Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Great post. I also think Buck tends to be too cute in his choices just to prove that he's smarter than the next guy. We really need a rebuild and someone with a different managerial style and temperament. Just my honest opinion.

I wanted a rebuild too but that's not up to Buck. That's Angelos doings. If he wasn't going to allow it then what can Buck do? 

12 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

It looks like Buck is losing it.  Starting with the C.Davis leading off.  The most senseless move in the MLB. He seems like he lost control of the team. The only guy that makes him look good is Dylan Bundy.

This org is so poorly run though if he were to go..it would be Ripken and Anderson and I would take Buck and DD any day over that option. No disrespect to Mr. Ripken.

This CD example is a simple one but sums up our problems perfectly: the GM didn't want to sign CD, he was overruled by the manager who had the owner's ear. That isn't the way a functional, healthy organization is run. Period. You put a GM in charge, you let them fail or succeed on their own footing.

But I am preaching to the choir..most posters here understand that. We should have traded Britton, Manny and maybe even Schoop but I worry what we get at the deadline now (if we continue to underperform..it is still very early and we have played far superior teams).

Just now, eddie83 said:

I thought they went through the motions last September. I don’t see that here. 

Just lack of talent this year. Other than signing Cobb and Cashner, what did we do?  I think the pitching will be ok. It’s the lineup that worries me.  Davis is done. So is Rasmus. Pedro too. 

Mad really needed Hays to have a good ST. 

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Agreed.Was working .Reason O'Day was not in the last two games? 

He must have wanted to stay away from Givens today so he used Castro. Then I guess he didn’t want to use O’Day when we were behind.  

Pinch hitting with Chris Davis?

How could Buck not see the obvious strikeout coming from a mile away?

We aren't good enough to overcome questionable managerial decisions and Buck is making far too many.

Davis in the one hole is INSANE. He should be hitting 9th or on the bench wearing a ski mask all game considering how much money he is stealing from this franchise.

Awful and worrisome to say the least. I could go up there and make contact 1 out of every 10 pitches. Good lord does he stink.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just lack of talent this year. Other than signing Cobb and Cashner, what did we do?  I think the pitching will be ok. It’s the lineup that worries me.  Davis is done. So is Rasmus. Pedro too. 

Mad really needed Hays to have a good ST. 

I think Davis is cooked too. Don't know enough about Rasmus. This team is lacking in talent. But that's on DD. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I thought he lost the team last year mid season.  Then they quit on him last September pretty badly. That with a likely 1-9 start this year, you have to think a change is coming soon.

Different era and different management, but Ripken Sr was fired after a 0-6 start in ‘88. I just don’t see it happening here 30 years later. But I could be wrong. Not sure how much Buck is owed, but they did fire a number of managers leading up to Buck. 

23 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Different era and different management, but Ripken Sr was fired after a 0-6 start in ‘88. I just don’t see it happening here 30 years later. But I could be wrong. Not sure how much Buck is owed, but they did fire a number of managers leading up to Buck. 

Wasn't Ripken SR arrested for drunk driving smashing up cars as he drove.   Blew a .27 if I remember correctly.   That could have weighed on decision. 

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

Wasn't Ripken Sr arrested for drunk driving, smashing up cars as he drove? Blew a .27, if I remember correctly.That could have weighed on decision. 

o

There was no smashing up of cars, just speeding (he was doing 44 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.)

According to the article, the state of Maryland had an unusually high standard for what was considered to be legally drunk at that time, at .13.

The standard in most states is usually .08 or .10 at the most, I believe.

Orioles Manager Charged with Drunk Driving

(By Richard Justice)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1988/02/05/orioles-manager-charged-with-drunk-driving/82f92cad-cd1f-40c2-9ba8-40f8ee4729ba/?utm_term=.3510873f7487

o

Taking the long view...

Buck has managed the team to consistently outperform the projection systems, by a lot, since 2012. Aside from in-game strategy (where no manager is perfect, in the light of our perfect hindsight), he prioritizes positive psychology and relationships with and among players (probably to a fault in the case of his vets with their sacred "track record"--again, as most real-life managers do). The whole body of work is our best since Weaver, except for Davey Johnson. So nitpick all we want, we're lucky to have him.

Archived