15 days in, fun summer or not?

wildcard

You have seen them for 1/2 a month.   You know the players histories.   You see the competition.    You are seeing the rookie additions.  Cashner and you know Cobb's rep. What's your opinion?  Is this going to be a fun summer to watch the O's or not?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really.  I'm already "afraid" to watch them or else I'll jinx them.  It's fun watching Sisco evolve.  I like (sic) Santanda.  I'm leery of Cobb but hopeful.  Bundy is fun and Gausman still struggles, but at least he can challenge the hitters.  Manny is hitting well.  We're a mediocre bunch but I would not describe this summer as being "fun" to be an O's fan.  But then I'm a glass half full guy anyway.  :)

Offensively I think it comes down to what they get out of RF, DH and 1B. I trust the group of Mancini, Manny, Schoop and Davis will produce. I still think Beckham hits .250 ish with 20 plus HR’s. I like Sisco but I did not go into the season expecting him to be a key part of the offense yet. 

This should be the best starting staff since 2014 but that isn’t saying much. They will need the top 4 to produce because the number 5 slot is a mess. I don’t see any internal answers either. 

The pen I think will fine but not as special as in years past. One key is the rotation eating up more innings.  

To answer your question I am not sure just yet. That said I feel better than I normally would about a 5-8 team. Cobb is on the way and we should hit better.  I think we will need Hays down the road to produce and one of the DH/1B spots to pick it up to really have a chance. 

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This team has ups and they will win some games, but this team has ugly losses, and quite a few more ahead. I think the 70 win predictions are pretty strong.

I think Cobb is going to have a pretty big impact.   Getting past one big hole in the rotation is a lot easier than getting past two.   The offense has been spotty so far, but in the end if the starting pitching is solid, we will win our share, I think. Getting quality starts the last three nights has made me feel a little better.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I think Cobb is going to have a pretty big impact.   Getting past one big hole in the rotation is a lot easier than getting past two.   The offense has been spotty so far, but in the end if the starting pitching is solid, we will win our share, I think. Getting quality starts the last three nights has made me feel a little better.    

I agree. The bats will come around, and when they do, the pitching gives out. It’s like clockwork.

I am cautiously excited. I think the rotation will be much improved. Really like what I see from Cashner so far and obviously Bundy. Gausman will be decent with some flashes of brilliance and Cobb may be the best of the group. Honestly, my biggest worry is the bullpen without a true closer. Right now I would honestly prefer to see Bleier with the game on the line, regardless of matchups.

I said over the winter that Bundy was going to be an ace.  I still believe that.   Cashner, Cobb and Gausman will be solid.  Between Tillman, Ynoa and Hess I think they will find a #5 but it will not be pretty.   Someone is going to come up with a 4.50-4.80 ERA.   

Britton will be back June 1st.   And I think he will be the Britton on old.  There is enough depth in the pen to put up a 3.50 ERA for the season.  

The hitting will be OK.   Hays will be ready by mid May or June.   Sisco is a hitter for average and he will drive in runs.  He is unlike most of the O's hitters.  Not swing for the fence all the time.  He is surprising me with his defense and throwing so far.     I think the offense will be better than last year.   Maybe 750-780 runs. 

The defense is going to be much better.  Manny and Beckham are going to get better and better.   Hays will be solid in right.  This should be a very good defensive team.

I think they will be in contention for a wild card spot right till the end of the season.

Archived