Swing and a Miss

Aglets

I have no explanation or working theory, but I think the data so far is pretty troubling.  As some have pointed out, the Orioles are on pace to shatter the single season record for team strikeouts.   K's seem to be up this year all around baseball, so I want to be careful before coming down too hard on our guys specifically.

But it does need to be pointed out that a good chunk of our lineup is really struggling to make contact right now.........at rates much higher than normal for them.  Except for Chris Davis, interestingly enough, heh.

The Data:

Player  2018 K rate  (Career K rate)   Difference by %

Joseph  45.5%  (23.9%)  +21.6

Beckham 35.8%  (30.1%)   +5.7

Davis  30%   (32%)  -2.0

Schoop  29.2%  (22.7%)  +6.5

Jones  26.8% (18.9%)  +7.9

So that's 4/5 of our regulars that are striking out at rates much higher than normal.  Joseph obviously is just abysmal, we have to hope that will balance out.

So.........what do we think?  Just a SSS blip?   Or something more concerning?    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just a blip, for the most part.    By the way, is there a reason you didn’t list Machado or Mancini?   Manny’s at 17.6% compared to 16.8% career, Trey is at 16.4% compared to 23.0% career.   

I intended this thread to focus more on the guys that are parts of the problem, not guys that are a part of the solution.

Maybe I should've just done the whole lineup.    Rasmus is at an absurd 56.5% so far........granted he hasn't played in awhile though.

38 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have no explanation or working theory, but I think the data so far is pretty troubling.  As some have pointed out, the Orioles are on pace to shatter the single season record for team strikeouts.   K's seem to be up this year all around baseball, so I want to be careful before coming down too hard on our guys specifically.

But it does need to be pointed out that a good chunk of our lineup is really struggling to make contact right now.........at rates much higher than normal for them.  Except for Chris Davis, interestingly enough, heh.

The Data:

Player  2018 K rate  (Career K rate)   Difference by %

Joseph  45.5%  (23.9%)  +21.6

Beckham 35.8%  (30.1%)   +5.7

Davis  30%   (32%)  -2.0

Schoop  29.2%  (22.7%)  +6.5

Jones  26.8% (18.9%)  +7.9

So that's 4/5 of our regulars that are striking out at rates much higher than normal.  Joseph obviously is just abysmal, we have to hope that will balance out.

So.........what do we think?  Just a SSS blip?   Or something more concerning?    

Joseph is now playing more and is not the backup at the present.He is a backup catcher.Beckham was 15th in the majors last year in strikeouts.He strikes out alot.I think last year was the most AB's he has gotten in his career.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Joseph is now playing more and is not the backup at the present.He is a backup catcher.Beckham was 15th in the majors last year in strikeouts.He strikes out alot.I think last year was the most AB's he has gotten in his career.

Joseph has been a starter for a decent amount of time in the past so I don't think his work load has anything to do with his slow start. I just think he's off to a slow start that is magnified by the team's slow start. Saying that, he will need to pick it up or Sisco will start eating into his playing time more and more even though Joseph is a much better game caller than Sisco.

Not trying to make excuses for them (really!) but they've faced some very tough pitchers through the early season as well.

Berrios, Verlander, Kuechel, Tanaka, Sonny Gray, Sale, Sanchez.  About half of their games have been against guys that you could include as possible Cy Young contenders.  We'll still strike out a lot, but I think as the schedule softens a bit you'll inevitably see these numbers start to drop some.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Joseph has been a starter for a decent amount of time in the past so I don't think his work load has anything to do with his slow start. I just think he's off to a slow start that is magnified by the team's slow start. Saying that, he will need to pick it up or Sisco will start eating into his playing time more and more even though Joseph is a much better game caller than Sisco.

I agree.    Joseph was our de facto starter in 2014, and played a lot in 2015 and 2017.

But when he slumps, he has trouble righting the ship.   

Archived