How do Davis, Alvarez and Trumbo coexist on the roster?

wildcard

Buck can do this. 

Let's start with Pedro Alvarez,   As long as he is hot he has to play.   Against righthanded pitching anyway.   Where?  DH mostly.   But we are in "anything goes" territory at 3B right now.   Pedro is not that different from Valencia defensively at 3B.   Both are poor.   But that changes when Schoop comes back.   Then Schoop plays 2B everyday and Peterson goes to 3B, at least against righties.   Maybe more depending on whether he is hits or not.   That puts Pedro back at DH.    Probably rarely at 1B.  

Trumbo will not be at DH vs righties as long as Pedro is hitting.   Trumbo  can  DH vs lefties until Schoop come back.  Then Valencia DHs vs lefties.  Trumbo can also be at 1B versus any pitcher he hits.   If he hits he plays.  If he doesn't he only plays versus the pitchers he has hit in the past.   Trumbo in RF?   Probably not much but maybe some.    He could play some RF especially  until Santander is optioned and Rickard comes back up or until Rasmus comes back to the O's 25 man roster.

Davis?  Forget the salary.   Its been two years since his contract was signed and he has had a lot of chances.  If he hits he plays.   But he hasn't so far this year.  So  he may only play vs the pitchers he has hit.   He may sit vs lefties for the most part.  And he is the O's best defensive 1B so he can be defensive replacement at 1B.  

There will not be many games at 1B for Mancini.  He goes back to LF.

That the  way I see it.  How about you?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mancini goes back to LF full-time. Davis stays at first, at always. Maybe he sits out against some lefties and you get Trumbo there, then.

There'll be some shenanigans for a little bit,  but Trumbo will be the regular RFer as soon as Santander is optioned back down. He will play mostly every day.

Pedro looked pretty good in the shift today. Maybe he plays 2B!

Buck is in a real tough place. Pedro is our second best hitter, but Trumbo is not being paid to be a weak side platoon. 

Buck has already started to bench Davis vs LHP. Trumbo can have a role at 1B with Mancini in LF and Valencia DH vs LHP.

I hate to say it, I think we are going to see Trumbo back in RF vs RHP. It's the only way he plays, and you know he is going to play. 

34 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Mancini goes back to LF full-time. Davis stays at first, at always. Maybe he sits out against some lefties and you get Trumbo there, then.

There'll be some shenanigans for a little bit,  but Trumbo will be the regular RFer as soon as Santander is optioned back down. He will play mostly every day.

The horror!

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

This. Trumbo will likely replace Santander.

7 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

An outfield of Mancini, Jones and Trumbo would certainly encourage our pitchers to make them hit it on the ground.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So we are looking at a roster of position players like this:

C-Sisco

1B-Davis

2B-Schoop

SS-Machado

3B-Peterson

LF-Mancini

CF-Jones

RF-Trumbo

DH-Alvarez

Bench: Joseph, Rickard, Valencia

???

This of course assumes Trumbo doesn't come up till Sandanter goes down.

Trumbo will be activated tomorrow. They've already sent Joey down to make room for him.

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

A Mancini-Jones-Trumbo OF would be the worst in baseball by a wide margin. 

This was almost word for word what I was going to type.  That said, i expect this to be the most common alignment we'll see.

38 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

An outfield of Mancini, Jones and Trumbo would certainly encourage our pitchers to make them hit it on the ground.

It was last year with Seth Smith. Trumbo will be a significant downgrade from Smith. I think we could be a contender for all time historical worst outfield. Can you think of a worse one?

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It was last year with Seth Smith. Trumbo will be a significant downgrade from Smith. I think we could be a contender for all time historical worst outfield. Can you think of a worse one?

The Orioles went with an outfield of Jim Traber/Ken Gerhart/Larry Sheets in either '87 or '88.  That was the worst I've ever seen.

There was also the Andres Mora/Carlos Lopez/Benny Ayala outfield in the late '70's.  First two that come to mind... and they came to mind immediately.

Archived