David Hess an Oriole

wildcard

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't understand the whole "bring up Harvey now!" crowd.

He has pitched all of 18 innings in the last few seasons. He is still working on atleast 1 of his pitches, possibly 2. 

Let him get 1 healthy year in.

Desperation.

Grasping at straws.

Our #5 starter spot is so bad people are willing to try anything.   There was a re-sign Ubaldo post recently.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He has pitched all of 18 innings in the last few seasons. He is still working on atleast 1 of his pitches, possibly 2. 

I understand it.  They think Harvey will perform better than any of the candidates for the position of fifth starter.

They either don't think putting him in the role will have negative long term consequences for Harvey or they don't care.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Desperation.

Grasping at straws.

Our #5 starter spot is so bad people are willing to try anything.   There was a re-sign Ubaldo post recently.

That's what I don't get.

People knew it would be bad yet act like it's a shock. Are people playing good? No. But it's less than 20 games into the season. There is no need to fire a manager and bring in someone else, because it's still the same team. Just like rushing Harvey for this season doesn't make a difference. Mortgaging the future for the present.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I understand it.  They think Harvey will perform better than any of the candidates for the position of fifth starter.

They either don't think putting him in the role will have negative long term consequences for Harvey or they don't care.

Probably both. 

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't want him up either.Just saying he cant be the fifth starter for awhile. I just don't understand why he has not pitched since Spring Training. 

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That's what I don't get.

People knew it would be bad yet act like it's a shock. Are people playing good? No. But it's less than 20 games into the season. There is no need to fire a manager and bring in someone else, because it's still the same team. Just like rushing Harvey for this season doesn't make a difference. Mortgaging the future for the present.

We're all fans.   We spend 3 hours nearly every day watching the game and we want to see good baseball and see a win.

So even people who expected the team to be bad are still disappointed when they watch the badness.

You have people that have said all spring that the team sucks, and SOME of those people now want to fire Buck because the team (which they say sucks) is sucking.   That's not logically consistent, of course.

But we are fans, which is short for fanatic.   Our fandom is not just logical, it's emotional too.   We all do it to some extent, let our emotion get in the way of our logic.   [Well, maybe all of us except Corn and Drungo].

Some of the people who have wanted to trade all our veterans and do a Houston style rebuild... would probably be totally miserable enduring an under 60 win total season or two in a row.   Even though it sounds like a good idea, actually watching such a team every day -- a depth that we NEVER reached in the 14 straight losing seasons -- would be a miserable experience.

People who loved the Davis deal now want him cut with many years left on it;  people who said they never wanted to see Wright start again found themselves wanting Wright to start over TIllman when they actually had to watch Tillman start last night and the stuff he had.     

We're human beings, we aren't always logical, especially when it comes to something as inherently emotional as fandom.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We're all fans.   We spend 3 hours nearly every day watching the game and we want to see good baseball and see a win.

So even people who expected the team to be bad are still disappointed when they watch the badness.

You have people that have said all spring that the team sucks, and SOME of those people now want to fire Buck because the team (which they say sucks) is sucking.   That's not logically consistent, of course.

But we are fans, which is short for fanatic.   Our fandom is not just logical, it's emotional too.   We all do it to some extent, let our emotion get in the way of our logic.   [Well, maybe all of us except Corn and Drungo].

Some of the people who have wanted to trade all our veterans and do a Houston style rebuild... would probably be totally miserable enduring an under 60 win total season or two in a row.   Even though it sounds like a good idea, actually watching such a team every day -- a depth that we NEVER reached in the 14 straight losing seasons -- would be a miserable experience.

People who loved the Davis deal now want him cut with many years left on it;  people who said they never wanted to see Wright start again found themselves wanting Wright to start over TIllman when they actually had to watch Tillman start last night and the stuff he had.     

We're human beings, we aren't always logical, especially when it comes to something as inherently emotional as fandom.

I was there.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He would. But his innings limit for the year would be done in June. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think all our posters believe in innings limits.

Not all of our posters believe that there’s a difference between pitching at Delmarva and pitching in the major leagues.    Not all of them believe that there’s a difference between pitching a full year at Frederick and then Bowie and sitting on the sidelines rehabbing from arm injuries.    So just bring Harvey up, he’s the magical solution to our problems!

Archived