15 days in, fun summer or not?

wildcard

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

How come you were blacked out in KY? MASN's market doesn't reach that far

I believe it. I was (maybe still am) blacked out in NC and have no ability to get MASN. I've had to look for streaming sites.

It's BS, but what can you do if you aren't even given the option to pay for it?

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What about the defense do you think is so bad?

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Outfield is slow, first baseman is in decline, second baseman lacks range, SS and 3B are playing out of position and the catchers can't throw.

Other than that it's fine.

Per Fangraphs, we are 16th of 30 so far.     That’s not terrible.    It’s just not where we’d like it to be.

13 games means nothing.   We had the best record in the American League in mid May last year, didn't we?

As always, there will be good stuff and bad stuff.   There will be players who surprise and players who disappoint.   It's just a matter of the proportion of either that will determine what kind of a season it is.

And as Frobby pointed out, one of our best pitchers has yet to pitch for us.

Early on, it's been enjoyable to watch Mancini continue to develop as a player;  Bundy has been fantastic;  seeing Sisco play quite a bit for the first time has also been good.   Anthony Santander is raw but looks like a player.

And some things have been very not-fun.   I won't re-hash them all because they have been discussed ad nauseum.

We know the team will hit better than they have so far.   It's just a matter of how much better and when some guys come out of their slumps.

The bullpen is a huge question mark so far.   In a small sample size they have struggled.   It's a concern.   But it is a small sample size.

6 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

I believe it. I was (maybe still am) blacked out in NC and have no ability to get MASN. I've had to look for streaming sites.

It's BS, but what can you do if you aren't even given the option to pay for it?

Reason for NC blackouts is due to Time warner and MASN not agreeing on rights fees. NC is still in the O's market. 

10 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

How come you were blacked out in KY? MASN's market doesn't reach that far

I think it had to do with the Red's being just to the north. When my late wife and I moved there she made sure we had MASN as part of our bundle. However when we sat down to watch a game we got a notice about the game being a blackout.  I am sure I could have subscribed to a package somewhere but shortly thereafter life went to hell in a handbasket and funds were just to tight. My wife lost her fight with cancer in Jan 2015. Kentucky, though beautiful was not the same so I moved back to Md. Now I get to watch/listen to my Orioles all the time now. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Reason for NC blackouts is due to Time warner and MASN not agreeing on rights fees. NC is still in the O's market. 

www.unlocator.com

I'm in Connecticut. Even with MLBTV, every game against NYY/BOS is blacked out. That's like one fifth of the season. Unlocator tricks MLB into thinking I live in AnywhereElse USA. Only $5 per month. 

3 minutes ago, OsLuvrInKy said:

I think it had to do with the Red's being just to the north. When my late wife and I moved there she made sure we had MASN as part of our bundle. However when we sat down to watch a game we got a notice about the game being a blackout.  I am sure I could have subscribed to a package somewhere but shortly thereafter life went to hell in a handbasket and funds were just to tight. My wife lost her fight with cancer in Jan 2015. Kentucky, though beautiful was not the same so I moved back to Md. Now I get to watch/listen to my Orioles all the time now. 

Unless the Reds are playing the O's, that shouldn't matter. Sorry about your wife. 

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Ah so that's the reason. Timewarner/Spectrum is a terrible company. But most cable companies are.

Always the fans that suffer

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

www.unlocator.com

I'm in Connecticut. Even with MLBTV, every game against NYY/BOS is blacked out. That's like one fifth of the season. Unlocator tricks MLB into thinking I live in AnywhereElse USA. Only $5 per month. 

I have cable due to Grandma not wanting to pay for all these streaming services, so i'm good. 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't 50%.  I'll be happy with 38% at the end of the year.

Anyone want to guess if Caleb or Chance has the higher cs% at the end of the season?

I am surprised the Chance has not bounced every throw.   My expectation were very low for his ability to throw anyone out.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I am surprised the Chance has not bounced every throw.   My expectation were very low for his ability to throw anyone out.

Not surprising considering how much time you spend around here.  ;)

I think some folks had images of him under-handing the ball to second the ways folks were talking.

I have never seen so many posters down on a position prospect about to make his ML debut.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not surprising considering how much time you spend around here.  ;)

I think some folks had images of him under-handing the ball to second the ways folks were talking.

I have never seen so many posters down on a position prospect about to make his ML debut.

Hey, I watched him bounce them last year and in ST.  He has been surprisingly better in the first 15 days of the season.  

Archived