Buck's comment today on Chris Tillman

accinfo

While I was listening to 105.7 Buck was asked about what he thought about Chris Tillman's prospect for making a comeback to previous form this year.  I am paraphrasing but he said something like I don't want to say too much because I don't want anyone else to sign him.  I came away thinking it is more than likely Tillman will be back with the Orioles this year.  That doesn't bother me because since Buck has seen him pitch at this past mini-camp I trust he came away with some kind of positive feeling from his progress.  Chris was a pretty good pitcher for a long time who I was clamoring to be extended a couple of years ago.  He was really bad last year and the Orioles need more help but it appears he likes it here and I don't think you have much to lose by bringing him back.  I also got a feeling from listening to Buck that Austin Wynn's has a pretty decent shot at being the backup cather at least in the beginning of the season to get Chance Sisco more minor league defensive experience.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, accinfo said:

While I was listening to 105.7 Buck was asked about what he thought about Chris Tillman's prospect for making a comeback to previous form this year.  I am paraphrasing but he said something like I don't want to say too much because I don't want anyone else to sign him.  I came away thinking it is more than likely Tillman will be back with the Orioles this year.  That doesn't bother me because since Buck has seen him pitch at this past mini-camp I trust he came away with some kind of positive feeling from his progress.  Chris was a pretty good pitcher for a long time who I was clamoring to be extended a couple of years ago.  He was really bad last year and the Orioles need more help but it appears he likes it here and I don't think you have much to lose by bringing him back.  I also got a feeling from listening to Buck that Austin Wynn's has a pretty decent shot at being the backup cather at least in the beginning of the season to get Chance Sisko more minor league defensive experience.  

Tillman back and Sisco starts in Norfolk. Great.....

7 hours ago, accinfo said:

While I was listening to 105.7 Buck was asked about what he thought about Chris Tillman's prospect for making a comeback to previous form this year.  I am paraphrasing but he said something like I don't want to say too much because I don't want anyone else to sign him.  I came away thinking it is more than likely Tillman will be back with the Orioles this year.  That doesn't bother me because since Buck has seen him pitch at this past mini-camp I trust he came away with some kind of positive feeling from his progress.  Chris was a pretty good pitcher for a long time who I was clamoring to be extended a couple of years ago.  He was really bad last year and the Orioles need more help but it appears he likes it here and I don't think you have much to lose by bringing him back.  I also got a feeling from listening to Buck that Austin Wynn's has a pretty decent shot at being the backup cather at least in the beginning of the season to get Chance Sisco more minor league defensive experience.  

Fine then

If the Orioles want him back, why don't they freaking sign him already!

18 hours ago, accinfo said:

I don't think Buck saw Tillman throw at the minicamp.   Buck said he talked to Tillman.

I heard the interview with Buck on 105.7 and I agree Buck seem comfortable with Wynns as a backup if Sisco is not ready defensively.

11 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Fine then

If the Orioles want him back, why don't they freaking sign him already!

Tillman will agree to a one year contract but there are terms that may be competitive with other teams.  Minor or Major league contract?   How much is the base salary?  What kind of incentives are offered?  Is there an option involved.

The worst thing the O's could do in sign Chris to a base salary that is so high they can't cut him and then have him pitch just as poorly as last year.

I am in favor of signing Chris to the right kind of contract.

Archived