Wynns sent to Norfolk

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But there's more to catching defense then just throwing out runners. I think Sisco has enough bat to make up for his below average defense. Also, Joseph is much better playing 4 time a week then 5 or 6 for longer periods of time. I see a playing time share with Joseph catching four times a week and Sisco three.

Has Susac really showed you anything that leads you to believe he can be a major league catcher?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Has Susac really showed you anything that leads you to believe he can be a major league catcher?

I think he can be a back-up with some pop, but he's going to strike out 30% of the time and play below average defense. 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

You remember Clevenger getting sent back to AAA and he had to work hard on his catching skills, in order to get back to behind the plate for Buck.

How would you describe Wieters' defense in 2016?

Would you say it was excellent, good, average, below average, or bad?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How would you describe Wieters' defense in 2016?

Would you say it was excellent, good, average, below average, or bad?

Not as good as it had been, but clearly, at 1.1 dWAR, not below average either.

At 35% throwing out the base runners, he was above average for that and 7th in the league.

Passed balls was good, he only allowed 1, but his wildpitch counts was higher than normal.

Ranked 5th in MLB for qualified catchers, so how the hell can you call that as anything but good?

28 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think he can be a back-up with some pop, but he's going to strike out 30% of the time and play below average defense. 

Most (not all) backups you see in the Majors are better defensively. I think that's the preference across the league. I know I'd prefer a good defensive, no-hit back up to a solid stick with below average defense. I think the only exception to that would be if the solid stick has upside and can benefit from time in the Majors in a split role. That may be Sisco (I'm not sure whether he'd be better served in Triple-A or the Majors, there are more qualified people getting paid to make that decision).

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not as good as it had been, but clearly, at 1.1 dWAR, not below average either.

At 35% throwing out the base runners, he was above average for that and 7th in the league.

Passed balls was good, he only allowed 1, but his wildpitch counts was higher than normal.

Ranked 5th in MLB for qualified catchers, so how the hell can you call that as anything but good?

Overall decline but mostly his framing had cratered.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes I know, you have been overly critical on his framing.

Regardless, its still only one aspect of the catching gig.

Actually I haven't been.  I've even pointed out how Fast (the first guy to start tracking it) had nice to things to say about him years ago.

That being said he's fallen off a cliff in that regard in recent years.

I think below average is a fair assessment for how he looked behind the plate in 2016 (last year was worse but that's the Nats problem).

I think that Sisco has the second catcher gig wrapped up.  And by season's end, he could be getting more playing time than Joseph (hence second catcher and not backup catcher).

Wynns needs time at AAA and is very likely an AAA+ type player that will get cups of coffee in the bigs but never earn a full-time spot as a backup.  Susac is still on the spring training roster so that Buck and Dan can continue to evaluate him against a higher level of competition for any future value.

Archived