Is it time to bring in a "Davis Whisperer"?

FanSince88

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

Did Buck step in to help sign him? I'm not questioning you, I just am never sure who to BLAME when it comes to this franchise, bc I never know who is doing what...

This is one of those unattributed rumors with no identified source.   I do think that Tony may have heard something to this effect from someone in the organization, however.   I think I remember him saying that, or at least hinting it.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Nope. His bat speed is slow. He is slow to pick up pitches. And, he has a loopy swing.

Does he need glasses? Seriously. I know most MLB hitters are better than 20/20 vision.  It really seems like his vision could be a big part of his lack of pitch recognition and slow bat speed.

11 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Does he need glasses? Seriously. I know most MLB hitters are better than 20/20 vision.  It really seems like his vision could be a big part of his lack of pitch recognition and slow bat speed.

Or, it could be he just sucks at hitting. ;)

11 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

How likely is it that the elaborate physicals they take in spring training don't include a vision test?

5 hours ago, allquixotic said:

This is exactly why I would never be able to be a baseball team owner. I would insist on contracts that allow me to fire the player without owing them for the remaining seasons, or otherwise make the contracts entirely based on player performance.

And in the current regime with the insanely powerful MLBPA I would get exactly zero players.

I hate the MLBPA. Why do millionaires need a union?

Can I react to a reaction? Blid and babypowder's confused face reaction to this made me crack up xD

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How likely is it that the elaborate physicals they take in spring training don't include a vision test?

What sort of standardized vision test is there that reliably measures tracking a thrown baseball from 60 feet away at 90-100 mph?  I don't think that simple visual acuity tells the whole story for a baseball player.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Agree. If you can simplify the mechanics so he can actually get to a ball easier, you can create more confidence. Instead he spent his offseason having Coolbaugh convince him to just be more aggressive. Great.

He needs Mike Epstein.  That’s exactly what he teaches. 

He may have cataracts and need surgery or may just need one procedure. I had one and the improvement to my eye was incredible. Painless fast procedure nobody should ever delay having done. Mine was in  my left eye. Being left handed as well he may need his left eye looked at closely. Some think it might be the left eye because it lets you see your bat as you see your bat start and finish your swing.  It's almost like standing in a left handed batting stance and you close your right eye vs standing the same way and closing your left eye. Which eye is the most important. Both obviously but the more I think bout it the more I think the left eye has to be the strongest for seeing your swing from start to finish.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday afternoon about CD and I said the Orioles need to use the same doctor who examined the Ravens receiver recently and try to find a reason to send him to Florida for extended ST and hire Wade Boggs the former player who hit for high average and I believe was a Tampa batting coach at one time,  Give him $100,000 or $200,000 t try to help him. What else can they do?  Hope he is man enough to admit he has reached the end of his hitting career and retire and save the Orioles a tone of money.  We know that's not happening because of the union. Maybe they can reach a settlement.

Archived