Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

58 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Baloney. Every city has some violence. Even small towns can too. If some are too scared to live life and enjoy it then you might as well live in a bubble. Okay I've said my peace now  back to the Orioles.

Baltimore has 21st highest murder rate of any city in the world.   It is a very dangerous city.  I wouldn't bring my 4 year old daughter to a night game.   Not being scared but just common sense.   I go downtown all the time during the day with her to port discovery, aquarium and science center, orioles, zoo but we leave before nightfall.

I traveled to many foreign cities and feel perfectly safe any time of night.   And even most American cities but in Baltimore someone viciously assaults someone for the tenth time and they get a suspended sentence.  Court system is a joke. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I personally don't care if you pick on me. I've seen quite a few families that were told they have lost a loved one to that "remote" possibility.

The news doesn't even begin to show how bad crime in Baltimore is. I've spent many shifts at night in Baltimore. I'm glad you obviously haven't experienced that. 

And I'm talking from interactions from outsiders. They don't want to go to Baltimore city. Baltimore has a bad reputation...and it's warranted.

I don’t spend much time in Baltimore except at games, but I’ve never felt remotely unsafe in the vicinity of the stadium.   That’s what’s relevant here, not the crime that may take place in other areas of the city.  

32 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I personally don't care if you pick on me. I've seen quite a few families that were told they have lost a loved one to that "remote" possibility.

The news doesn't even begin to show how bad crime in Baltimore is. I've spent many shifts at night in Baltimore. I'm glad you obviously haven't experienced that. 

And I'm talking from interactions from outsiders. They don't want to go to Baltimore city. Baltimore has a bad reputation...and it's warranted.

Of course tragedies happen, but I’m just wondering if there is any real correlation in violence against the millions and millions of fans that have attended games over the last number of years? I’m sure there must have been something at some point, but I think I’d qualify that as “remote”, right? The point isn’t how safe Baltimore is in the worst parts, but the areas around the stadium. There are terrible areas everywhere....it shouldn’t mean that folks hide in their homes and avoid a whole city. Lot of life out there.

Also, I don’t mind you throwing a little heat back at me, it’s probably warranted, but don’t presume to know what I have or haven’t experienced. 

11 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

This thread has just about run its course. 

FROM MLB TRADE RUMORS CHAT PAGE >>>>>>                                                                                                                                                                                               Patrick
5:41
Do you see the orioles signing Alex Cobb ?

Jason Martinez
5:43
Sure. Orioles and Brewers have to be the leading candidates. 

11 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Of course tragedies happen, but I’m just wondering if there is any real correlation in violence against the millions and millions of fans that have attended games over the last number of years? I’m sure there must have been something at some point, but I think I’d qualify that as “remote”, right? The point isn’t how safe Baltimore is in the worst parts, but the areas around the stadium. There are terrible areas everywhere....it shouldn’t mean that folks hide in their homes and avoid a whole city. Lot of life out there.

Also, I don’t mind you throwing a little heat back at me, it’s probably warranted, but don’t presume to know what I have or haven’t experienced. 

To minimize the danger in Baltimore is refusing to deal with facts.   Baltimore has a higher murder rate than any city in Honduras. 

While there are areas like Roland Park and Hampden that have little violent crime.   The downtown area if Baltimore has plenty of violence.   Plus there is the nuisance factor.  One time I ate at Peruvian restaurant next to port discovery with my daughter and was repeatedly harassed for money by different people. Who wants to deal with that? 

10 minutes ago, HOF19 said:
FROM MLB TRADE RUMORS CHAT PAGE >>>>>>                                                                                                                                                                                               Patrick
5:41t
Do you see the orioles signing Alex Cobb ?

Jason Martinez
5:43
Sure. Orioles and Brewers have to be the leading candidates. 

Those guys know about as much as we do.   Their rumours are just articles other sites have published.  They don't have any inside information.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t spend much time in Baltimore except at games, but I’ve never felt remotely unsafe in the vicinity of the stadium.   That’s what’s relevant here, not the crime that may take place in other areas of the city.  

Exactly. There are dangerous places in any city. If you avoid them no problem, Inner Harbor is relatively safe. Ask the cops.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

To minimize the danger in Baltimore is refusing to deal with facts.   Baltimore has a higher murder rate than any city in Honduras. 

While there are areas like Roland Park and Hampden that have little violent crime.   The downtown area if Baltimore has plenty of violence.   Plus there is the nuisance factor.  One time I ate at Peruvian restaurant next to port discovery with my daughter and was repeatedly harassed for money by different people. Who wants to deal with that? 

Poor baby, be thankful you don't live in New York.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

To minimize the danger in Baltimore is refusing to deal with facts.  

OK, i was born, bred, and educated in Baltimore before moving to Pasadena.There are areas in Baltimore I wouldn't go 40 years ago, much less today. I tutored kids in the housing projects on Gay street back then and was robbed 2 blocks from UMD medical center in the 70s. Yes the per capita murder rate is insane and resources are scarce. However, Frobby is right.  In the immediate area of OPACY you should be safe attending a game. I take light rail to avoid traffic and parking hassels, not out of fear. As for other cities i have been mugged in Paris, and accosted in Brussels and Copenhagen. I feel safer in Baltimore, and I'm  68. because I know where not to go. End of sermon.

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Those guys know about as much as we do.   Their rumours are just articles other sites have published.  They don't have any inside information.

True, but you have to admit it was a fantastic re-hijacking of the thread!

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

There is danger everywhere...I live in DC and a guy got shot and killed in an alley behind my house, about 15 feet from my bedroom window a few years ago.  A couple friends got held up at gunpoint in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon.  And that's in pretty heavily gentrified Shaw/U Street area.  St. Louis has a higher murder rate than Baltimore and plenty of people still make their games. 

Understanding that Baltimore is a dangerous city, quite simply, it's just remarkably unlikely that you're going to suffer significant bodily harm as a result of a random act of violence if you go to a ballgame even, gasp, at night.  As I stated before, I'm sure there have been incidents, but think of the millions of fans that have gone out to a game over the years and have made it home unscathed.  To each his/her own, obviously, but just get out there and enjoy it; if the worst you experience is some poor fella asking you for money....get past it.

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

The average poster here knows more about the Cobb situation than these MLBTR chat guys. 

Jim Palmer just tweeted about Tillman’s outing yesterday. In the tweet he said Cobb is asking for 4/68. 

Archived