Camden Chat: The 5 stages of grief about the 2018 Orioles

Moose Milligan

12 hours ago, atomic said:

This isn't like losing a loved one.  Dumb comparison. 

From the article. He says as much:

I mention this in an article about the 2018 Orioles because while having a favorite baseball team is of course not a matter of life and death, it is something that involves a significant investment of emotion in something outside of our control entirely.

The era the Orioles have been in since 2012 has been a fun one and it is now melting away before our eyes, the hopes stoked from three playoff appearances in the span of five seasons sputtering into nothingness.

The end of that era is not a loss like that of a family member. It’s still loss in that part of all of our lives where we are Orioles fans, unimportant in the grand scheme though that may be. You may find that you or those around you are going through the stages about the 2018 Orioles as this season continues in a hopeless direction

For pretty much my entire sentient life, I watched this team lose and lose and lose.  Pathetic teams with flawed veterans and overhyped "prospects". And yet, year after year I was watching and listening faithfully.  This year, it's been very difficult to even stomach watching this team for more than a few innings. 

Last night I stuck it out.  And after watching Cobb implode, Davis miss an easy grounder that probably would have kept them within 2 runs, and Sisco become about the 5th guy to swing at pitch in the dirt in the late innings, I was finally taken back to the ineptitude of the pre-2012 era.

I must be at acceptance.  At this point, I'll just see how guys like Scott, Sisco  and hopefully some of the OF prospects do, if/when they come up.

Archived