Amidst this sea of negativity

Frobby

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, extremes do matter.  But starting 1-4?  You'd prefer not to, but overreaction is more of a concern than anything else right now.  Luckily team management is about five times more patient than the fanbase.

Man, I was not being reactionary..just giving fans a reference point. Depending on your attitude you can take either way, negatively or positively, doomed or hopeful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UpstateNYfan said:

It is only April 4th and no team has even played 10 games, so a rather non-relevant comparison. I was just stating a review of teams with poor starts that made the playoffs. Oakland had won only 8 games by the end of April and ended up with 102 wins. No team has won only 7 games by April's end and made the playoff. Quite a few here have stated how difficult the O's April schedule is, if they continue to play as poorly as they are, in all phases of the game, they will be lucky to win 8-10 games.

Hey no hard feelings, but this is MY POINT EXACTLY.  Hell if they continue to play as they are, in all phases of the game....the bright side will be you and I can chat about this in the dugout, while bating 8th and 9th for the Orioles.  Well, you can probably bat higher....I have always struggled with the slider and I'm 55 so I doubt the layoff has made me better.

Your fretting about the end of the month on the 4th.  The Orioles in April are 0-3.  So if Im too far out front......Im just trying to chase you down. ;) 

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

The problem with losing games you should have won is that you don't build in a cushion for when guys like Dylan Bundy randomly have bad games. 

How do you put yesterday in the “should have won” category?    Because they blew a one-run lead in the 6th inning and eventually lost?    I mean, it’s certainly a game we could have won, but it’s not like we were leading most of that game.    We were behind almost the entire game.

For me, the bigger issue is not to blow out of proportion things that happen early in the season.    It’s not exactly analogous, but it reminds me of that thread someone started when we had a poor start in spring training.   

I’m not worried that this team is going to score 2.4 runs/game.    I’m not worried that Gausman and Cashner are going to pitch terribly on a regular basis.    I’m not worried that our bullpen is going to blow every save opportunity they get.    Do I worry about other things?    Yes.    But it takes time to sort out what’s just a bad few games, and what’s a meaningful trend.     So we need to be patient.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How do you put yesterday in the “should have won” category?    Because they blew a one-run lead in the 6th inning and eventually lost?    I mean, it’s certainly a game we could have won, but it’s not like we were leading most of that game.    We were behind almost the entire game.

For me, the bigger issue is not to blow out of proportion things that happen early in the season.    It’s not exactly analogous, but it reminds me of that thread someone started when we had a poor start in spring training.   

I’m not worried that this team is going to score 2.4 runs/game.    I’m not worried that Gausman and Cashner are going to pitch terribly on a regular basis.    I’m not worried that our bullpen is going to blow every save opportunity they get.    Do I worry about other things?    Yes.    But it takes time to sort out what’s just a bad few games, and what’s a meaningful trend.     So we need to be patient.   

I hear you, I just think any game that Wright pitches well in AND we score 6 runs AND have a lead in the 6th inning, with the supposedly good bullpen we have... gotta win that game. Not saying it was automatic or whatever, just... it sucks to have not won a game containing those parameters.

Also, I think you probably SHOULD worry about Gausman pitching terribly on a regular basis. He did for 50% of the season last year, so there's precedent. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, extremes do matter.  But starting 1-4?  You'd prefer not to, but overreaction is more of a concern than anything else right now.  Luckily team management is about five times more patient than the fanbase.

I'm more concerned with the fact that Orioles feel they are "going for it" with a roster that includes three Rule 5 picks, 4 non-roster players, and two starters who haven't been good at starting major league baseball games since 2016. Then add in a $23 million year player who hasn't been good since he signed that massive boat anchor of a contract (you could argue he was decent in 2016 but not worth the money) leading off, a defensive outfield that is two steps short of having even decent range, and a bullpen that is short on shutdown relievers and you have a team to be concerned about.

Am I worried about starting 1-4? Nope. I'm worried that this roster doesn't even look close to being able to compete for a playoff spot this year. This is the last year of this core group so things most likely aren't getting better next year. This is what i'm worried about.

I know we're only 5 games in and things can and will obviously change. But, seeing us play the Twins and Astros it's pretty clear we're not an upper echelon team. We've over achieved in the past but this team's roster just doesn't seem like it can truly contend. I hope I'm wrong.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm more concerned with the fact that Orioles feel they are "going for it" with a roster that includes three Rule 5 picks, 4 non-roster players, and two starters who haven't been good at starting major league baseball games since 2016. Then add in a $23 million year player who hasn't been good since he signed that massive boat anchor of a contract (you could argue he was decent in 2016 but not worth the money) leading off, a defensive outfield that is two steps short of having even decent range, and a bullpen that is short on shutdown relievers and you have a team to be concerned about.

Am I worried about starting 1-4? Nope. I'm worried that this roster doesn't even look close to being able to compete for a playoff spot this year. This is the last year of this core group so things most likely aren't getting better next year. This is what i'm worried about.

...and some of the fixes are already here: Cobb, Scott, Hays, benching Davis, hopefully Britton helps.  Maybe Harvey at some point, even if just for the pen.

We just have to play the best options, at the best spots.  Really wish they had signed Jay.  That was stupid.  I'll be just fine with Buck moving on.

Case 

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

You can call it negativity, but I feel like it is realism. I'm not surprised at the 1-4 start.

in

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Almost all April baseball is some combination of unwarranted exuberance and/or confirmation bias.

point.

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That's actually what I'm excited about.  I wouldn't mind at all if the Orioles were horrendous this year (yes a fan since 1969 can say that), trade off Manny, Adam, and whoever else), get a great draft pick and then start to build with new players coming up Hays, Mullins, etc. 

Archived