Could Mullins move Jones to right field?

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think there's a high probability that Jones plays a few games in right this year. If Mullins hits in the minors then the Orioles won't be able to keep him down all year. 

Mullins is 23 with about a half a season of experience in AA.  Where he's done well but hasn't dominated.  I'm excited about his potential but he's not some can't-miss 5* guy that is knocking the door down.  He needs more time.  If he has a good year I suspect he may get called up and get a few starts, but he's not going to be a permanent replacement for Jones in CF this year.  My guess is that if he were to play in CF Jones would either DH or take the day off.

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think there's a high probability that Jones plays a few games in right this year. If Mullins hits in the minors then the Orioles won't be able to keep him down all year. 

I think there's a better chance you'd see Mullins in LF if he's forcing the O's hand in bringing him up.   

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Mullins is 23 with about a half a season of experience in AA.  Where he's done well but hasn't dominated.  I'm excited about his potential but he's not some can't-miss 5* guy that is knocking the door down.  He needs more time.  If he has a good year I suspect he may get called up and get a few starts, but he's not going to be a permanent replacement for Jones in CF this year.  My guess is that if he were to play in CF Jones would either DH or take the day off.

Just to clarify, I didn't say he would replace Jones this year. If Mullins hits this year, then they will call him up. I envision some games with Mullins in center and Jones in right, but I think the O's are likely to use Mullins in left, as a replacement for Jones here and there, etc., after he's called up. But I think we might see 10 - 15 games of Mullins in center and Jones in right. 

I think post trade deadline calling up some of these kids-Mullins, etc  is possible, certainly September.

They are going to have to try to someone though at RF at some point. It would be comical to play Trumbo out there so Pedro can DH on a team going nowhere. 

I recall Britt saying that Jones likes Hays and would be willing to move for him. I know Hays profiles as more of a RF but if they club is out of it trying him in CF for a couple of months and Jones sliding over makes a ton of sense. 

The only way you sign Adam Jones for 2-3 years is with a plan he that he is a DH for a good chunk of that time. Hays gets off to a slow start and we forget about him? This team has to hope he is the long term answer in right field. Mullins in left field, where does Mancini play, DH or 1st? How about Trumbo, DH is getting kind of crowded, as if it isn't already. Can't have lame duck GM making these moves along with trades that should be made shortly. Maybe able to compete for wildcard by 2020 if right things done this season.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I would say not this year, no.  Mullins needs more time to develop, and Jones is not going to move in the final year of his contract.

If Jones would be willing to sign a 2-3 year extension, and if Mullins develops well, I could see Mullins taking over in CF next year with Jones sliding to a corner OF spot.

There is an adjustment period for outfielders in major league parks - the stadiums are bigger, wind is different, there are covered stadiums like Tropicana, etc. Knowing Buck, he'd want the rookie to get his feet wet in RF or LF.

35 minutes ago, oldfan said:

36 minutes ago, oldfan said:

The only way you sign Adam Jones for 2-3 years is with a plan he that he is a DH for a good chunk of that time. Hays gets off to a slow start and we forget about him? This team has to hope he is the long term answer in right field. Mullins in left field, where does Mancini play, DH or 1st? How about Trumbo, DH is getting kind of crowded, as if it isn't already. Can't have lame duck GM making these moves along with trades that should be made shortly. Maybe able to compete for wildcard by 2020 if right things done this season.

No one's forgotten about Hays, I certainly hope he becomes the team's RF for the next half decade, but he's not yet a finished product either.  Ideally I'd like to see Jones in LF, Mullins in CF, Hays in RF long term.  If you're committed to trying to make Davis work, Mancini becomes the DH.  If you're willing to eat Davis' contract, Mancini moves to 1st.  And none of this takes DJ Stewart into account, either.  The Orioles are likely going to have options in the OF.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

There is an adjustment period for outfielders in major league parks - the stadiums are bigger, wind is different, there are covered stadiums like Tropicana, etc. Knowing Buck, he'd want the rookie to get his feet wet in RF or LF.

Mullins doesn't have the arm for RF and his speed is wasted in LF.  He's a CF right now.  I actually would think Buck would want him playing there, getting used to the angles of the ball coming out in CF as opposed to LF or RF.

Archived