FEEL the power of the Dark Side...

Frobby

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I go to about 8 or 9 Nats games a year with a friend of mine who lives in Arlington.  I enjoy them.   Went last night.

But the Orioles are in my blood.   I've been a fan since I was a kid in the 70s.   When I get home from work I'm going to put on the Orioles game, not the Nats game.   I survived 1988, I survived 14 straight losing years, I can survive this downturn.

And as much as I rag on some of our broadcasters, I couldn't imagine sitting there listening to FP Santangelo 100+ times a year.

Me too heck I go back to the 60's if I can get by 1988 I can survive this, I can't stand the Washington EXPOS. I have to put with their AA TEAM IN HARRISBURG too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Harper is a player that I respect as a great ballplayer.  He will haunt us for many years as a Yankee. Despite what people say, I don't think the Yankees will be in at all on Machado. I think Bryce Harper is their guy.

I would become a Yankees fan before I became a Nationals fan and I despise the Yankees.

Born in DC and lived in PG county much of my life. 12 miles from DC and 50 miles to Baltimore. I would rather walk to OPACY then to ride to a Nats game. Never been to a Nats game and never will. Proud O's fan since 1964. I bleed orange and black. Yes they suck really bad. I mean real bad. It makes me sick to see a person from Maryland wearing a Nats jersey. You people suck. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am rather surprised by this post.  I thought you bleed Black and Orange.  I guess i was wrong..

I’m mostly just venting.    But unlike many people here, I’ve always had a secondary interest in the Nats.    I will never be passionate about them the way I am with the O’s, but I’d like to see them win the WS if the O’s can’t and I would get into a deep playoff run for them a little bit.   

I’m just so disgusted that I waited six months for the baseball season to start, and one month later it’s effectively over except for bring on “trade watch,” which I really don’t enjoy.    

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I live 19 miles from Nats Park, 42 miles from OPACY....most of my friends, neighbors and office mates want to talk Nats, not Orioles... Nats are a well run organization, O’s are totally dysfunctional... Nats are on a 6-game winning streak, O’s have lost 4 in a row and may never win again....Nats will probably contend for several more years at least, O’s are heading for the abyss....

Maybe it’s time I, er....shifted priorities.    I don’t know if I can spend 5 months watching a hapless team playing out the string....

You can do both. I am going to game tomorrow . Hopefully weather is good. Max vs Jake.

I was first a Washington Senators fan, watched plenty of their games on TV, listened to more on transistor radio, and went to a few at RFK Stadium.  My dad, who went to countless games at Griffith Stadium saw his baseball hero, Ted Williams, in person, as the Senators' last manager.  They left when I was 10. 

Switching to the Orioles was the logical move; they were in Maryland, and had been in the last 3 World Series.  However, growing up in P.G. County; there weren't O's games on the radio, TV was limited to the occasional Saturday Game of the Week (Curt Gowdy, Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek).  As a kid, trips to Memorial Stadium were few and far between and seemed so far away.  Therefore, I lived vicariously as a fan through the Sports Pages and studying the box scores.  

When baseball expanded twice, D.C. was passed over.  Tampa Bay?  Really?  Having made this short story long, I was very happy when D.C. got a team back.  My one regret was they weren't the Senators again, and Bud Selig agreed with me, but the D.C. Government didn't.  Bud wanted the relocation money and the D.C. market so he conceded, but insisted on the "curly W" cap.

Despite his cap, Williams said he doesn't want to recycle the Senators name for political reasons -- Washington doesn't have voting representation in the U.S. Senate.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1891484

No, the Nationals are not the "Dark Side."  Orioles problems began years before D.C. got a team.  I'm taking my son to Nationals Park when the Orioles are there for "University of Maryland" night (once a Terp, always a Terp).  When the two teams are at The Yard end of this month, I plan for us to be there also.  Both times, I'll be in Orioles gear.    I'll always be an Orioles fan first, Nationals second.  

Deal with it B|

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I live 19 miles from Nats Park, 42 miles from OPACY....most of my friends, neighbors and office mates want to talk Nats, not Orioles... Nats are a well run organization, O’s are totally dysfunctional... Nats are on a 6-game winning streak, O’s have lost 4 in a row and may never win again....Nats will probably contend for several more years at least, O’s are heading for the abyss....

Maybe it’s time I, er....shifted priorities.    I don’t know if I can spend 5 months watching a hapless team playing out the string....

I could never root for the Senators...oops, I mean  Nationals.   I go back to the Senators days and hated them then  And the Redskins.  

So, no...sometimes the idea of having an affair with the new, cute woman next door seems like an attractive idea. ..but it never works out.  

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I could never root for the Senators ...... oops, I mean  Nationals. I go back to the Senators days, and hated both them then and the Redskins.  

So, no ...... sometimes the idea of having an affair with the new, cute woman next door seems like an attractive idea ...... but it never works out.  

o

I'm curious, were you ever a Bullets/Wizards fan ???

And if so, did you continue rooting for them when they moved to Landover, MD in 1973 to become the Capital Bullets ???

I'm not trying to be incendiary, I'm just curious about the local fan-base and their feelings about it. I always presumed that the Bullets did not lose many fans when they moved because the Baltimore/DC area over the last 55 years has only had one basketball team between the 2 cities ........ unlike in football where you had the Colts and the Redskins, and now you have the Ravens and the Redskins, and unlike baseball where you had the Orioles and the Senators, and now you have the Orioles and the Nationals. So I thought that it was somewhat similar to when the Giants (1976) and the Jets (1984) crossed the river into northern New Jersey, but didn't lose any significant percentage of their fanbase.

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

I'm curious, were you ever a Bullets/Wizards fan ???

And if so, did you continue rooting for them when they moved to Landover, MD in 1973 to become the Capital Bullets ???

I'm not trying to be incendiary, I'm just curious about the local fan-base and their feelings about it. I always presumed that the Bullets did not lose many fans when they moved because the Baltimore/DC area over the last 55 years only one team between the 2 cities ........ unlike in football where you had the Colts and the Redskins, and now you have the Ravens and the Redskins, and unlike baseball where you had the Orioles and the Senators, and now you have the Orioles and the Nationals. So I thought it was somewhat similar to when the Giants (1976) and the Jets (1984) crossed the river into northern New Jersey, but didn't lose any significant percentage of their fanbase.

o

I did root for the Bullets and still to this day root for the Wizards...if Baltimore had replaced an NBA team, I probably would have shifted over.   But I was a huge Wes Unseld fan and it kept my interest. 

I also rooted for the Clippers but not the Capitals.  And the Bays...lol. 

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I also hate the curly W.

What is up with that? Besides coming dangerously close to trademark infringement it has no pizzazz....or understated elegance...or even classic solidity. A plain Helvetica W would be more interesting.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I live in DC, I went to the game last night. I bought at hat, and they won...I'm not changing my stance as a die hard O's fan, but I live 3 miles from Nats Park and I will be wearing my Nats hat when I attend games. 

They have a shot at the playoffs this season at least. 

4 minutes ago, Getz said:

I'm european and here we root for teams for life, what i get from this post is that people change teams in the US. Am i right?

I guess Frobby does.   ;)

I don't.

I've given up sports entirely instead of switching teams.

There is a certain type of fan, a bandwagon fan, that switches teams or only starts rooting for a local team when they start winning.

Archived