Chris Davis has a problem with velocity.

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Thats an insult to any golfer, Pros have like a 120 mph club head speed and even I have 95. I'd be surprised if Davis had a bat sped over 70

Not being a golfer myself, I am not knowledgeable on that. How about "a slow motion golf swing"? But it's the severe upper cut that I'm referencing. And I agree about the speed of the swing. It also resembles a lazy swat at a house fly you have no intention of killing. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with this overwhelming data.... what are the O's going to do

They need invent him an injury that would allow for a very long rehab assignment.

If he can't get back his bat speed he needs to be DFA'd to reduce the damage he is doing to the 25/40 man rosters

I wonder if these guys ever feel guilt? To be paid 160 million dollars to be the absolute worst of your profession.

Maybe he could write at least an 80 million dollar check to some charity(s) in the city of Baltimore.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Thats an insult to any golfer, Pros have like a 120 mph club head speed and even I have 95. I'd be surprised if Davis had a bat sped over 70

I’m going to venture a guess that Davis has more clubhead speed than you do.    But swinging a golf club at a stationary object and swinging a baseball bat at a 95 mph pitch are very different skills.

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m going to venture a guess that Davis has more clubhead speed than you do.    But swinging a golf club at a stationary object and swinging a baseball bat at a 95 mph pitch are very different skills.

Perhaps he does, but I bet I had better speed at his age. He just looks like he has completely lost all his fast twitch muscles (the ones premium athletes depend on).

For those who say he always had a slow bat, he always had a long swing, but no, he used to have much more bat speed.

Watch these and compare the 2017 home run (start of the first video) and some of the 2013 home runs (second video)

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The AVERAGE major leaguer's bat speed is 84-87. I am CERTAIN Davis's bat speed is well over that. 

His swing is too long and barely stays in the hitting zone. (ala major uppercut). If he flattened his swing out some, he would be FAR better. Don't attribute bat speed with getting beat by fastballs, they are not the same.

My concern with Davis is he hasn't changed things up. Whether its EGO or organizational conversations (hitting coaches), doesn't matter, he needs to flatten out some. Silly to continue to be this bad.

That's why I keep asking about whether anyone has watched him closely in BP.

Usually you can see when a power hitter has lost bat speed from how far and how many big flys he hits in BP.

I can't believe it wasn't obvious to the O's coaches and Buck that Davis is washed up.... and yet there he is batting against Chris Sale

3 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

The AVERAGE major leaguer's bat speed is 84-87. I am CERTAIN Davis's bat speed is well over that. 

His swing is too long and barely stays in the hitting zone. (ala major uppercut). If he flattened his swing out some, he would be FAR better. Don't attribute bat speed with getting beat by fastballs, they are not the same.

My concern with Davis is he hasn't changed things up. Whether its EGO or organizational conversations (hitting coaches), doesn't matter, he needs to flatten out some. Silly to continue to be this bad.

7 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

His swing was always long, slow down video of him swinging, .25 speed is available on the Youtube videos I posted, it's pretty obvious there is a loss of bat speed.

Edit: the mechanics of the swing are quite similar in 2013 and 2017

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

For those who say he always had a slow bat, he always had a long swing, but no, he used to have much more bat speed.

Watch these and compare the 2017 home run (start of the first video) and some of the 2013 home runs (second video)

Thats crazy, its amazing the top one even gets out the way it looks, he just has so much power. The first home run of each video are night and day. The bottom one looks 10 times faster (obviously it isn't). Speaking of golfers, you can fall into this trap of trying to be too cute with it. Some people you have to tell to slow it down and not overswing, but there are also many that need to be told to go after it. It is a lot mentally to just commit to each shot. I think it plays into Davis some too. When you aren't seeing the ball well and are doubting internally it is tough to commit and take a hard cut at something. I find it very hard to believe he just can't swing really hard anymore, I think it is more of a mental block and unable to see it.

Chris has gotten to the point where I question everything. And I'm not saying these to make fun of him. But can he see? Dan Uggla years ago had to get contacts after he realized his vision was deteriorating. No idea if Davis has vision problems but it has gotten to that point where I wonder. I even look at him and wonder if his bat is too heavy. It isn't good to question these simple things, it is sad. I felt pretty good about him having a decent rebound season coming into this year too. Psychiatric help could go a long way too, he's battling something beyond what is obvious.

6 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Thats crazy, its amazing the top one even gets out the way it looks, he just has so much power. The first home run of each video are night and day. The bottom one looks 10 times faster (obviously it isn't). Speaking of golfers, you can fall into this trap of trying to be too cute with it. Some people you have to tell to slow it down and not overswing, but there are also many that need to be told to go after it. It is a lot mentally to just commit to each shot. I think it plays into Davis some too. When you aren't seeing the ball well and are doubting internally it is tough to commit and take a hard cut at something. I find it very hard to believe he just can't swing really hard anymore, I think it is more of a mental block and unable to see it.

Chris has gotten to the point where I question everything. And I'm not saying these to make fun of him. But can he see? Dan Uggla years ago had to get contacts after he realized his vision was deteriorating. No idea if Davis has vision problems but it has gotten to that point where I wonder. I even look at him and wonder if his bat is too heavy. It isn't good to question these simple things, it is sad. I felt pretty good about him having a decent rebound season coming into this year too. Psychiatric help could go a long way too, he's battling something beyond what is obvious.

You think teams would give vision tests every spring.  Players are expensive investments that you want operating at peak performance.

I would have to assume the Orioles checked CD’s vision in figuring out what is wrong with him.  

1 minute ago, esmd said:

Eh, some of his home runs in that video show him swinging harder than others.  Hard to be conclusive.  All I know is, I miss the guy in the lower video.

Even the easy swings from 2013, look at load to impact time. It's explosive. Sometimes the follow through is easy, but he uncoils in a way that doesn't happen anymore.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You think teams would give vision tests every spring.  Players are expensive investments that you want operating at peak performance.

I would have to assume the Orioles checked CD’s vision in figuring out what is wrong with him.  

I would certainly hope every team does.

Didn't Daniel Cabrera come out with glasses one start and was dominant and everyone thought that was his issue the whole time? Ended up wrong, and I could be making that story up or dreamed it but it sounds right xD

33 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm finding it hard not to assume he was enhanced in those years. Either that, or his use of amphetamines has caught up to him.

It's definitely a feasible theory. Juices for a long time, gets the big contract, then decides he doesn't want the risk and goes clean.

Archived