2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Mike Wright should approach spring training like a man on a mission. He better report to camp in the best shape of his life and his arm better be in superb condition. If not, I won't feel sorry for him if he doesn't make the team. It is time to seize the opportunity Mike.

Pretty sure that every single player in MLB is going to "report to camp in the best shape of his life."
It's amazing to me how the older the players get, the better shape they get into every year.

12 hours ago, interloper said:

I can't find one single thing to like about Mike Wright the pitcher. I just don't get it.

Nor I.  And to add insult to injury, he gets shellacked and then gets indignant with the press, insisting he pitched well.

Riddle me this. Why are we discussing this guy as an O's starter? He's not even a very good AAA pitcher. Then again, if Tyler Wilson wasn't in Korea, he'd be in the conversation too. Yikes.

This is tough to take. Of course, I'm old and remember the great Orioles starting pitching of old. Like in 1971 when our 4 starters combined for 81 wins.

Our pitching really hasn't been the same since Mike Mussina left. 

13 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Riddle me this. Why are we discussing this guy as an O's starter? He's not even a very good AAA pitcher. Then again, if Tyler Wilson wasn't in Korea, he'd be in the conversation too. Yikes.

This is tough to take. Of course, I'm old and remember the great Orioles starting pitching of old. Like in 1971 when our 4 starters combined for 81 wins.

He isn't being discussed as a 1 or 2 starter. Probably not even 3 and may not even be 4.

Yeah, it's tough, but he has shown positive signs before. 

1 hour ago, cimota said:

I see him clearing waivers if he is DFAd so I wouldn't worry about his lack of options. 

If he is penciled in as one of our starters we might as well trade Schoop and Machado now for whatever we can get. 

We should be trading Machado and Schoop regardless of our starting rotation.  This team is run by idiots.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Mike Wright had a FAR SUPERIOR 2017 to Chris Tillman. All three seasons for Wright have been way better than Tillman was last year.

Wright's stats from his first three years look a lot like Tillman's first three years.

Curt Schilling was EXCELLENT in his FIRST year as a starter, 1992. He lead the entire MLB in WHIP at .990! Schilling was 14-11, 2.35 ERA, 150 ERA+, 0.4 HR/9, league-leading .66 H/9 and threw 10 Complete Games with 4 Shutouts in only 26 starts after starting the year in Philadelphia's bullpen. That's tremendously successful.

Schilling had spent his first two MLB seasons in the bullpen -- one very good year in Baltimore and one OK year in Houston. Prior to that he pitched only 8.2 innings and 14.2 innings, respectively. Nobody would count 1 start in one season and four starts in another as a "season as a SP." Tillman can't be mentioned in the same breath as Schilling, if we are honestly evaluating their worth.

Curt was not very good here, he was decent his last year here, he only earned a 1.2 WAR.

But, at age 25, he had finally figured it out, and became a HOF pitcher.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Curt was not very good here, he was decent his last year here, he only earned a 1.2 WAR.

Not yet!   I’d put him in, though.   

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Schilling pitched only one-half of a season for the Orioles.  The 23 year old rookie pitched 46 innings in 1990 to an ERA of 2.34 and an ERA+ of 150! He allowed only a single home run over those 46 IPs. Schilling had a stretch of 14 appearances spanning 18 innings with allowing an earned run. That's excellent, not "decent."

It's misleading to say Schilling "only earned a 1.2 WAR" when we could easily extrapolate a full season WAR of 2.4. At 2.4, Schilling would have been the best reliever on the 2017 Orioles and second-best pitcher behind Bundy at 2.6, only. Additionally, 2.4 WAR would rank 1990 Curt Schilling SIXTH among all MLB relievers in 2017. I think WAR is a crappy way to value relievers as it tends to undervalue them. Consider that 2016 Zach Britton's WAR was 2.5 and was only 2.1 in 2015. I am not comparing 1990 Schilling to 2016 Britton...but WAR does.

Finally, Schilling appeared only as a September call-up for a total of nine appearances and 22 IPs during his first two years in the organization. It's unreliable to use a miniscule number of innings to base a claim Schilling or any other pitcher was "not very good."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 7:07 AM, gtman55 said:

If Tyler Wilson was pitching for another system. Somebody in OH, would be pushing for DD to sign the boy, because we need arms. :):):)

But, at least there i hope, with Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Castro, Cortes, and Mesa, There are lots of younger arms, and reason to have some faith.

Archived