Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

11 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I know it sounds crazy but maybe all these (for lack of better words) dumb decisions by Buck are because he knows he's gone and just doesn't care anymore. Just going through the motions. I've always thought he was a bit odd but like I said in a different thread I'm looking forward to someone else managing the O's.

I honestly think that's about as far fetched as anything that's been said here. Buck may have his faults, but not caring enough is not one of them. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Wright had not pitched since March 22nd. He was not stretched out as much as some others. His last game vs Boston he came in relief and did not start. The bullpen is  tough because only two guys have options.They are now saying the bullpen is tired. They have played five games with an off day. Bullpen tiring already is sad. i am not sure you can have two Rule V guys in the bullpen if you really want to contend . Palmer sort of said it after the game .i think when Cobb comes back that one of the Rule V guys will be cut.

Great post, I agree with everything you said here.

Of course the real question should be, why was Wright not stretched out enough to be able to go more than five innings? 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Great post, I agree with everything you said here.

Of course the real question should be, why was Wright not stretched out enough to be able to go more than five innings? 

He got shelled in his last spring outing if I recall.

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Buck went with his hot hand.  Again, I'm not defending his position as I'd have gone with Britton too but I don't think what Buck did was completely indefensible.  As Frobby pointed out, Ubaldo was money down the stretch and he had schooled Toronto.

Now if he was typical Ubaldo with a 6 ERA and Toronto had just lit him up a few weeks prior it would be completely indefensible.

No one had scored since the 5th inning and I remember everyone in both line ups looked like they were swinging wet newspapers.  I remember the simple thought of "dang, still holding on to Britton, are we?" running through my head, but I wasn't in full panic or anything because I was thinking, "Ubalado's been money, but he better be yanked if he puts a runner on."

Then he put runners on. And Buck didn't pull him.  Then I panicked.  Bringing him in wasn't the scariest part for me.  It was leaving him in after he gave up that first base hit.  Then the second base hit! Why not then even?

13 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Buck is what he is. This group, including the manager, has had it. There’s a reason he’s never has been to the WS. 

I'm not sure this is truly fair. But I do think this group--which has been together for a good bit--is done. 

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bleier had pitched two days in a row, so yes, I would say he's unavailable.

When your starter exits early on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, with the first two games being at home, you have to use a lot of bullpen.   Sure you'd like to use only your weakest relievers in those games that are pretty much decided, in case you have a close game.   But you can't... when you have to fill a bunch of bullpen innings for 3 days in a row, you pretty much have to use everybody (plus you don't want your good guys to go that long without use either, you actually want them to get an inning to stay fresh).

He didn't use Cortes Monday because he was going to be the long man if Wright got knocked out early.   He didn't use Araujo Monday becuase it would have been his 3rd straight day.   So those two guys were likely going to pitch tonight unless we managed to get 6+ out of our starters.

This is spot on. But will fall on deaf ears sadly.

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Buck went with his hot hand.  Again, I'm not defending his position as I'd have gone with Britton too but I don't think what Buck did was completely indefensible.  As Frobby pointed out, Ubaldo was money down the stretch and he had schooled Toronto.

Now if he was typical Ubaldo with a 6 ERA and Toronto had just lit him up a few weeks prior it would be completely indefensible.

Who on the team (or in the league) was hotter than Zach Britton? The answer is no one. You do not put Jimenez into this game before using Britton who could have almost certainly given three innings and is THE GUY you go to in that situation. There is absolutely no reason to be playing for the save in that situation. It is indefensible which is cemented by the fact that Buck left him in there after allowing one and then two baserunners. What is he thinking? Encarnacion's home run was completely predictable. How can you leave him in there long enough to give up a three run home run? It's insane and it IS indefensible. We can just disagree, that's fine though. :)

3 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Who on the team (or in the league) was hotter than Zach Britton? The answer is no one. You do not put Jimenez into this game before using Britton who could have almost certainly given three innings and is THE GUY you go to in that situation. There is absolutely no reason to be playing for the save in that situation. It is indefensible which is cemented by the fact that Buck left him in there after allowing one and then two baserunners. What is he thinking? Encarnacion's home run was completely predictable. How can you leave him in there long enough to give up a three run home run? It's insane and it IS indefensible. We can just disagree, that's fine though. :)

I would join Moose, but let me try this another way.  I agree, losing that game in 11 without EVER throwing Zack was a mistake.  We were on the road and no doubt in hind site Buck was hoping to get a lead and use Zack instead of pitching one or two and needing a third possibly to close.  

Personally, I was ready for Zack in the 7th as in a critical game I believed he was the best option.  But most who argue against Buck would have by their own argument pitched Zack in the 9th and then likely the 10th.  So if the O's didn't score...Ubaldo was going to pitch anyway.

In hind site, starting the 11th with Ubaldo is totally defensible.  Not bringing in Zack with one out and runners on first and third....now that's a different story.  But again...almost everyone argues against Ubaldo to start the inning and he had been good in that spot and good against the Blue Jays.  These against the grain moves are frequently the types that people bring up in talking about genius...because thats what they do when it works.

