Buck confident in Davis' resurgence: 'It's there'

Bonecrusher52

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I doubt too many people who make 100 million dollars aren't in it for the money.   And I don't know of too many actors who made 100 million by 32 walking away from it willingly.  Acting is a lot more subjective than baseball.  But IMHO guys like Brad Pitt,  Johnny Depp,  and Adam Sand

Jeff Daniels is an example of an actor who cut back on his career to start his own theatre And a lot of actors stay in the business to fund personal projects and charities,

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Don't forget your agent.  I don't know what percentage of CD's contract is due and payable to Scott Boras, but I can't see Boras giving up is commission, can you?  If the agent gets 15%, Boras is due around $24M.

I don't have an agent.

16 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Jeff Daniels is an example of an actor who cut back on his career to start his own theatre And a lot of actors stay in the business to fund personal projects and charities,

Jeff Daniela seems to have done around 2 movies a year from his 32 to 54 ages.   And he took late career big pay days for such masterpieces as "Mama's Boy" and "Dumb and Dumber to".

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Jeff Daniela seems to have done around 2 movies a year from his 32 to 54 ages.   And he took late career big pay days for such masterpieces as "Mama's Boy" and "Dumb and Dumber to".

Of course he does those kind of films to fund his theatre and other projects. 

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Of course he does those kind of films to fund his theatre and other projects. 

So maybe Chris Davis his use his salary to fund his theater projects post career.  Fact is Daniels took big pay days in his fifties for huge salary to be in dumb movies. 

You should have mentioned Jerry Seinfeld who retired on top.  But I think Jerry makes tons of money off repeat showings of his show so it really isn't comparable either.   Once Davis retires he doesn't have another chance to make big pay days.

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Really Davis needs to go to extended spring training or some kind of training where he just focuses on his swing for a month.  I'm sure he's too proud to do that.  Expect to see Davis as a regular for a long time.  Buck batted Vlad cleanup all year.

Somebody put a pothole in the parking lot. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So maybe Chris Davis his use his salary to fund his theater projects post career.  Fact is Daniels took big pay days in his fifties for huge salary to be in dumb movies. 

You should have mentioned Jerry Seinfeld who retired on top.  But I think Jerry makes tons of money off repeat showings of his show so it really isn't comparable either.   Once Davis retires he doesn't have another chance to make big pay days.

Jeff Daniels is a fine actor but Jerry Seinfeld revolutionized the sitcom. He was paid handsomely for his innovation.

8 hours ago, weams said:

That was at the player's request.  He was done and in his final year of the agreement from what I recall. He just did not want to show up any more. 

Yes, I believe Cuddyer wanted to retire, and got some of the money owed to him while also allowing the Mets to save some as well.  This is the only way it would work for Davis - if he decided to retire, and then they could negotiate a buyout.

The ONLY other time this could happen is if the player believed they could make more money on the open market after agreeing to a buyout.  But of course that would never really happen, as the team would want to keep him if he was worth more.

4 hours ago, ChipTait said:

Don't forget your agent.  I don't know what percentage of CD's contract is due and payable to Scott Boras, but I can't see Boras giving up is commission, can you?  If the agent gets 15%, Boras is due around $24M.

In MLB, with no commission limits, players earn between $400,000 and $32 million, and agents pull in anywhere from $16,000 and $4 million. The highest-paid MLB agent in 2017 was Scott Boras, who earned $108.3 million in commissions from $1.9 billion worth of player contracts. Boras is the only sports agent in the world with more than $2 billion in active player contracts and he has 76 clients.

http://work.chron.com/average-sports-agents-commission-21083.html

Salaries aren't the only way agents make money from their clients.  Percentages can be higher for appearances, endorsements, etc.

Archived