Deadline Trades

Bahama O's Fan

5 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Davis is awful. He wouldn’t have much value at a market rate. People most be smoking the dope.

The idea is that Davis would be traded with a good player like Machado or Schoop. The team that acquires them wouldn't trade anything in return since they are taking on that bad contract. Similar to how the Dodgers took on Carl Crawford's bad contract in return for Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett.

I don't think anyone here thinks a team would be interested in Davis straight up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I'd listen to deals for him, but if we still have like 3 or 4 years of Givens control, he might be worth holding onto.  We could always trade him later.  He could be our closer next year.

Of what value is that to a team in a rebuild? 

At some point people are going to realize, unless you have a cost controlled team and a farm system constantly bringing you new guys, you trade relievers the second you can for the return.  
We kept JJ after his 2012 season when he had value, and it hurt us.  Refused to trade Britton when he was the best closer in baseball and team control on his K, and it's really hurt us.  Didn't trade Brach when he was one of the hottest setup men in baseball with team control, and its hurt us. 
Always sell high on them when they are at their peak trading value.  

6 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I still think we match up with Detroit for a bad contract swap.

I had posted a really fanciful one while they were cleaning our clocks Thursday afternoon.  Trumbo and Davis for Miggy, V-Mart, Zimmermann and $100M.

And since then, it's occurred to me that if the two teams didn't want the commissioner's office to have to approve the cash, the Tigers have Michael Fulmer, who if you believe will be a 3-win pitcher this year and his four arb years, is perhaps about a $100M asset.  So Fulmer instead of the cash and Zimmermann's the 6th starter.  Tigers clean their books and we put $150M into the Bundy-Mancini, Life After Manny core. 

And show Manny how serious we are about winning throughout his prime!!!

Conceptually it would be similar to the Dodgers-Braves Kemp trade, in which $40M of bad debt for a 1-year term was swapped for the same amount over 2 years to massage the luxury tax.

There's no reason to throw away prospects to get rid of Davis contract.  Davis is already a sunk cost.  Most teams have 1 or more bad contracts.  Maybe not as bad as Davis.  Detroit has several bad contracts.  Maybe in a year, Davis will be tired of embarassing himself and wil take a buyout. 

13 hours ago, ScGO's said:

That's true.  If better options are available for other teams, we might not get much or anything.  I guess it becomes a balancing act to determine what is a better return: the trade and return versus the draft pick compensation.

BUT with the way the market worked this offseason, I could see Jones or Brach taking qualifying offer.  

I think Machado is the only guy who WOULDN'T take the QO.

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think we can turn it around fairly quickly (1-2 years). We could have a starting pitching group of Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner and Harvey next season. Not too shabby. We always seem to be able to develop bullpen arms or pick them up cheap.

Sisco at catcher, Need Mancini at 1B or DH and rid of two of the Trumbo, Davis, Alvarez combo. Schoop at 2B if you sign him long term. Beckham at SS. Need a 3B. OF of Mullins, Hays, Santander. That's not that bad. A lot of money to spend too. Sign up Schoop, Bundy and Gausman to extensions.

Ftfy and Stewart is likely ready before Santander.

15 hours ago, theocean said:

Personally, I think it is more likely that Davis turns it around and starts playing decent than him getting traded in 2018 or 2019.

No one would trade for Davis at this point. He's a liability for any team, financially as well as on the field.

14 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I had posted a really fanciful one while they were cleaning our clocks Thursday afternoon.  Trumbo and Davis for Miggy, V-Mart, Zimmermann and $100M.

And since then, it's occurred to me that if the two teams didn't want the commissioner's office to have to approve the cash, the Tigers have Michael Fulmer, who if you believe will be a 3-win pitcher this year and his four arb years, is perhaps about a $100M asset.  So Fulmer instead of the cash and Zimmermann's the 6th starter.  Tigers clean their books and we put $150M into the Bundy-Mancini, Life After Manny core. 

And show Manny how serious we are about winning throughout his prime!!!

Conceptually it would be similar to the Dodgers-Braves Kemp trade, in which $40M of bad debt for a 1-year term was swapped for the same amount over 2 years to massage the luxury tax.

The Cabrera deal is deadly.

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

There's no reason to throw away prospects to get rid of Davis contract.  Davis is already a sunk cost.  Most teams have 1 or more bad contracts.  Maybe not as bad as Davis.  Detroit has several bad contracts.  Maybe in a year, Davis will be tired of embarassing himself and wil take a buyout. 

Davis is in no jeopardy of losing one dollar of his deal unless he gets caught using PEDs again. Not one dollar. 

I still think Brach’s problem is usage. With him having three pitches, he needs to be pitching often. Every 2-3 games. We can’t have him sitting around waiting for save opportunities. 

Back to the OP, Machado will bring a haul. Britton, Jones, and Brach will bring something back. We’re stuck with O’day, Davis, and Trumbo. 

2019 is looking like,

Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Gausman, Harvey

Givens, O’day, Bleier, Castro, Scott, Arajuo, Hess

DH- Trumbo

1B- Davis 

2B- Schoop

3B- ?

SS-Beckham

LF- Mancini

CF- Mullins

RF- Hays

C- Sisco

Stewart, Rickard, Wynns, Vielma

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still think Brach’s problem is usage. With him having three pitches, he needs to be pitching often. Every 2-3 games. We can’t have him sitting around waiting for save opportunities. 

Back to the OP, Machado will bring a haul. Britton, Jones, and Brach will bring something back. We’re stuck with O’day, Davis, and Trumbo. 

2019 is looking like,

DH- Trumbo

1B- Davis 

2B- Schoop

3B- ?

SS-Beckham

LF- Mancini

CF- Mullins

RF- Hays

C- Sisco

Brach's velocity is down about 3 mph since last season. Big difference between 96 and 93.

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=6627&position=P&pitch=FA&data=pi

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Brach's velocity is down about 3 mph since last season. Big difference between 96 and 93.

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=6627&position=P&pitch=FA&data=pi

His command has been way off this year. His delivery is out of whack. Pitching more for him probably helps that. 

The guy  just needs to get outs. It’s not like he’s even pitching in save situations anyway. 

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2019 is looking like,

DH- Trumbo

1B- Davis 

2B- Schoop

3B- ?

SS-Beckham

LF- Mancini

CF- Mullins

RF- Hays

C- Sisco

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Now we will need a 3B desperately and there is still some question marks, but not 100 loss horrible or anything.

3 minutes ago, esmd said:

If Trumbo gets back from injury and hits, you might be able to move him at the deadline or over the offseason.  Davis is stuck here, no one is taking that boat anchor off of our hands. 

If Davis shows no signs of life by mid-season, I hope the Orioles just decide to cut bait.   I'd much rather see Mancini on first base, with an outfield of Hays, Mullins, Stewart.  

Archived