Chris Davis to leadoff?

gtman55

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see this lasting a week. I'm guessing the thought process is......"you're hitting lead off so if you walk, great! If you push a bunt down the third base line....great!" (I saw him try to bunt that way last week, but he didn't get it past the pitcher). Less pressure just trying to get on base than driving in a couple runners. 

3 minutes ago, Fla_O'sfan said:

I don't see this lasting a week. I'm guessing the thought process is......"you're hitting lead off so if you walk, great! If you push a bunt down the third base line....great!" (I saw him try to bunt that way last week, but he didn't get it past the pitcher). Less pressure just trying to get on base than driving in a couple runners. 

Asked if it’s a “today thing” or more, Showalter smiled and replied, “It’s definitely a today thing.”

“We’ll see what tomorrow brings. But I’ve talked to Chris and Scott (Coolbaugh) a little bit. Something that everybody felt like was a good way to start. Chris is a very important part of our club potentially and you hope this kind of helps him. Sometimes, you’ve got to give a new toy, something that signifies a new start.”

From Roch

Here is what I don't understand about batting Davis first. He spent months this winter working with Coolbaugh on being more aggressive early in counts. Then, he gets to spring training and Buck talks to him about batting leadoff because he walks so much.

These two things do not go together.

o

R.J. Anderson wrote this article 2 days ago, just prior to the start of the Orioles' 2018 season.

Chris Davis Batting Leadoff for the Orioles Makes Sense, Even If He Doesn't Fit the Prototype

(By R.J. Anderson)

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chris-davis-batting-leadoff-for-the-orioles-makes-sense-even-if-he-doesnt-fit-the-prototype/

o

Two years ago Buck and Davis used injuries as the excuse, last year it was lack of aggression, looks like early excuse in waiting this year is over aggression.  Davis is quite lucky he doesn't play in a city like NY or Philly where the local sports media would be absolutely crushing him.   Davis should ask Ryan Howard what it's like to get a huge contract then fall of a cliff in a city that expects players to live up to their end of the bargain.

Davis should be batting 7th or 8th against RHP, and BENCHED against LHP.  I swear to God if I see Buck starting Davis over Valencia or Mancini against a lefty I'm going to scream.  Doubly so if he also leads off against a LHP.  Until he proves otherwise, I assume CD is just going to be a low .700s OPS guy who can hit home runs, take occasional walks, and play average defense at 1B.  We're stuck with him, but we should give him as few AB as we realistically can until he demonstrates he can produce at a high level again.  There HAVE to be better options for the top and middle of the order vs RHP.  And there's definitely nine guys way better than CD against lefties on this roster.  

Archived