PressBox: D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

weams

Just now, weams said:

"I have been pleasantly surprised," Norfolk manager Ron Johnson said. "... I'm also a little apprehensive with every player that comes up here because we've put a lot of expectations on him, and he's earned the right to develop."

In both of Stewart's previous full professional seasons, he's had slow starts but has finished the season strong. 

"He's very athletic," Johnson said. "He throws well. He obviously has some bat potential. He's got some pop. He runs well. There's a lot of tools."

Stewart is confident in Harbor Park, a venue that's been notoriously hard on left-handed power hitters. However, he's thinking about Baltimore, not Norfolk. 

"You can't really look at the way the ball flies, just hit the ball hard, make good contact, hit the ball into the gaps, hit as many doubles as you can," Stewart said.

"The power is always going to be there. When I go to Camden, it'll be able to translate. You can't worry about this field here because you know that the field you're going to be playing at [is] Camden."

"You want the most success for them," Stewart said. "You want them to win. At the same time, you also want to be a part of it. You want to help them do their jobs better."

"I got a taste of that in spring training being a part of it, but that was just a brief amount of time," Stewart said. "Now, I want to be a part of that for the long haul. I want to help those guys. Seeing them struggle honestly hurts me just because I've [established] relationships with them. Seeing them go through that and not being able to help, that hurts me. I look forward to helping them."

During the spring, Stewart's locker was near Adam Jones, who taught him about outfield positioning and the importance of routine. When Mark Trumbo was on a rehab assignment last week with the Tides in Charlotte, Stewart watched him in batting practice and took mental notes.

"You can always learn something from guys who have done it longer than you," Stewart said.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Santander down, Stewart up May 12?

I’d rather let Stewart continue to develop at Norfolk.   Recognizing that it’s a tough place to hit, he’s not setting the world on fire (.243/.313/.357).    In the short term, I’d rather see Rickard (.339/.455/.468), who’s red hot and the better defender.   I’d like to see Stewart, but later in the season. 

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather let Stewart continue to develop at Norfolk.   Recognizing that it’s a tough place to hit, he’s not setting the world on fire (.243/.313/.357).    In the short term, I’d rather see Rickard (.339/.455/.468), who’s red hot and the better defender.   I’d like to see Stewart, but later in the season. 

OPS of .607 at home, .733 away.  Pretty much classic Harbor Park Syndrome, although the sample size is really too small to mean much without prior context.

With all of that said, I agree with you, let him keep developing.  No real need to rush him up.  He's a left fielder only - where are you going to play Mancini at this point?

16 strikeouts in 80 plate appearances in AAA? He'll fit right in.

I'm not sold on DJ Stewart. He seems like a great guy. He's progressed a little through A and AA, but he's hit a wall in AAA: .243/.313/.357  - .670 OPS. I get that Norfolk can be a bit of a hitting challenge especially with the weather in April...but if anybody things this guy is going to come up and be a savior is really just hoping.

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

People can't wait to send Santander down. He's probably the best hitter of the whole bunch. 

I'm not eager to send him down (because ultimately it doesn't matter anyway - the season is done), but I am eager to see Stewart. I think Santander will be great eventually, but I don't have a problem with seeing him get rolling at AAA. 

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

People can't wait to send Santander down. He's probably the best hitter of the whole bunch. 

58 minutes ago, weams said:

He's not the OBP/slap hitter speedy guy they all want. 

I like the guy, but he’s not ready.   Let him spend a year at Bowie/Norfolk and prove he’s better than the others (or some of them).

58 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm not sold on DJ Stewart. He seems like a great guy. He's progressed a little through A and AA, but he's hit a wall in AAA: .243/.313/.357  - .670 OPS. I get that Norfolk can be a bit of a hitting challenge especially with the weather in April...but if anybody things this guy is going to come up and be a savior is really just hoping.

He's had less than a month at AAA.  Far too early to say he's hit a wall.  He also brings a batting eye that is something that this team desperately needs.  .378 OBP at Bowie last year.

No, he's not a savior, I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  He's not on anyone's top-100 lists.  But he can be an important piece if he can maintain that OBP.  Give him time at AAA.  Remember, he totally revamped his swing from his college years, which is likely a large reason for his initial struggles in pro ball.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

A 20% strikeout rate in AAA is not terribly high.   League average in the International League is 23%.    I’d like to see Stewart’s other numbers improve, but his strikeout rate is not really an issue IMO.

• Upvote 1