OPCY Future Renovations: Thoughts and Ideas

fansince1988

o

For myself, they already had an excellent renovation several years ago when they lowered the high wall in right-field by 4 few feet  (from 25 feet to 21 feet) in between the 2011 and 2012 seasons, so that you don't have to be at least 6'2" or taller in order to see the game from the SRO area.

o

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Only move I would make is to move back the fences. It's hard to win consistently in an extreme hitter's ballpark unless you have an absurd budget to work with like the Red Sox do. People wonder why every pitcher the Orioles bring up struggles when they come up. Imagine being a young pitcher and having to pitch in that bandbox against AL East competition. It feels like there is no room for error. 

Move back the left field fence seems like a good idea.  A lot of home runs that shouldn't be in that area.  I like the short porch in right.  

I don't see any of those renovations happening.  I doubt they could open the concourses from a structural standpoint, let along the fact that almost all of the bathrooms and concessions are on the inner side of the concourses.  I also don't see them moving the fences back.  In LF, you'd have to demolish a significant portion of the lower seating bowl and remove a lot of seats.  And then there are the bullpens to consider.  In RF, the flag court wall isn't going anywhere, and the bleachers and grounds crew would also eliminate moving that fence back.  I suppose they could make CF deeper, but it would skew the dimensions, and I think the current depth is just fine.  They could probably revamp the picnic area and the statues, but I don't know what else they'd do there.  I like the rooftop seating.  The only thing I could see them doing is building some of sort of structure or deck coming off the side of the warehouse and putting a couple rows of seats there, a la the Monster seats at Fenway.  They'd be way back there though, it'd be more of a novelty thing.

Honestly, I think it's mostly fine the way it is, don't **** it up.  Put the money into upkeep and upgrades that don't require major structural changes such as interior, sound and video upgrades.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Move the left field fence in 15 feet.  

Move the centerfield fence out 35 feet.

I'm basically making it like the Polo Grounds.

I would love if the sod farm next to the bullpens was part of centerfield.  I wouldn't love watching Jones run after all the balls though.

7 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Only move I would make is to move back the fences. It's hard to win consistently in an extreme hitter's ballpark unless you have an absurd budget to work with like the Red Sox do. People wonder why every pitcher the Orioles bring up struggles when they come up. Imagine being a young pitcher and having to pitch in that bandbox against AL East competition. It feels like there is no room for error. 

They did that one year and everyone hated it.    (They didn’t actually move the fences, they moved home plate back about 8 feet IIRC.)

10 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Camden Yards is not an extreme hitter's ballpark by any stretch. It's a good home run park, but it's actually below average in doubles and triples. Last year it was in the middle of the pack in overall scoring.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Move the left field fence in 15 feet.  

Move the centerfield fence out 35 feet.

I'm basically making it like the Polo Grounds.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree!  I also like the idea to move back left field fence about 15 feet.  Maybe have a jut out in center field to make dead center about 420'.

I love this idea. I think big centerfields make for a more exciting game. I like to see outfielders covering tons of ground to make great catches and I love to see doubles and triples, especially with runners on base. More exciting to me than watching home runs.

7 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I love this idea. I think big centerfields make for a more exciting game. I like to see outfielders covering tons of ground to make great catches and I love to see doubles and triples, especially with runners on base. More exciting to me than watching home runs.

I think triples are about the most exciting play in baseball.  Camden Yards  is death for triples.  It's not just that it is small, there are no irregular angles in the outfield walls to give odd rebounds that allow a runner to take that 3rd base.

Archived