Thoughts on Manny @ SS and Beckham @ 3B ??

alaniee

2 hours ago, theocean said:

I don't think it is fair to say in hindsight that the O's deciding to go for it on July 31st when they had their entire team under contract for another year was insane.

Because you think some of those players are worth more now? I assure you they are not. So, while they weren’t completely out of it, they also didn’t have a very good chance.

They also would’ve gotten far more if they had traded Machado, Britton or Brach. Last season.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, theocean said:

What do you want him to say, "We suck. Don't bother coming to the ballpark?"

On July 31, 2017 - the O's were 4.5 games out of the Wild Card. So were the Minnesota Twins, who ended up making the Wild Card Game.

I struggle to understand the limitless pessimism on this board. It's not even based in fact.

You said, "If the O's aren't competing this year," without defining what that would look like. I added context and you threw a hissy fit. Grow up.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Because you think some of those players are worth more now? I assure you they are not. So, while they weren’t completely out of it, they also didn’t have a very good chance.

They also would’ve gotten far more if they had traded Machado, Britton or Brach. Last season.

They may not be worth more now, but in making such a comparison, it's not really correct to look at it as Value(t) vs. Value(t+1).

Rather, the comparison should be: Value(t) vs. Value(t+1) + contribution to club

You can certainly debate whether the contribution to the club had a meaningful chance of helping with postseason success (or whatever measure you wish to use), but to simply say that it's a bad decision not to deal someone just because the player's trade value went down over time (due to approaching FA) misses the mark somewhat IMHO.

3 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

The Yankees might be able to get more for Judge now then they could next off season.....he's coming off a monster year that he may not be able to repeat....should they trade him before his value diminishes? 

Of course not, because A) the Yankees, unlike the Orioles, have a realistic shot at winning this year and B) he is under team control for five more years.  Apples and oranges.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Of course not, because A) the Yankees, unlike the Orioles, have a realistic shot at winning this year and B) he is under team control for five more years.  Apples and oranges.

But they might be missing out on a chance to get a haul. Just think if they packaged him with Didi!

4 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

But they might be missing out on a chance to get a haul. Just think if they packaged him with Didi!

They aren't in need of a haul as much as the Orioles are.  They have good players under team control for several years (Judge, Stanton, Bird, Severino, Torres, Sanchez, Gray, etc.) They are going for it now. Getting a haul for those guys hurts their chances of winning this year, and their chances are realistic.

Archived