Buck's comment today on Chris Tillman

accinfo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Plenty of possible landing spots for Tillman. The Twins are interested. A team like Oakland or SD would make sense. I could actually see the A' s taking a risk just to trade him at the deadline if he rebounds.

If you are tanking this season can you afford to have your competition sign Tillman?

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could do a lot worse than Chris Tillman.  I chalk up last year to him being injured. I have no inside info, but if the shoulder is better the. He should be at least solid mid rotation arm. 

I love Tillman, but have no confidence at all that he can return to his former form.   I truly hope he does, no matter who he pitches for.   

On 2/3/2018 at 6:01 PM, Can_of_corn said:

If you are tanking this season can you afford to have your competition sign Tillman?

I personally think Tillman will rebound. His stuff was on par with what it's always been. I think his delivery was out of whack because he was still compensating from the injury.

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-case-against-signing-chris-tillman.html

For most of 2016, Tillman was having another Tillman-like season. He was on pace to throw 200 innings again, but in late August, he was placed on the disabled list with bursitis in his right shoulder. Before that injury, he had only been on the disabled list one time -- at the beginning of the 2013 season, with a strained left abdominal. He was activated a week later. When Tillman came back in mid-September in 2016, he was able to make four more regular season starts and the results were normal. Tillman put up a 3.79 ERA (and a FIP under 4). Buck Showalter also selected him to start the O's wild card game against the Blue Jays, and he did well enough (4.1 IP, 2 ER) in a crushing, maddening loss.

Interestingly enough, Tillman also started taking much longer between pitches in 2016. FanGraphs has a stat called Pace, and it simply measures the time (in seconds) between pitches for hitters and batters. On average, 20 seconds is fast, 21.5 seconds is average, and 23.5 seconds is slow. From 2009-2015, Tillman was average to below average in Pace, ranging from 21.5-22.9 seconds. In 2016, he took over 24 seconds between pitches. In 2017, it jumped to nearly 27 seconds.

What does that mean? Maybe nothing. Maybe, for whatever reason, Tillman has just developed into a slow worker. But besides it being frustrating to watch, perhaps it could be argued that he needed more time in between pitches to recover. Could that be tied to a shoulder that possibly isn't 100%? It's a stretch, but it's worth noting.

Archived