The Orioles Bullpen, 2018

OFFNY

The bullpen has allowed a run in every game this season except for one. Per Tom Davis on the postgame. 

Their overall ERA’s aren’t terrible, but they’ve choked in a ton of big spots. 

I like Arajuo, but how many teams with hopes of winning, have had Rule 5 guys in the spots we’ve had this year?

The bullpen has escaped a lot of heat because the offense, but each one of them (except Bleier) has choked this season already. Can’t blame Buck. He has to pitch Brach, Givens, and O’day with leads. Each one of them has given up critical runs. 

They seem scared this year. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The bullpen has allowed a run in every game this season except for one. Per Tom Davis on the postgame. 

Their overall ERA’s aren’t terrible, but they’ve choked in a ton of big spots. 

I like Arajuo, but how many teams with hopes of winning, have had Rule 5 guys in the spots we’ve had this year?

The bullpen has escaped a lot of heat because the offense, but each one of them (except Bleier) has choked this season already. Can’t blame Buck. He has to pitch Brach, Givens, and O’day with leads. Each one of them has given up critical runs. 

They seem scared this year. 

Hopes of winning?  They can do the math.  Hole is already too deep for a team that was a wc contender at best to climb out of.   

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopes of winning?  They can do the math.  Hole is already too deep for a team that was a wc contender at best to climb out of.   

I’m not saying I expect the Orioles to climb back into the race, but I reject the notion that the hole is too deep to do it.    They are 8 games under .500 after 18 games, and have 144 to play.    Last year, they were 7 games under after 91 games, and managed to claw their way back into the race at 3 games over by game 135.    It only took them 44 games to make up that ground, not 144.    Sure, they fell apart after that, but the point is, it’s definitely not too late.   

The bigger question is, is this team capable of playing well for any sustained stretch?   Honestly, there’s no point in even discussing it until the team plays well for, say, a week.    Right now I just want to stop the bleeding.    Yesterday was a great opportunity to do that, but instead the bleeding got worse.    

• 3 weeks later...

o

(vs. ROYALS, 5/10)

7.67 shutout innings from Miguel Angel Castro, Tanner Alexander Scott, and Mychal Antonio Givens.

117 Pitches )(84 )Strikes, )33 )Balls.)

o

Bleier - 4 years of service remaining after this one

Givens - 3 years

Castro - 4 years

Scott - 6 years

I know we’re losing Britton and Brach, but the bullpen can continue to be a strength for the foreseeable future.   Of course, it’s also possible we trade some of these guys away. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. METS, 6/05)

Thanks, guys.

Sincerely,

Alexander Miller Cobb

o

o

(vs. METS, 6/06)

Thanks, guys.

Sincerely,

Dylan Matthew Bundy

o

• 3 weeks later...

Lost in this nightmare of a season has been how many games the bullpen has choked away. Seriously, every game where we have a lead it seems. 

No excuses. They aren’t overworked. The pressure of this season left a long time ago. Unless the other team is “giving away outs” when they’re ahead, the pen can’t get any. Well not any that matter. 

What worries me is that Castro, Scott, and Givens, have all struggled in “high leverage” situations this year. They are supposed to be the future. 

Was Alan Mills really the right hire?  We pulled a Jim Zorn and hired a bullpen coach before we hired a pitching coach. After the 2014 season, we should have made Dom Chiti the pitching coach and let him bring in who he wanted to be bullpen coach. That’s on Buck. 

• 1 month later...

o

(vs. RANGERS, 8/05)

7.33 innings of 1-Run ball.

12 Strikeouts, 4 Walks.

123 Pitches ) (75 Strikes, )48 )Balls.)

Tanner Alexander Scott

Donnie Scott Hart

Miguel Angel Castro

Paul Raymond Fry

Mychal Antonio Givens

o