Chris Davis to leadoff?

gtman55

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well he has been working on his bunting.

Anyone think that Davis would be on the 25 man roster for more than a 1/2 dozen teams in MLB?

He would be on ALL of the 30 teams 25 man rosters.  

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Anyone think that Davis would be on the 25 man roster for more than a 1/2 dozen teams in MLB?

8 minutes ago, accinfo said:

He would be on ALL of the 30 teams 25 man rosters.  

All depends on the cost.  He shouldn't be on any roster for his current contract.  He'd make every team as a $5M 1B/DH platoon guy.

Sheesh, this is an even worse idea than batting Hardy leadoff. A looking K isn't exactly gonna give you much momentum to start the game. I know we don't have a prototypical leadoff hitter right now, but I'd just bat someone like Beckham or Gentry leadoff and be done with it.

The only way this works is if Davis plans on bunting against the shift the entire season until defenses adjust against him. If he can get down 4 out of every 10 bunts he's the next ted Williams lol.

Its right there for him to take, he just has to want it, improve his technique and committ to putting the pressure on the other team to adjust to keep him off base.

I won't hold my breathe though.

After the first inning, batting 1st is just like batting 9th, which is where he should hit. But you can't pay a guy $23mm a year and bat him 9th, so you bat him 1st. This way, following the 8th and 9th hitters he won't kill as many rallies.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Strikeouts don’t matter much at leadoff.    There’s nobody on base to advance.    It’s all a matter of whether he can put up a decent OBP.    If so, it might not look pretty, but he’d be a decent option.   

Besides you want guys on when he is up to prohibit a drastic shift.

10 hours ago, PHRESH said:

Kind of reminds me of when Joe Maddon put Carlos Pena first in the order in TB. 

Except that Pena still had a good OBP. Davis's has been in a several seasons' decline.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Strikeouts don’t matter much at leadoff.    There’s nobody on base to advance.    It’s all a matter of whether he can put up a decent OBP.    If so, it might not look pretty, but he’d be a decent option.   

There is nobody on base in the first inning. There could be in subsequent at bats. Batting leadoff adds extra ABs for Davis to whiff with runners on base.

Maybe they want to get the most out of that contract they signed him to.:ph34r:

Archived