Is anyone actually going to watch the next two games?

interloper

16 hours ago, interloper said:

My issue with this team the past couple of years is that they can't lose a game like a normal baseball team. There's always these deep team-wide existential crises involved, like the e n t i r e lineup looking like they've never played baseball before, or Gausman's velocity, or the fact that Cashner has never given up 3 homers in a game in his entire career, or the Twins whining about Sisco, orrr

Like just lose a normal, tight game. That's ok. Why are the losses always this ridiculous?

That's exactly it. They have these deep, loooooooong team-wide slumps of 3-4 weeks at a stretch where you know they're going to be completely unwatchable, every game is going to be uncompetitive, and their win percentage during that stretch will be under 20% (usually, under 10%).

And they have at least 2 of those per season, even in a season where we contend for the postseason, like 2016. Most other seasons they have 4 or 5 of them and that basically sums up about 60-75% of the entire season, like last year.

The fact that they're starting out this year in one of these deep funks does not inspire confidence, because the team is as rested and as strong as they're going to be all year. They're only going to get more tired, more demoralized, and more injured from here.

Now, sure, they'll bring in a cast of thousands to relieve the failed starters, and we'll end up at the end of the season with 20 or so starters having started at least a couple games for the team. That's expected in a bad year, and we've never had a successful team with that sort of composition. The Astros were successful with a  "patchwork" rotation last year, but the backup guys they brought in were actually good. Ours won't be. We'll be dumpster diving.

Even if Alex Cobb is as good as he's cracked up to be, that means we have a chance to win 2 out of every 5 days - the Bundy start and the Cobb start. That's a win percentage of 40%, or roughly on par with last year.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, allquixotic said:

That's exactly it. They have these deep, loooooooong team-wide slumps of 3-4 weeks at a stretch where you know they're going to be completely unwatchable, every game is going to be uncompetitive, and their win percentage during that stretch will be under 20% (usually, under 10%).

And they have at least 2 of those per season, even in a season where we contend for the postseason, like 2016. Most other seasons they have 4 or 5 of them and that basically sums up about 60-75% of the entire season, like last year.

Do you have any idea of how over the top ridiculous this post is?

The O’s have “4 or 5” stretches of “3-4 weeks” where their winning percentage is “under 20% (usually, under 10%)?”    Oh really?    Please find them for me.

Just do the math.    Let’s go to the low end of your hyperbole and say it was 4 stretches of 3 weeks winning 20% of their games, with one day off per week.   That would be about 14-58 over 72 games.   Just taking last year, their worst year in the last six, they would have had to go 61-29 the rest of the time to go 75-87.     Needless to say, nothing remotely that extreme ever happened.   

And you think we have “at least two” streaks like that even in the years we contend?    Of course we don’t!     In 2016 we never had a 10-game stretch where we lost 8 times, much less two stretches of “3-4 weeks” winning “under 20% of our games.”

Let’s stay grounded in reality here.

12 hours ago, interloper said:

Not everyone is a fan of watching their team lose. I really couldn't care less about watching the other team be good. I know they're good, I've seen them win the championship. Against us tho? Just going to make me more upset about the things my team lacks. What's so hard to understand about that?

i don't watch games that the Orioles aren't in so this is my only chance to see them. 

I must say, right now it looks like everyone pitcher we face is just much better than our hitters. It's like having the Shorebirds face Kershaw every night. Right now I'm surprised if we get a hit during an inning. 

45 minutes ago, atomic said:

i don't watch games that the Orioles aren't in so this is my only chance to see them. 

Or...you could just start watching games that the Orioles aren't playing and then you have more chances :P

As for me, I'm apparently a glutton for punishment and will watch the Orioles anytime I can regardless of how unlikely they are to win. I'm already counting down the hours until tonight's game when i can see them go down 6-0 again.

17 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t like questioning people’s fandom, but hey if three games is enough to make you not watch, you probably aren’t much of a fan and you probably don’t love the sport of baseball either. I don’t think there is really any other way to put it. 

Well there are certainly other ways to put it, but none as politely and succinctly as you have here.  And certainly none that would be printable here. ;) 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Well there are certainly other ways to put it, but none as politely and succinctly as you have here.  And certainly none that would be printable here. ;) 

If you have something to say to me, go ahead my friend. I have no qualms about my fanhood or how I choose to watch baseball. My OP was me blowing off some steam, which is what message boards are for sometimes. Did you enjoy watching the game last night? I watched it after all, and I did not enjoy it. It was our team made to look foolish against an opponent that far outclassed us in almost every way. 

Again, please tell me how I'm less of a fan than you. Please go ahead. I'd love to hear it, and I'm sure it will make you feel superior.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

If you have something to say to me, go ahead my friend. I have no qualms about my fanhood or how I choose to watch baseball. My OP was me blowing off some steam, which is what message boards are for sometimes. Did you enjoy watching the game last night? I watched it after all, and I did not enjoy it. It was our team made to look foolish against an opponent that far outclassed us in almost every way. 

Again, please tell me how I'm less of a fan than you. Please go ahead. I'd love to hear it, and I'm sure it will make you feel superior.

My post was honestly not specifically directed at you even if Lukes comments were.  I am not questioning your fandom or how you watch games.  But I will say, the idea of a post after three major league games that a team is unwatchable was perfectly responded to by Luke above and I agree with every word.  

Its a message board, no one here is superior to anyone else and most people here don't know a damn thing about who they are responding to nor do they care.  If you took this personally since you created the post, you have my sincere apology.  But in fairness, while you have the right to post so that you can let off steam....well then, by extension, it is fair to respond.

Luke's post is his, and I read it as being kind and a straight forward way of replying.  I'll quote his last line again...I don't know any other way to put it.

As for did I watch?  Yes and no I did not enjoy it very much at all.  But there is another game today and the Orioles have to suit up for that one too.  I'm gonna follow it, on the radio, or computer, or tv.  I may even share your opinion that it is painful to watch.  But I will watch.  I love baseball and I love the Baltimore Orioles.  I don't enjoy it when they suck, but like Charlie Brown kicking the football I believe their time will come.

Lastly, I am not superior to you or anyone else.  I don't think that and nor should you.  But this is your thread and you should be comfortable with opinions that are different than yours.  Isn't that why we are all here?

Cheers my friend!

Thanks, appreciate that, and I know this is a reactionary thread in its essence. So that's on me to reign that in a bit. I do find it tough to watch matchups like this, though, because they just aren't a lot of fun to watch. That's really my only point - I can watch the Orioles lose as long as they're competitive. It's hard when they don't stand much of a chance right out of the gate.

That said, I think they have a better chance tonight. Wright is usually bad, but he can spin one every now and then. And we hit Verlander at times. Here's hoping!

• weams locked this topic

Archived