Frobby

Doesn't surprise me. I begrudgingly reupped my season tickets. And I don't think I will for 2019.

Ownership gave me zero reason to get excited until the very last minute...and even then it was like, "Uhhh...Cobb and Cashner?"

Winning will fix this...as it did when attendance waned prior to 2012. But if they continue losing? Ooooh boy.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

8,640 tonight Second lowest paid attendance ever 

The Orioles had plenty of games less than 8k at Memorial Stadium.   I remember as a kid and going to a game buying tickets right before the game and getting front row box seats. 

In 1935 the St. Louis Browns drew 80,922 fans for the entire 77-game home season.

In 2008 the Red Sox and Dodgers played a single exhibition game at the LA Coliseum that drew 115,301.

On September 25, 1963 the Orioles played the White Sox at Memorial Stadium and 2,017 paying spectators witnessed the game.  Just six days earlier they played a makeup game at Anaheim on Thursday, September 19th where the paid attendance was 476.

The 1962 Orioles played 12 games with a paid attendance under 5,000.

In 1957 the Orioles played Friday and Saturday games at Washington's Griffith Stadium in late September that drew 1,630 and 1,684.

In '66 they played a game at Fenway that drew 1,955.  On Monday, September 19th, weeks away from a World Championship, they played a home game that drew 2,280.

In '75 they had five home games that attracted less than 5,000 fans.

In September 1955 they played consecutive games in DC that drew 765 and 766.

In 1979, in the midst of a decade of consecutive winning seasons they had Saturday game in April that drew 5,268.

The cold is killing attendance in some places: tThis was Monday,

First pitch temperatures took a toll on MLB attendance tonight (city/temp/attendance):
Cleveland/33°/9,843/
Minneapolis/35°/15,521
Chicago Sox/35°/10,377
Kansas City/42°/12,324
Philadelphia/43°/18,127
Baltimore/44°/7,915 (record low at Oriole Park)
Washington/45°/19,528

The Orioles are averaging 22,089 fans, an 11.8 percent drop from their full-season 2017 attendance. To be fair, Baltimore has yet to host the Yankees, Red Sox or Nationals, three opponents that usually draw bigger crowds to Camden Yards. And to be more fair, a game played on a school night in harsh conditions against a nontraditional rival like the Blue Jays is going to be a tough sell no matter the month.

It’s hardly an apples-to-apples comparison because the season is so young, but attendance also is down in a number of other cold-weather locales: Pittsburgh (31.9 percent), Detroit (25.8 percent), Cleveland (24.4 percent), Kansas City (20.2 percent), Chicago (White Sox, 13.4 percent), Washington (9.7 percent), New York (both the Yankees and Mets are down 5.4 percent), Minnesota (5 percent), St. Louis (4.1 percent) and Boston (2 percent). The Twins, Yankees, Mets, Tigers and Royals all have had games postponed this season already.

Meanwhile, attendance has increased for cold-weather clubs in Philadelphia (35.4 percent), Cincinnati (10.8 percent) and Colorado (3.3 percent). The Reds also have had a game postponed this season.

Another dubious mark was set Monday in South Florida, where the weather cannot be used as an excuse. Only 7,003 people showed up to watch the Miami Marlins lose to the Mets, the lowest paid attendance in Marlins Park’s eight-year history. In six home contests against the Cubs, Red Sox and Mets — three teams that one would think would be good draws — Miami is averaging just 14,443 fans per game, down 29.1 percent from an already-low average in 2017, when the Marlins ranked 28th out of 30 MLB teams in attendance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/04/10/the-orioles-can-blame-the-weather-for-record-low-attendance-the-marlins-can-just-blame-the-marlins/?utm_term=.8f85900943fe

The lousy, cold weather and being a school night played a part in it. The fact that the Orioles aren't all that good is a factor too. But I think there's more to it than meets the eye.

I'm also a big Ravens fan and their attendance was down too. Some will point to the player protests and the Ravens boring offense and sure that's true..

But...

I think one of the big reasons Baltimore sports attendance is down is...  Baltimore. Whether true or not, the city is just not perceived as a safe place to visit by a lot of people. It's not just sports. Look at all the business and restaurants that either close or move out of the city on what seems like a daily basis.

12 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

The lousy, cold weather and being a school night played a part in it. The fact that the Orioles aren't all that good is a factor too. But I think there's more to it than meets the eye.

I'm also a big Ravens fan and their attendance was down too. Some will point to the player protests and the Ravens boring offense and sure that's true..

But...

I think one of the big reasons Baltimore sports attendance is down is...  Baltimore. Whether true or not, the city is just not perceived as a safe place to visit by a lot of people. It's not just sports. Look at all the business and restaurants that either close or move out of the city on what seems like a daily basis.

The city is expanding and contracting. Hampden,Remington, Woodberry and Locust Point are growing and more shops and other things going up. Apartments in Locust Point. Union Collective in Woodberry ,an area ready to explode . The stadium area is actually contracting. The growth areas are the ones I mentioned.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bs-fe-union-collective-update-20180313-story.html

On 4/10/2018 at 6:51 AM, Going Underground said:

And how many kids cheer free were at the game yesterday? Not many in that cold and a school night. Tuesday and Wednesday look a little warmer,especially Wednesday. i see about 10,000 a game for both games. Tonight might be less.

Lowest three game series attendance ever at Camden Yards. 

Total = 26,954

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Lowest three game series attendance ever at Camden Yards. 

Total = 26,954

Hey, look at the positive trend though!

It'd be funny to do some kind of grand analysis of attendance vs temperature.   I'm sure there's some correlation there.  So you could almost predict how many more people will attend a game per increase in one degree Fahrenheit, lol.   Probably not linear though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted similar things before, but at what point do we really start to worry about long-term attendance problems? 

Sometimes I worry that allowing the Nationals in D.C. may have caused the death of the franchise. 

Archived