Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good points.  Look at CoC getting creative!

I think this might be the only way the Orioles could get out of it.  That said, they'd still have to eat so much of the contract that it'd still cripple them for years to come.

That is why I think Davis is safe for this year even if it means hiding on the DL.  I could see Davis getting cut before all star break in 2019.  

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Put him 9th where he belongs. Or on the bench. Better still get creative and find a trade partner.

How could you trade THAT contract? Now or in the future.  The would always know how awful he will be. 

12 minutes ago, elgordo said:

The are really only two things to do with CD. Try every thing you can to get his bat going or eat his contract. Benching is no solution. It just wastes a roster spot and doesn't help his bat

I have yet to hear why benching him isn’t a solution. Yes, it takes up a spot on the roster, but he’s not hurting the team in games. 

I’ve suggested sitting down with him to explain how they’d like him to take an assignment to change something, anything that produces results. I think Davis is a good guy and team player, he should understand it’s with the hopes of him figuring something out. 

Failing that, they have no choice but to bench him if he’s not earning a spot and refuses an assignment.

I’m not even saying it’s likely he agrees, but it should be explored.

18 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Refresh me on that one. I recall we did something of that nature years ago, but don't recall the specifics. Maybe someone can elaborate?

Was it something like where The Mets released Bonilla, but agreed to spread the remaining part of his massive contract out over 15 years or so? It’s been a long time, so not sure if that’s 100% accurate. 

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

Was it something like where The Mets released Bonilla, but agreed to spread the remaining part of his massive contract out over 15 years or so? It’s been a long time, so not sure if that’s 100% accurate. 

Here it is.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-bobby-bonilla-retirement-plan-quit-baseball-in-2001-get-paid-until-2035/

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

It's really not that big a deal.   It's just that a lot of his contract was deferred when he signed it.

Might not even have been wise on his part... when you win the lottery you have a choice to take lump sum now or spread it out.   He basically chose the spread it out option.

People talk like hsomehow made some kind of sweetheart deal for himself by getting deferred payments through 2035.   But depending on what he could have gotten in a non-deferred deal, it might not even be the best deal he coudl have had.   Unless he's the type of person who can't save and spends everything he makes, then it will be nice to have significant regular income into his 60s.

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's really not that big a deal. It's just that a lot of his contract was deferred when he signed it.

it might not even have been wise on his part ...... when you win the lottery you have a choice to take lump sum now, or spread it out. He basically chose the spread-it-out option.

People talk like he somehow made some kind of sweetheart deal for himself by getting deferred payments through 2035. But depending on what he could have gotten in a non-deferred deal, it might not even be the best deal he could have had. Unless he's the type of person who can't save and spends everything that he makes, then it will be nice to have significant regular income into his 60's.

o

I agree with all of this.

In fact, it doesn't really matter whether or I not agree with it, what you are saying is stone-cold fact(s.)

I think that it may be better for Bonilla to have done what he did than to have collected one lump sum ........ as you pointed out, he probably would have gotten more value to the dollar had he gotten all of his money in one lump sum. But if Bonilla was thinking strictly in terms of making sure that he owned a nice house with a nice yard with a very reliable automobile (or two) for the rest of his life, then spreading it out like he did may have been the more prudent course of action to have taken.

o

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I have yet to hear why benching him isn’t a solution. Yes, it takes up a spot on the roster, but he’s not hurting the team in games. 

I’ve suggested sitting down with him to explain how they’d like him to take an assignment to change something, anything that produces results. I think Davis is a good guy and team player, he should understand it’s with the hopes of him figuring something out. 

Failing that, they have no choice but to bench him if he’s not earning a spot and refuses an assignment.

I’m not even saying it’s likely he agrees, but it should be explored.

We are better off with an extra RP than him on the bench .Sending him down is fine if he agrees, but that falls under doing  everything you can to get his bat going .Anyway, it's too soon to do anything yet.

2 minutes ago, elgordo said:

We are better off with an extra RP than him on the bench .Sending him down is fine if he agrees, but that falls under doing  everything you can to get his bat going .Anyway, it's too soon to do anything yet.

Except this has been going on for a while.

Archived