2018 Alex Cobb (Late edition)

Il BuonO

For the sake of continuity (I was working a lot during his first start) and superstition left over from my playing days, a thread for the ace (*cough) of the staff.

Let’s see, so this will be his third ST start?

Well, I’m sure he’ll want to stick it to his former team! A real test, the Rays.

4.2 IP, 5ER, 10H, 0k's tonight.  I'm worried.  Granted I've been too busy to watch tonight, but this is an extremely Tillman-esque line.  Does his stuff look any better than his stats?  Please tell me it does.

10 minutes ago, joelala said:

4.2 IP, 5ER, 10H, 0k's tonight.  I'm worried.  Granted I've been too busy to watch tonight, but this is an extremely Tillman-esque line.  Does his stuff look any better than his stats?  Please tell me it does.

From what I’ve seen he has flashes, but nothing consistent. 

He threw a lot of pitches up. And his pitches don't have a bite on them, yet. Far too much contact. I don't recall many (any?) swings and misses.

Also, I've been a broken record with it...but Sisco is not a good pitch framer. I counted at least 4 times in the first couple innings that Cobb either had clear strikes or strikes that would be typically called if Sisco could frame a damn pitch.

That said, whomever made the decision to not force Cobb to do some rehab starts (3 of them, at least) really has some explaining to do. Because Cobb is a disaster right now.

12 minutes ago, joelala said:

And Cashner was the guy everyone had worried about not having a good SO rate prior to the season.

Hasn’t most every late signing struggled?  Is it that these guys are such creatures of habit that without the most basic routine from season start to finish they just cannot preform to expected levels?   It has to be something like that or he is hurt, right? Of the three big three agent pitchers, from what I have read, he seemed like the best option. 

o

14 OUTS: ) 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

ALEXANDER MILLER COBB )))))))) (vs. D-RAYS, 4/25)

IP:llll4.67

H:llll 10 ) l(3 Doubles, 7 Singles)

R:lllll  5

BB:llll) *

SO:llll0

Pitches: l) 77  )(46 )Strikes, )31)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 13.11 )  11.67 IP  (17 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  2.829  )  11.67 IP  (33 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .484  )(30 for 62)

* )) Cobb also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING  

21  lll(11 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

13  lll(91 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

14  lll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls)

81  lll(51 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

21  lll(12 llStrikes, lll91 lllBalls) ) **

** )) Cobb recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

3 minutes ago, murph said:

Hasn’t most every late signing struggled?  Is it that these guys are such creatures of habit that without the most basic routine from season start to finish they just cannot preform to expected levels?   It has to be something like that or he is hurt, right? Of the three big three agent pitchers, from what I have read, he seemed like the best option. 

Arrieta hasn’t struggled.

At what point is the "spring training rust" over and he is just pitching horribly?  Not missing bats and getting knocked around like a piñata. 

How has his stuff looked?  I have yet to see him pitch live due to some scheduling conflicts. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. This is a 4 year commitment. We’re terrible this year anyway. Hope he doesn’t lose confidence now. We should have let him start some games in Bowie. We rushed him. 

Does he have an option left?

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

At what point is the "spring training rust" over and he is just pitching horribly?  Not missing bats and getting knocked around like a piñata. 

How has his stuff looked?  I have yet to see him pitch live due to some scheduling conflicts. 

I haven't been able to see him pitch either.

Regardless, to me the "spring training rust" has some merit, but certainly should not totally be the reason for his struggles.  Believe it or not some (most) pitchers do manage to get guys out in spring training.  He's just been awful thus far.  Hopefully he turns it around because this team needs him badly.

I think it's obvious what has happened here - Ubaldo has kidnapped Alex Cobb, had major plastic surgery, and is impersonating him.

In all honestly, I expect Cobb to get better.  Dude has been thrown into the fire with virtually no prep time.

Archived