Frobby

9 minutes ago, pwhite said:

I've posted similar things before, but at what point do we really start to worry about long-term attendance problems? 

Sometimes I worry that allowing the Nationals in D.C. may have caused the death of the franchise. 

Mismanagement by the Angelos family deserves most of the blame.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think  average attendance would be if all tickets were free, or like five bucks or something. Not that this would happen, just curious if we took that variable out of it, how much of our attendance problems is really just about lack of interest. 

28 minutes ago, Rick_Schu said:

What do you guys think  average attendance would be if all tickets were free, or like five bucks or something. Not that this would happen, just curious if we took that variable out of it, how much of our attendance problems is really just about lack of interest. 

Full. Attendance. 

1 hour ago, pwhite said:

I've posted similar things before, but at what point do we really start to worry about long-term attendance problems? 

Sometimes I worry that allowing the Nationals in D.C. may have caused the death of the franchise. 

Just sometimes? Adding a second team to the market has had a dramatic effect on O's attendance IMO. Most of my friends that reside in DC or NOVA do not go to Baltimore anymore. It's gotten to the point where I don't even ask them to go with me, because I know what their answer will be. I still attend 10 or so games a year in Baltimore, and 3 or 4 a year at Nats park, but that is not the norm down here. Thank goodness for the TV deal. On a side note, I went to the Wizards playoff game last night, and there was a thunderous "O" during the national anthem. O's fans are still deep in the DC market.

44 minutes ago, Rick_Schu said:

What do you guys think that average attendance would be if all tickets were free, or like five bucks, or something ??? Not that this would happen, I'm just curious if we took that variable out of it, how much of our attendance problems is really just about lack of interest. 

15 minutes ago, weams said:

Full. Attendance.

14 minutes ago, weams said:

And yes, it is about lack of interest. But Free or Cheap always fills the rafters.

o

In 1974 the WFL appeared to be off to a great start, with raucous, dense crowds for the first 2 games of the Philadelphia Bell's season at JFK Stadium.

It turned out ot be just a mirage.

World ‘Freebie’ League? Sun and Stars Appalled

(By Murray Crass)

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/08/07/archives/world-freebie-league-sun-and-stars-appalled-freebies-cause-stir-in.html

o

1 hour ago, pwhite said:

Portland, here we come. 

When the Orioles field a good team their attendance is solid to very good. The halcyon days of a brand new, trend-setting stadium, Cal’s streak,  one of the largest payrolls in baseball, and no competition from the Nats are gone forever, but the Os draw just fine when they field a competitive team. I think they would have to make and maybe even win the World Series to draw three million again, but attendance in 2014 for example was very competitive. 

2 hours ago, Rick_Schu said:

Oakland A's offered free parking AND free tickets to a game last week to celebrate their 50th anniversary. They drew over 46,000 people.

I think the Orioles should offer all upper level tickets for every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday game for $5.

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

When the Orioles field a good team their attendance is solid to very good. The halcyon days of a brand new, trend-setting stadium, Cal’s streak,  one of the largest payrolls in baseball, and no competition from the Nats are gone forever, but the Os draw just fine when they field a competitive team. I think they would have to make and maybe even win the World Series to draw three million again, but attendance in 2014 for example was very competitive. 

Great point. In 2014, the Orioles were 13th in attendance, right behind the Nationals and Cubs. Obviously, the feel of the team started to shift in 2015 and the air began to come out of the balloon, but 2014 was a very likeable group of guys making up the Orioles team. It was easy to get invested in the product and you expected a fun experience each game. 

On 4/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, weams said:

Portland, here we come. 

The MLB is looking to add two teams in the fairly near future. Tampa is in a far worse situation, so for now the Orioles are safe in Baltimore until two teams have been added and Tampa has been moved, at the very least.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

The MLB is looking to add two teams in the fairly near future. Tampa is in a far worse situation, so for now the Orioles are safe in Baltimore until two teams have been added and Tampa has been moved, at the very least.

The Portland Athletics sound pretty good. The Orioles are unlikely to leave Baltimore in our life time (even for you young guys). 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

BTW, some if not a lot of the MLB expansion talk is pretty over the top. One of those plans called for doing away with the two leagues, shortening the season, etc. MLB will probably be facing very serious labor unrest in the near future and other challenges. If I had to place a bet on it, I would bet that MLB is very cautious and conservative about expansion. 

Archived