s reasonable then it should be considered.  Personally I’d trade Harvey and Mullins or Stewart for him.  Harvey has already proven to be injury prone and there’s zero guarantee he lives up to his potential.  One more time...I’m not saying you have to agree with my opinion...that’s why it’s called my opinion.

If he is as good as you think it will take at least two plus. If he isn't as good, then it's not worth it. It's a lateral move If he is better than Mullins then it will take more than Mullins. I definitely am not trading Harvey . If I were blowing things up and trading Manny/Jones/ODay,/Trumbo, etc. then I would be looking for young pitching and IF, not OF.

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If he is as good as you think it will take at least two plus. If he isn't as good, then it's not worth it. It's a lateral move If he is better than Mullins then it will take more than Mullins. I definitely am not trading Harvey . If I were blowing things up and trading Manny/Jones/ODay,/Trumbo, etc. then I would be looking for young pitching and IF, not OF.

I really wish you would read my posts more carefully.  I said in my earlier post I’m not gullible enough to believe that Frazier will actually be as good as Trout but there have been multiple scouting reports where he has been compared to him.  What I DID say is that I personally believe he will be a star (that doesn’t mean Trout level star) but a star nontheless.  You then stated you believed it would take one of Gausman/Harvey and then 2 out of 3 of Mullins, Hays, Stewart to which I replied that personally, given Harveys injury history and the fact that I simply believe Frazier is far better than Mullins and Stewart that I would trade Harvey, Mullins and Stewart for Frazier in a heartbeat.  Then you come back and say it would take much more.  It’s fine man...I get it loud and clear that you disagree with my opinion (as usual) but that doesn’t mean that my opinion is any more or less valid than yours.

13 hours ago, millertime said:

What I DID say is that I personally believe he will be a star (that doesn’t mean Trout level star) but a star nontheless.  You then stated you believed it would take one of Gausman/Harvey and then 2 out of 3 of Mullins, Hays, Stewart to which I replied that personally, given Harveys injury history and the fact that I simply believe Frazier is far better than Mullins and Stewart that I would trade Harvey, Mullins and Stewart for Frazier in a heartbeat. 

I’m curious why you are so high on Frazier.   He’s been ranked as a top 50 prospect pretty consistently, but usually in the 2nd 25.    To me, that gives him maybe a 30% chance of being a star.    

Honestly, given the Orioles’ needs, I wouldn’t trade Harvey for Frazier even up.    I’d consider Frazier the less risky of the two, but we need pitching and I’d say Harvey has more upside than Frazier (along with more risk).    

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m curious why you are so high on Frazier.   He’s been ranked as a top 50 prospect pretty consistently, but usually in the 2nd 25.    To me, that gives him maybe a 30% chance of being a star.    

Honestly, given the Orioles’ needs, I wouldn’t trade Harvey for Frazier even up.    I’d consider Frazier the less risky of the two, but we need pitching and I’d say Harvey has more upside than Frazier (along with more risk).    

What he said.

Archived