Since 2016, I can recognize those who complain to complain by those who are analyzing the actual move by when the mention using Zack.  By your own argument, Zack should have been in by no later than the 9th.  Therefore the inning in question, since the O's still did not score...is someone else would have pitched the 11th.  Now, sliding the pitchers would have still kept Ubaldo until the 13th and sure, by that time maybe the O's score....But it didn't go that way.  Buck chose to hope Ubaldo would get out of his jam...and keep Zack to close the door with a lead that was never attained.  And every one of us hoped it would be different.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have an open mind about what the O’s should do with the manager situation after 2018.    Buck has done a very good job here IMO, and I’m certainly not going to put any blame on him that the team hasn’t won a World Series in his time here.    But at the same time, there are some decent reasons to consider replacing him:

1.   We are likely to have a new GM, and the GM should have a strong say in who the manager is.    The power dynamic between Dan and Buck is a little warped.

2.   Sometimes, a manager’s message and way of doing things just gets old to the team.     Even Buck has acknowledged this phenomenon (not specifically with regard to the Orioles).    It’s arguable that this time has arrived.

3.   Buck’s loyalty to long-time contributors may be clouding his judgment in certain cases.    We may need a fresh look from someone who has no prior relationship with these players.   

4.   If the team needs to go into rebuilding mode, Buck may not be able to see it and manage accordingly.    

With all that said, be careful what you wish for.    The odds that the next manager will do a better job than Buck aren’t that high.

Just remember Trembley and Perlozzo, Mazzilli and Hargrove, Ray Miller and Phil Regan.  All far worse records than Buck.  Frank Robinson had parts of four years as Oriole manager, and three of them had losing records.  Johnny Oates had a slightly better winning percentage than Buck, but he was gone after three years .  Cal Sr. was 68-101.  Billy Hitchcock and Paul Richards and Jimmy Dykes... worse records than Buck. 

I'm sure someone will bring up Davey.  Davey is/was an excellent manager, but don't even talk about Buck wearing out his welcome at different jobs.  Davey probably got fired from successful teams as often as any manager in history.

Buck should have been fired right after he pitched Ubaldo over Britton in the one game playoff. The team has been terrible since then.  You can't make such absolutely horrible mistake and keep your job.  I said it right at the time.   He also stuck with Jim Johnson that one year when JJ lost it.  And cost us any chance at the playoffs.  

Buck sticks with veterans over young players every time.  Cisco should be the primary catcher.  He is the future.  Alvarez brings nothing to the team.  Hayes should be up here.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Great post, I agree with everything that you said here.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

He got shelled in his last Spring Training outing, if I recall.

o

You are correct.

In fact, he threw 90 pitches in his final Spring Training outing, and was removed from the game with one out in the 5th inning.

o

On 3/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The umpire appeared to be rather stingy with the strike zone in the 2nd inning.

Wright had a quick 1st inning. 

Wright had an awful 2nd inning.

In the 3rd inning, Chance Sisco threw the ball away when he had the Red Sox base-runner picked off of 3rd base, leading to an unearned run.

The 4rd inning was rather uneventful, with the exception of another defensive gaffe by Chance Sisco. With 2 outs and a runner on 1st base, Mookie Betts was caught halfway in between 1st and 2nd base. Instead of running toward Betts and forcing him to make a commitment to one of the 2 bases, Cisco simply threw the ball to 2nd base and allowed Betts to easily scamper safely back to 1st ........  so in 2 consecutive innings, Sisco failed to record the 3rd and final out of the frame when given the opportunity to do so.

The 5th inning was disastrous for the Orioles' defense (and not much better for Wright.) After a lead-off single, Colby Rasmus misplayed a deep fly ball off of the fence. Then after Rasmus finally got to the ball, he relayed it to Schoop, who had the runner out at home plate ........ except that Schoop's throw was about 25 feet off-line, which allowed the run to score and the batter (who had been credited with a long single) to go all the way to 3rd base.

13 OUTS: o 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT )))))) (vs. RED SOX, 3/22) )))))) [Spring Training] 

IP:llll4.33

H:lll 10 ll (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 7 Singlesl

R:lllll 7

ER:ll 6

BB:ll 2)

SO:ll 4

Pitches: l) 90 )(58 )Strikes, )32 )Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 6.63 )l (Spring Training) )  19.00 IP  (14 ER)

2018 WHIP: l) 1.667 )l (Spring Training) )  18.00  IP (30 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .329 )l (Spring Training) )  (25 for 76)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 ll(81 lllStrikes, ll31 l.Balls)

30 l.(15 lllStrikes, l15 lll.Balls)

16 l.(13 lllStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

15 l.(11 lllStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

18 lll(11 ll.Strikes, lll71 ll.Balls) ) *

* )) Wright recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Archived