ESPN: Jones, Oriole for life

Moose Milligan

I hate it, but I think it's in the best interests of both parties to move on.  Adam gets to hopefully go to a legit contender as a corner outfielder, and the Orioles can see what they've got from among Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Mancini, Santander, etc.  Ideally Mancini could go to 1B or DH (we all know the deal there), so I could see Adam as a corner OFer on a 2 or possibly 3 year deal, but as the article said, then he's stuck on a team that probably won't be a legit playoff team unless the young guys REALLY take off, which is not likely.

The anonymous GM quote about him being the kind of player who is going to be disappointed in free agency was about what I expected.  I think this should also apply to our sense of his trade value.  He's reached the average player phase of his career and drawing an average salary.  I don't expect much anything for him in trade, but hope to see him as a cog in a good club.  Cubs CF, or the Indians corners are the spots I'm hoping for for him come July.

21-10 came up together and are eternally bound.  As the Orioles wane as a place of interest this summer, I'm getting more into Nick's last Atlanta ride.  He's playing well, and getting to use his 2012 Orioles experience on a rising club where he'll be in the lower part of the order pretty soon.  I hope Adam can get later this summer what Nick has now.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The anonymous GM quote about him being the kind of player who is going to be disappointed in free agency was about what I expected.  I think this should also apply to our sense of his trade value.  He's reached the average player phase of his career and drawing an average salary.  I don't expect much anything for him in trade, but hope to see him as a cog in a good club.  Cubs CF, or the Indians corners are the spots I'm hoping for for him come July.

21-10 came up together and are eternally bound.  As the Orioles wane as a place of interest this summer, I'm getting more into Nick's last Atlanta ride.  He's playing well, and getting to use his 2012 Orioles experience on a rising club where he'll be in the lower part of the order pretty soon.  I hope Adam can get later this summer what Nick has now.

Cleveland trade is definitely an intriguing one.  They have so many LHs in that lineup.  They could definitely use AJ.

I think that one has legs.

o

Jones also played parts of 2 seasons with the Mariners in 2006 and 2007 ........ not that many people aside from Oriole fans and Mariners fans remember that, but he did.

o

It's an interesting question of his trade value.  He won't bring a comp pick because you're not going to make him a qualifying offer, so IMO they should trade him rather than get nothing when he walks.  As a rental he won't bring much - maybe 1 prospect from the acquiring team's Top 10?  Maybe Top 10 is too optimistic?  Top 15 maybe?  I dunno.

I'd like the Orioles to explore trading him, but he'd have to agree to the deal and even then, I'm not sure you get much of value. To me, I really don't care if we see him back in 2019 or not. I think there's good and bad. Obviously, the money in a 3/$36M deal (or whatever it'll end up being) could be better allocated, but it also won't kill the O's. The thing I do care about is for Jones to NOT be in CF anymore after this year.

If Jones is back in Baltimore next year, I hope it's in a corner spot with Mullins and Hays given chances in center. I'm fine with Mancini and Jones on the corners and a youngster battling for the CF job.

All that said, if Jones gets hot in May and June and starts looking like he can yield a solid prospect with good upside as a useful major league player, I'm ready to move on.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

It's an interesting question of his trade value.  He won't bring a comp pick because you're not going to make him a qualifying offer, so IMO they should trade him rather than get nothing when he walks.  As a rental he won't bring much - maybe 1 prospect from the acquiring team's Top 10?  Maybe Top 10 is too optimistic?  Top 15 maybe?  I dunno.

He needs to go on a run to be worthy of a roster spot on a contender.

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

e kind of player who is going to be disappointed in free agency was about what I expected.  I think this should also apply to our sense of his trade value.  He's reached the average player phase of his career and drawing an average salary.  I don't expect much anything for him in trade, but hope to see him as a cog in a good club.  Cubs CF, or the Indians corners are the spots I'm hoping for for him come July.

21-10 came up together and are eternally bound.  As

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Jones will not get more than a year in FA. Not with his OBP and declining overall production offensively and defensively. His best bet is to take a cheap 2 year extension with the O's if they indeed offer one.

Trumbo got 3 years in free agency.   I would expect if Jones stats at the end of the season are near his career norm he will get more than one year.  

4 hours ago, esmd said:

I hate it, but I think it's in the best interests of both parties to move on.  Adam gets to hopefully go to a legit contender as a corner outfielder, and the Orioles can see what they've got from among Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Mancini, Santander, etc.  Ideally Mancini could go to 1B or DH (we all know the deal there), so I could see Adam as a corner OFer on a 2 or possibly 3 year deal, but as the article said, then he's stuck on a team that probably won't be a legit playoff team unless the young guys REALLY take off, which is not likely.

I just wish he would retire an Oriole. 

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I just wish he would retire an Oriole. 

I don’t necessarily want to see Jones in center much longer, or signed to a multi-year extension, but in my mind he embodies the soul of this team more than Manny, Schoop, Britton or any other active player. I almost wish he could slide right into an FO job, but I know he’s got some solid years left and wants a ring. Can’t blame him, and he’s probably got a better chance finding that elsewhere.

Archived